DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-12-25 19:29:37

mimichiel

SYS light keeps Blinking, can't acces my NSA 220.

After some searching on the internet I ran into this forum and I hope someone here can help me with my problem:
After a electricity hick-up my NSA 220 doesn't boot: the SYS light keeps on blinking. I tried to switch it on and off a couple times, reset it, but nothing works: the SYS light keeps blinking. The HDD lights are on, the way it should be.

I'm very concerned about alle the pictures and movies (from my kids) I have stored on the device. It would be a disaster if they are lost. I bought this device to safely store this valuable data in a "Raid1 way".

So my questions are:
- what is the course of the blinking light, can I fix it?
- is there a chance i lost my data?

#2 2009-12-25 20:22:43

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

Re: SYS light keeps Blinking, can't acces my NSA 220.

mimichiel wrote:

So my questions are:
- what is the course of the blinking light, can I fix it?

The blinking light is the default powerup status of the SYS-LED. Also on powerup a bootloader is started, which loads and starts a Linux kernel, which starts a script, which initializes all NAS functions (raid array, webserver, samba server, ...) and as last action it stops the blinking.
So somewhere in the process the system stops.
I *think* you have a hardware problem. The box consists of 4 parts, the box itself, the two disks, and the powersupply. You can try to remove the disks, and all usb devices, to see if the box itself will bootup. If it does, try to add a disk. If that fails, try the other.
When the empty box doesn't boot, try another powersupply, if possible. (19V 1A should be sufficient, without harddisks)

- is there a chance i lost my data?

Well, let's invert the question, is there a chance you can rescue the data? Yes there is. As long as one of the disks is still alive, you can read your data, using a Linux PC. (Any PC booted from a Linux Live CD is sufficient)

BTW, RAID1 is *not* a automatic backup. It´s a redundancy system. Read this.

Last edited by Mijzelf (2009-12-25 20:29:13)

#3 2009-12-25 22:46:54

mimichiel

Hi Mijzelf, you must be dutch? ik ben meestal ook mijzelf, maar nu even niet ;-)

Thanks for the quick and very complete reply, even on a christmasday!

- The first thing i'll do is try to rescue the data. I will put one of the disks in a external hard drive case. I'm not really into linux. Can I use www.fs-driver.org to read the HD in an windows environment or do i have to use a Linux Live CD and will the USB drive be accessible using the live CD?
- If my data is still alive, next thing will be signing into an online backup service, this has been on my mind for a long time (or do you recommend a better way to automatically backup the essential data?)

If this works i'll be a happy man again!

After this i will try to do your elimination tests to figure out what was the problem.

I will keep you informed...

#4 2009-12-26 00:20:34

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

mimichiel wrote:

- The first thing i'll do is try to rescue the data. I will put one of the disks in a external hard drive case. I'm not really into linux. Can I use www.fs-driver.org to read the HD in an windows environment or do i have to use a Linux Live CD and will the USB drive be accessible using the live CD?

No, you can't use Windows because you'll have to assemble the raid array. I have not much time now, you can read more here. Let me know if more help is needed.

#5 2009-12-26 22:42:19

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

mimichiel wrote:

ik ben meestal ook mijzelf, maar nu even niet ;-)

Ik daarentegen, probeer te allen tijde Mijzelf te blijven.

- If my data is still alive, next thing will be signing into an online backup service, this has been on my mind for a long time (or do you recommend a better way to automatically backup the essential data?)

First rule for important data is that it should be stored at at least to different devices, where the two disk of a raid1 array count as one device. But the hardisk of a computer and a NAS are fine. (Until your house burns down)
I have no experience with online backupservices, but I suppose it can be reliable. I wonder how long it takes before the data is synced the first time.
When you like to solve things yourself you could take two NASses, from which one is located at a friend's place, and which are configured to synchronize over the internet. The first sync can be done in your own LAN. However, it takes some effort to get it working. The NSA-220 doesn't support this out of the box. But with an ffp-stick it is perfectly possible.

#6 2009-12-27 14:41:41

mimichiel

I still couldn't take any action, because the usb case was not for SATA. I will buy a USB to SATA converter tomorrow and i'll keep you informed about the progress.

#7 2009-12-30 18:51:01

mimichiel

At last the converter has been delivered and i tried the method listed in this post http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4910:
- I have the Harddisc connected with the usb-sata converter
- I have Ubuntu running with the live cd
- I can see the "File system" as it is called in Ubuntu
- I found the terminal and tried the command "ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb", this is what i got back:
Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x5f7fce12

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1          16      128488+  83  Linux
/dev/sdb2              17      121601   976631512+  83  Linux

- so i tried "ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md0 /dev/sdb2" but i got this back "sudo: mdadm: command not found"

It looks I got kind of stuck. as I told before this is my first linux experience, so i must be doing something wrong......maybe something really stupid?

#8 2009-12-30 19:25:01

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

Install mdadm first:

Code:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mdadm

You'll have to repeat that each time you reboot your PC, it's installed on a RAM drive.

#9 2009-12-30 20:34:50

mimichiel

Briliiant!

It's all working and i'm copying my valuable files to another HD at this moment!!!!

Thanks a million for the tips&tricks.

Board footer