DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-08-03 14:07:00

Mirador

unable to find DNS-313 when using Clickn Connect

Hi there.. and thank you for spending time reading my problem.

SW Firewall : Bitdefender 2008 (tried both enabled and disabled).
Router : Linksys WRTG.
NAS : D-link DNS-313.
Current SATA disk : Seagate Barracuda 1TB.

Just bought the D-link DNS-313 and started with a Samsung SpinPoint 1TB disk.
I didn't find the disk when using Clickn Connect but i found the disk when i used USB-connection directly on my PC through "Disk Management". (Windows Vista Professional).

When reading the "disk compatibility" list from d-links webpages i switched the disk to a "Seagate Barracuda 1TB disk", since the only "compatible" samsung disk was a 250 gb one. Mostly all Seagate Disks seems to be working (read : forums, discussions and compatibility lists).

Either way.... using the Seagate disk, i have the same **** problem.

Error :

"Clickn Connect cant initialise your device. Please check the cables, hard drive connection and make sure the device is powered on.

If you have already set up your device with Click n Connect previously, please use the D-Link Easy Search Utility included on the CD to further configure the device."

I have no clue how to fix this now, except hoping to get assistance from you guys !

Best regards
Terje.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Some more information after research :

* When connecting directly to my pc or laptop it shows a blue light on the LED.
* WHen connecting through network (my linksys router) it constantly shows a green light.

* I have tried to reset the box, without any luck.
* I have also tried the latest Click n Connect installation.

* I have read on the forums that others are using this disk and it's working well.
* It might be that i have a old(er) Firmware than they are using, but i am not sure how i can upgrade the firmware without getting it on the net (which.. i appearantly can't).

Last edited by Mirador (2008-08-03 15:26:13)

#2 2008-08-04 07:15:55

thefalcon

Re: unable to find DNS-313 when using Clickn Connect

had the same problem with my DNS-313 I bought yesterday. It's a Vista problem, apparently.

Loaded up my Windows XP rig, and it could detect and install without a problem.

I had another idea, but didn't try it, but could you try running Click and Connect as Admin (right click on it, Run as Administrator) and see how it goes.

#3 2008-08-14 16:13:29

Iä Iä Cthulhu

Re: unable to find DNS-313 when using Clickn Connect

Hi all,

Just purchased my DNS-313 today and after running into a load of problems with it, I happened to find this forum. I'm really disappointed in the device, and cannot encourage anyone to buy it (even if I managed to get it to work, it was still too troublesome and the damn thing is making an awful lot of noise).

I had the same problem as Mirador above, and I'm running on Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I have a few other LAN disks also, such as Western Digital's World Book (which is also crappy, unless you run it only in local network without Mionet). These other disks have worked ok, and because I've spent time to get them to work I thought there should be a way to make DNS-313 to work also. My DNS-313 is running with a Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB drive inside.

It took me ages to finally get my DNS-313 going, but it was possible. This is what I did, in order to get DNS-313 working with my main Vista desktop (I had to use a second computer for help):

1. Shut down the DNS-313 device, push the reset button down and keep it pressed down while also starting up the device at the same time. Keep the two buttons pressed down until you can see the green hard drive LED light up. I'm not sure if a blue light will suffice, but if you can't get a green light then I guess you just have to roll with the blue light and keep trying.

2. Make sure your router is connected to the internet, and that you've connected DNS-313 to the router, and also a laptop or desktop that is running Windows XP. I had the privilege of using a Windows XP Home Edition, but I guess other XPs work just as well (or not). The XP machine should not be a part of a domain, so that ruled out my company laptop. This is my guess only, but since I couldn't get the damn DNS-313 to work with a domain computer, I'm betting on the domain/workgroup things to be part of the trouble. Also, either turn off Windows firewall (or whatever firewall you happen to be running) or make a rule for the setup to be allowed through it.

3. Run the latest D-Link Click'n'Connect utility, available from D-Link's website (I got my version from their UK site). Even if you've tried installing DNS-313 previously, keep clear of the repair option and just use the "New install" option instead. Well, at least I managed just to hang my setup by using the "repair" option. It's just simpler and safer to go with a completely new install.

4. After the setup has been completed with your XP machine, you can switch to the Vista computer and change the following setting: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options > Network security: LAN Manager authentication level > "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated". This setting applies only to Vista Business, Enterprise or Ultimate. For Home versions, you need to modify the registry by clicking Start > Run > "regedit.exe" > Press OK > Find the folder "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa" > Double click the value "LmCompatibilityLevel" > Set the value to be 1 > Click OK > Restart your computer. Since I'm running Vista Ultimate, I didn't have to do the registry hack and can't really comment on that.

5. After step number #4 you can run "easy_search.exe" from the package that you downloaded in step #3 above. Before the trick from step #4 I wasn't able to find the drive on my Vista desktop, but now I was able to see it, hoorray! After you can at least find the drive, you can set a manual IP (for me atleast the DHCP=Enabled option didn't work) and then open up a web browser to tweak the device further.

6. Last step: hope that the DNS-313 device doesn't fail and I don't have to go through all this trouble again ...

Note: The trick in step #4 was from DNS-323 instructions, so I guess if you're experiencing similar problems, it doesn't hurt to google for DNS-323 as well as DNS-313...

Note Two: I couldn't get uPnP to work but since I don't need it right now, I'll just skip it ...

Board footer