DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-11-08 11:10:25

jcassidy

DNS-313, Lossless Itunes showing time "Not Available" solution

I have a DNS-313, used as a shared network drive, containing my iTunes library. When I rip using Apple Lossless, the resulting track shows "Not Available" in the time column, and iTunes cannot access the file.

The ripped file is different to the file I get if I rip to a local drive, and is missing some header information. If I rip locally and copy to the DNS-313, it all work fine (but is annoying to keep changing the library location).

The problem is related to the Opportunistic Locking on the DNS-313. Unfortunately the latest BIOS for my Hardware version does not offer the OpLock parameter through the web browser configuration.

The initial solution was to switch off opportunistic locking in the smb.conf file, and then the rips were fine.
NOTE - rebooting the DNS-313 reverts to the initial state, and it you do the edit on smb.conf while smb is running, it gets corrupted by a restart.

Steps:
1. Switch on Telnet:
    Navigate to the web config pages to logon
    Navigate to /
2. Telnet to the server (telnet from a command prompt from Windows). Vista has telnet switched off sometimes - switch it on through control panel / programs and settings)
3. Log in as user root, password 11111
4. You will get no prompt. Enter 5784468 and return to get a prompt.
5. Navigate to /etc/samba
6. smb stop
7. Edit the smb.conf file (using vi) to add the line in the share section (at the very end if you only have 1 share)
    level2 oplocks = False
8. (You could also be more specific to retain performance of oplocks for non-music files)
9. smb start

I suspect the fun_plug can make this persist through a reboot, but I'm new to this, so that's for another day.

Also at http://www.joncassidy.com/naslosslessrip.html .

Last edited by jcassidy (2009-11-18 13:40:56)

Board footer