DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-06-22 07:03:36

robinson

[REL] Fan control script

This was listed on a different post (in the DNS-323 forum), so I cannot take all of the credit. I did spice it up a bit.

note: This is ONLY for the DNS-343, since the fan speed parameters are different, so the DNS-323 fanctrl ffp won't work correctly.

Because the airflow was also a little starved over the mid-section of the NAS, I also cut the middle section of the metal plate on the backside of the front-panel. Seriously... I don't plan on playing football with this thing, and I'd rather have the air flow. It took about 15 minutes to get some nice cuts on the metal, and I got a lot cooler on mainboard and on the middle two drives by doing so.

I'm currently running this in my closet, and am at 39c.

Once you install the script with funpkg -i fanctl-dns343.1.0.tgz, it will automatically start at reboot. You can start it sooner by going to /ffp/start and typing ./fanctrl.sh start.

note: i'm running 1.03b70 firmware.

edit: I cleaned up the filename. Nothing else has changed.

Last edited by robinson (2009-06-28 20:36:58)

Attachments:
Attachment Icon fanctl-dns343.1.0.tgz, Size: 1,471 bytes, Downloads: 665

#2 2009-06-28 09:41:54

robinson

Re: [REL] Fan control script

So I just found out:

When running my fan script, it disables the fancontrol process. (on purpose)

This is good and bad:
- good because we don't want two processes fighting over the fan speed.
- bad because it makes the OLED temp reading inaccurate (because fancontrol updates that somehow.) This is possible to manually check: 'temperature g 0' does the trick

edit: maybe not the case? The OLED still updates it's temp apparently. I just have no idea when/how.

edit2: so there are different temps.
    - mainboard/system temp (40c here is "ok". This is also what the OLED shows)
    - HDD temps. (40c here is "not good")

I'm going to work out some scripts which will poll the HDD temps too, and kick on the fans when necessary, utilizing all info instead of just the system temp.

Last edited by robinson (2009-07-01 05:39:53)

#3 2011-01-27 22:29:10

ouija

Re: [REL] Fan control script

Looks like there are a couple of options available for the DNS 343 and the fan control issue.  If your device is locking up or freezing with the fans turned on, this is because of a bug when the system sets the fan control from OFF to HIGH (apparently it needs to go from OFF to LOW to HIGH).   

There is a script out by timezlicer which addresses this, and can be found here: http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5442
(Direct download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BEQ8AC2Q)

D-LINK has also apparently addressed the issue in a BETA firmware for the DNS-343 (Version 1.04 beta03) which can be downloaded directly from here: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dns343/B … 3_beta.zip and has the following changes:

Version 1.04 beta03

1. Bugfix : fixed unable to connect to 343 by using Netbios name in ADS mode.
2. Updates UPnP AV Server to support Windows 7 Media Player 12.
3. Device Lockup bugfix : Fan Control : changes design to Off -> Low -> High Speed instead of going from Off -> High when temperature reached the high speed threshold.
4. OLED warning message "DISK IS FULL" can be enabled or disabled by user.
5. Email Alert : allow user to set temperature threshold from 1% to 100%.
6. UPnP AV server bugfix : %20 is used instead of a space on all files and directories.
7. UPnP AV server bugfix : work with mpeg4.

I haven't used the beta firmware yet myself, and am going to try out timezlicer's method first as I have too much data to backup and possibly have to re-initialize my drives after.  If anyone does update the firmware, please post your results back -- and let me know if you did indeed need to re-initialize your drives after the upgrade, or if it retained the arrays as they were (doubtful).

I will also post back my experience with timezlicer's fancontrol script.

Board footer