DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-06-04 00:03:16

jansg

Can not initialise your device - and solid green

I just purchased a DNS-313 with Western Digital 320Gb (WD3200AAKS).
It is connected to a Netgear router WGR614v5.
My PC is a Dell laptop using XP.

When I power up, the drive led is solid green = bad, indicating little remaining capacity of the drive.
Never becomes blue og blinking.

Activity led is blue and blinking = OK, indicating connection and LAN traffic.

I run Click'n Connect (v1.0.1.10) trying to Install hard drive or Repair.
At "Preparing your hard drive" I get the message:
"Click'n Connect can not initialise your device. Please check you cables..."

I've checked and rechecked cables, hard disk. I've tried to connect the usb cable, but disk is not shown on device manager.
Ping gives no result on 192.168.0.32 or ip address assigned by MAC.
It does not appear on EasySearch og Web GUI.

Any suggestions, please?

#2 2008-06-04 01:31:04

freddygital

Re: Can not initialise your device - and solid green

maybee , firmware of your harddisk ??? to old

its happends to me , with wd2500ks

#3 2008-06-04 01:54:55

jansg

Thanks for reply! How do you update firmware? Click'n Connect failes, and I cannot access disk via usb?

#4 2008-06-28 23:50:23

denis.arnaud

jansg wrote:

Thanks for reply! How do you update firmware? Click'n Connect failes, and I cannot access disk via usb?

I've just received the DNS-313, and got the exact same problem as you mentionned. I've tried with new HD (Samsung HD753LJ 750GB), which is apparently not supported, according to: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/product/ … Descending
So, I've tried with an older HD, a Maxtor DiamondMax 6V160E0 250GB, which is officially supported by DLink (ftp://ftp.dlink.hu/dns/dns-313/document … 080104.pdf), with no more success.
Since I cannot get access to the Web interface (http://192.168.0.32 does not answer, even when there is no DHCP), I cannot know which versionof the firmware that device gets.

So, if you eventually achieved to have that device work, I'd be happy to know how you managed to.

Thanks

Best Regards

Denis

Last edited by denis.arnaud (2008-06-28 23:51:20)

#5 2008-06-29 01:17:59

slappy

Hi,

Just bought my DNS-313 today and had same issue with one of my drives. I checked D-Link and got latest software.

I fixed my green light as follows.

Downloaded the latest DCC and used the repair function.
I didn't have to do anything since the DCC shows how to actually force your device into green light mode. Since my device was already in green light mode I just clicked next...

The  DCC I found here

http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=gNTyP9CnptFM … 3JP+9prA==

Had green light with my DNS-313 and managed to get it working first go. Then I upgraded my firmware also on that page to 1.01

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by slappy (2008-06-29 01:20:57)

#6 2008-06-29 12:01:00

denis.arnaud

I've downloaded the latest DCC, as you suggested, and there's a new "Repair" item in the menu, that's right. I did the factory reset, but like you say, my HD led was already solid green, and the reset operation did not change anything.

Note that, when connected via USB, the HD led is solid blue, and I get access to the disk (recognised as mass storage device by both Windows and Linux). So, I tried a lot of options: HD formatted (a single partition) in ext2, ext3, NTFS, FAT32 and, of course, unformatted/unpartionned. When the HD was readable (e.g., ext2, FAT32), I got access through USB, but never through Ethernet cable (each time, when I switch the cable, I follow the procedure to switch off the device, change the cable position, switch on the device when the DCC installer tells me to do so).

It's very strange that the light is blue when USB, green when Ethernet. So, obviously, the HD itself is well connected (but maybe not recognised by the DNS, though it appears in the official list of DLink: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB).

When on Ethernet, I try all http://192.168.0.x URLs, without success. So, I actually cannot access to the Web interface. When I look the network traffic with iptraf (on Linux), I see some UDP traffic from the DNS to the gateway, but apparently it cannot obtain an IP address. iptraf reports: "UDP (52 bytes) from 0.0.0.0:unisql-jav to 255.255.255.255:unisql (src HWaddr 001cf0xxxxxx) on eht0".
So, I guess that when the DNS is still not initialised, it does not know how to get an IP address?
Note that the network led is solid blue, sometimes blinking (when sending the above-mentionned UDP packet).

I've also tried to connect directly the DNS, with the Ethernet cable, directly on my Windows machine. Of course, it does not work any better.

If you get ideas on what I could try next, do not hesitate!

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Denis

#7 2008-06-29 12:38:24

slappy

Hi Dennis,

When you ran through the DCC, and following the second step on repair, it tries to detect the device. What did it do at that point? Also make sure you are connected via ethernet when you run the DCC.

#8 2008-06-29 13:23:19

denis.arnaud

slappy wrote:

When you ran through the DCC, and following the second step on repair, it tries to detect the device. What did it do at that point? Also make sure you are connected via ethernet when you run the DCC.

It tries to find the DNS, but cannot and pops up the "Click'n connect can not initialise your device." (say, after 20 seconds). Of course, the Ethernet cable is inserted (and works, I've tested it independantly), and links the DNS-313 to an Ethernet switch, that latter being connected to a router/DHCP.

With another computer under Linux, I observe the LAN traffic, and see that when powered on, the DNS emits one UDP packet, referenced as "(UDP) from 0.0.0.0:bootpc to 255.255.255.255:bootps (HWAddrs xxxx)" (meaning that the DNS tried to receive an IP address from the DHCP), and then another UDP packet, referenced as "(UDP) from 0.0.0.0:unisql-jav to 255.255.255.255:unisql (HWAddrs xxxx)",  every 5 seconds. I do not understand why the DNS sends "UniSQL-Java" requests to the LAN (that must be proprietary protocol, using port dedicated to UniSQL-Java).

But, apparently, the DNS could not obtain an IP address (where as every computer on the same LAN can). But I guess that the DNS must be configured a first time (through the Click'n'Connect software), to be able to then know how to obtain an IP address. If you get details on that part, I'd glad to know them.

Also, if you know how to upgrade the firmware without any access to the Web interface (for instance, thanks to the USB port, which is working for me), I'd be glad as well.

Thanks

Best Regards

Denis

Last edited by denis.arnaud (2008-06-29 13:34:59)

#9 2008-06-30 02:41:07

denis.arnaud

Hello!

By following the nice documentation, provided elsewhere on the forum (http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t2350-inst … mmies.html ), for installing Debian on the DNS-313 via the USB port, all is now fine. Of course, I got a Debian Etch, with no graphical nor webmin capabilities, as such. However, apt-get is fully functional, and I installed ssh and vsftpd in a snap. Wonderful!

I still have to install a NFS server, so that it will be much better than the standard FTP server of the D-Link firmware.

Thanks to all for your support.

Denis

#10 2009-01-31 01:04:32

rleishman

I had the same problems and finally got the DNS-313 working with a 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda. I posted the method here: http://dns323.kood.org/forum/p16333-200 … 49:13.html

Board footer