DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-04-09 15:58:02

nanite2000

Network Problems with Vista and DNS-313

Hi everyone! I hope you can help with a problem I've got.

I'm getting network problems with my DNS-313 that is really frustrating me. I use my unit as a NAS server that holds both music and video files. I can copy files to and from the unit without any problems at all, and I can stream music from it too. The problem is that I cannot stream videos from it. If I play an AVI file directly from the unit, playback pauses for a few seconds every 5-10 seconds. It doesn't make any difference what video player I use either - Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, or Real Player - the problem is the same on all of them. It also doesn't make any difference how the video is encoded: WMV's, AVI's, and MPG's all exhibit the same problem.

My setup is Windows Vista 32-bit connected via PowerLine Ethernet to a Gigabit hub, which in turn is connected to the DNS-313. If I copy a video file from the DNS-313 to my computer it takes around 2 and a half minutes to copy a 700MB file, so there doesn't appear to be a problem with throughput.

I also have a Windows XP computer connected to the same network, so I shared a folder from that with a copy of the same video files on it. Copying these files from my Windows XP box to my Vista box takes the same amount of time as from the DNS-313. However, I do not get the playback problem if I stream the video from my Windows XP box.

I have tried reformatting my Windows Vista box to use Windows XP instead. This resolves the video streaming problem from the DNS-313. I re-formatted it again and put Windows Vista back on - the video streaming problem returns.

I have tried reformatting the drive in the DNS-313 (A Seagate Barracuda 750GB) and installing the v1.01b12 firmware. This has not made any difference.

I've also installed the latest Ethernet drivers on my Vista box, but still the problem remains.

Conclusion: The DNS-313 has some problem with streaming video files, but only to Windows Vista. I've raised the issue with DLink, but their support team only make vague references to Vista performance problems that will be fixed in the latest firmware. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case if the latest beta is anything to go by.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'd be really interested to know how you got around it!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Board footer