DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-07-27 07:53:33

bkamen
Website

Jumbo Packets and Windows (XP mostly)

I have a Gbit NIC from RealTek and turned on Jumbo Frames and set to 9K

My switch is a Dlink DGS-1216T Gb switch and has Jumbo Frames turned on (with a 10K limit)

My DNS-343 has Jumbo Frames enabled and set for 9K limit.

Doesn't work. Can't view my shares. Can't even admin the web interface UNTIL I set windows back to Jumbo Frames DISABLED.

Anyone else had luck/insight for this?

Thanks,

-Ben

EDIT: I tried various frame sizes and updated my realtek drivers to latest version with no luck.

Last edited by bkamen (2009-07-27 08:32:39)

--
Ben - Don't Ask me how I fixed it - I have no idea what I'm doing!
============================================
http://www.benjammin.net/

#2 2009-07-27 16:42:41

bkamen
Website

Re: Jumbo Packets and Windows (XP mostly)

Update on some things I tried:

No matter what, I can't ping Windows own interface (the RealTek) with oversize packets with any success. Complains that the ping needs to fragment but DF (the -f) is set.

The DNS-343 DOES succeed in something similar - but I can't set the "Don't Fragment" flag with ping as there is none. But I can ping large packets and if I try to ping my switch, those fail too for whatever reason.

So I realize this isn't DNS-343 related at this point, but if someone has had success with winXP and the DNS-343, I'd like to hear about your environment and settings.

-Ben

p.s. I read on the D-Link DNS-343 forum that people have this working on the DNS-323, but they don't mention the specifics I'm looking for here.. (i.e. DNS-343 functionality confirmation and settings of their Windows Hosts (if applicable) )

Last edited by bkamen (2009-07-27 16:54:54)

--

#3 2009-07-28 21:08:42

bkamen
Website

Re: Jumbo Packets and Windows (XP mostly)

UPDATE:

It turns out one of my other computers with embedded ethernet has an Intel Pro/1000 MT NIC -- which I updated drivers for and enabled Jumbo Frame Support -- to 9014 bytes (this is the actual stated setting) unlike the RealTek (9K MTU).

I tested it with my DNS-343 and it works fine. So the problem is on the RealTek.

I just thought I would share in case anyone else was wondering or having issues.

Last edited by bkamen (2009-07-28 21:28:29)

--

Board footer