DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-09-03 15:30:41

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

Hdd-boot kernel

Right now this post is mainly draft and I will use this myself to keep track to my progress since I work on this from different sites where I don't have all local stuff and paches available.

This patches are designed to make NSA-220 boot Genlink from internal hard disk.

Files you need and why you need them:

- Kernel source
It says NSA-220 PLUS but all NSA-220 versions have same kernel source. So don't worry.

- ARM eabi cross compile
You can also use cross compiler provided by Zyxel but it does not have full eabi support, so you will need to do some minor patching. Although codesourcery g++ lite works just fine.

- limits.h patch
Its needed on some distros if you get error about PATH_MAX.

- base patch including .config, button driver and hdd boot patch
This is "clean" and well tested part of hdd-boot patchset. .config is optimized for small kernel image size.
Rootfs should be reiserfs and for storage partitions you could use jfs.
Later I probably write something more about button driver but it is self explanatory if you look into patch or driver source file.

- old disk suspension method patch
This patch will downgrade disk suspending method to the one used in older version of firmware. Its needed because "d_suspdtime" method is not working correctly under hdd-boot.
This patch will set disk suspend time to 30 minutes. You can change it before compiling your kernel.
Later I probably add hdd led color changes if disk is suspended or running.
Also I want to say that this patch is optional. You don't need this patch if disk suspension is not needed or if you have a script to renew broken d_suspdtime parameter if it resets, using cron and maybe ramdisk.

Last edited by sala (2009-09-04 10:13:43)

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

#2 2009-09-06 02:28:14

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

Re: Hdd-boot kernel

Here is precompiled binaries I use.

- Flashable kernel image. Note that this image must only be flashed using method described in this post.
- Tftp bootable kernel image. Use this guide to boot.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

Board footer