DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-10-06 13:33:51

humpda

Would you buy again?...some opinions please.

Hi
I am looking at buying a NAS.  My needs are pretty simple....I would like it to stream to an xbox 360 avi/divx files, music and images as well as provide some external access when necessary.  I would be looking at leaving the NAS on for long periods of time so my family can use it for streaming as opposed to a pc.  The Dlink 313 seems to fit the bill for around $150 AUD.  Are users finding it working reliably now with the XBOX 360?  I would look at having a play with the funplug plugin....to see if I could install a torrent client (eg ctorrent) as the download manager seems pretty simple.  The other option is twice as pricey...the 323.  It costs $300 AUD, seems to do a bit more...eg has torrent client built in and supports dual HDD with faster processor/increased ram.  Would users of the 313 purchase this NAS again, or am I better off looking at the 323? 

Cheers

#2 2009-11-28 12:58:56

ArcanuS_ME

Re: Would you buy again?...some opinions please.

My first goal with DNS-313 was to transfer all my movies to it (~500GB of MP4, Divx, MKV) so all my flatmates can access it by streaming.

Since I'm not satisfied with included UPnP server I installed MediaTomb (it was incredibly easy) and now I'm really satisfied, because it does the job I wanted.

Cons are: Incredibly low speed I'm getting (~3000KBps) over FE connectio to Wi-Fi AP.
Unstable transfers (but I managed to override it transfering files over FTP protocol.

#3 2009-11-28 13:00:01

ArcanuS_ME

Oh, yea...

Nope, I would not buy DNS-313 again. Instead I would buy DNS-323 smile

#4 2009-12-02 01:08:13

rapo

DNS-313 is a low-budget NAS.
You get what you pay, but with the Fonz Fung Plug and/or Debian Lenny it gains a great value.
My transfer rate through cabled Ethernet is quite good after using the right MTU value.
I don't like the Dlink firmware: with the fonz fun plug installed I can't manage the Itune server and the UPnP AV server, but i don't miss them :-)) (I Hate ITunes and I'm using MediaTomb as Upnp Video Server)

#5 2009-12-04 10:35:05

Saracen

No :-(

The transfer rate is poor and I'm forced to connect it via USB at least once a month to sort out the NTFS corruption.

It doesn't seem to work with most of the sync tools I've used, so I'm forced to use a fairly basic one and even then the drives can simply disappear from the network mid copy.

It used to be a cheap option from a known company but I think the designed out the reliability instead of the cost :-(

My next NAS will be a FreeNAS box.

Board footer