DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-03-04 19:52:06

zitoon

How to add a partition on DNS 313

Hello,

I'm new here, and I have a problem :
I use a DNS 313 on my network with a 1.5 T disc, for sharing my multimedia with a Netgear EVA8000 player : http://www.netgear.com/Products/Enterta … A8000.aspx
The shares are OK, and EVA can see the DNS, and read the content.
EVA is using a media library to index the shares (for a quick search and load of the library), and save this library in a TXT file.
My problem is that EVA can ONLY write this library on a FAT32 share. The only solution for me is to plug an USB stick on the EVA, and ask her to save library on it.
The DNS HDD is in NTFS, and I would like to reduce the volume (I did it with the Vista disk utility), and format this new volume in FAT32 in order to be able to save on it.
I have 3 computers :
1 Seven 64 bits
1 Vista 64 bits
1 Ubuntu 9.10
Is there a trick to mount a new volume on the NAS (volume_2 ???)
Can I do that with Freenas or something like that ?
Thanks for your help !

Et si il y a des Français pointus  sur ce sujet, ce sera plus simple pour dialoguer !!!!

#2 2010-03-04 22:08:32

Electrocut

Re: How to add a partition on DNS 313

zitoon wrote:

My problem is that EVA can ONLY write this library on a FAT32 share. The only solution for me is to plug an USB stick on the EVA, and ask her to save library on it.

Is the DNS-313 connected to the EVA with Ethernet or USB ? If it is connected with Ethernet, there is no reason why the "EVA" device can't write to your DNS-313. Because your DNS-313 is a network (samba) share, the filesystem (FAT32/NTFS) doesn't matter.

The DNS HDD is in NTFS, and I would like to reduce the volume (I did it with the Vista disk utility), and format this new volume in FAT32 in order to be able to save on it. Is there a trick to mount a new volume on the NAS (volume_2 ???)

I don't know if the DNS-313 Linux kernel has "fat32" filesystem support enabled, but if it is the case, you should be able to mount the new volume "/dev/sda5" to "/mnt/HD_a5", with the command:
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/HD_a5

then edit the config file /etc/samba/smb.conf according to your needs, and restart smbd.

But again, I'm almost sure that FAT32 won't help, because the DNS-313 is seen as a network drive, whatever the filesystem FAT32/NTFS.

Advice: partition modifications should be done from a Linux computer, through USB.

Et si il y a des Français pointus  sur ce sujet, ce sera plus simple pour dialoguer !!!!

We should make an effort to write in English, so everybody can understand the conversation (useful for us, and for everybody !)

Last edited by Electrocut (2010-03-04 22:17:34)

DNS-313

#3 2010-03-05 10:28:53

zitoon

Hello,
Thanks for your answer !
EVA can't write on NTFS :
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=49361
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.ph … ight=FAT32 (post #4)

The DNS is connected to a 1GB Netgear switch via ethernet.
The EVA is connected to this switch via CPL

I tried to format my new partition in Windows (USB connected) : Operation not allowed.
I tried via GParted on my Ubuntu computer, I had a message : (style) Unable to created more than 4 partitions....

Where should I do "mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/HD_a5" 
And where can I edit /etc/samba/smb.conf ? On the NAS ? I tried to go to root folder via Ubuntu, but I had an user and pass to provide...
is it root:passwd ? (seen on this forum)

Thanks for your help !

Last edited by zitoon (2010-03-05 12:02:37)

#4 2010-03-05 14:58:03

Electrocut

Lack of NTFS support is when the device is connected through USB ... (USB stick, etc..)
When you are using a network drive, I'm almost sure filesystem doesn't matter (the samba server, on the Linux network drive, is doing the job, to "hide" the filesystem type)

DNS-313

#5 2010-03-06 14:46:04

zitoon

Sorry, but NO.
EVA can't write on NTFS, even if it's on a network drive. (as seen on the links I posted...)

#6 2010-03-06 16:19:15

Electrocut

Sorry, I've read the previous threads again, and I couldn't find any information that would confirm, that writing to an NTFS SMB share does not work, because filesytem type is not supposed to matter, when reading / writing on an SMB share (network drive)

muzicman61 (forum.netgear.com) wrote:

You should be able to save it to any SMB share on your network. Not sure exactly what your problem is that you feel you need to use a USB stick.

For sure, if you say that writing other the network to Windows7 works (am I right ?), but to the DNS-313 doesn't, there should be a problem somewhere...
So maybe the problem is somewhere else ? File permission ... ?

For all the modifications I talk above (editing smb.conf, mounting a new partition), you need install fun_plug on your DNS-313, any use telnet or ssh to type the commands. The NAS root file system is erased each time the device starts ... so you will need to write into fun_plug start script file, if you want your modifications to be done automatically on start-up.

But again, I'm not sure trying to share a FAT32 partition over the network, is the way to go ...

DNS-313

#7 2010-03-06 16:29:25

Electrocut

Have a look at this thread: http://idefix.net/~koos/irregular.php/i … nux-server
The guy has created another SMB share, just for the EVA to write its library ...

Could be interesting to do the same.

DNS-313

#8 2010-03-07 10:54:11

zitoon

You were right man !
I changed the rights for my "LIBRARY" share folder on the NAS.
I created a user "EVA" with a password, and allowed this user to read write, and nor "Everybody".
I has a shared folder to scan on my EVA, with the new User and Password settings.
Ans EVA managed to write on it !
I think it was a Samba/EVA problem, who needed a user:password to write on it, even if from a computer (Win or Linux) I can write on those shares.
Thanks for your help !!!!!

Last edited by zitoon (2010-03-07 10:54:41)

Board footer