DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-04-22 13:10:34

Androw

Transmission hangs up on DNS-313

I have D-Link DNS-313 (revision B1, firmware v2.00) and decided to install Transmission (ver 1.92-1) Program is working, but in some cases it hangs up system! Most often, when downloading is pretty fast (about 2 MB/s) and I'm using web-interface to view or add a new download or even change options it hangs!!! System not answer to telnet, to ping or any others accept - all is freezing. In this case only reset can help. HDD seems still working, and power button too.

Here is log-file: http://rapidshare.com/files/378764714/t … n.log.html

#2 2011-06-17 00:23:23

L1

Re: Transmission hangs up on DNS-313

I've had the same issue lately with Transmission. For some unknown reason, it started to freeze my DNS-313 completly (no telnet, no ssh, no web, no ftp: nothing) to the point I had to power it down, and reboot.

I Decided to upgrade to latest release  2.31 that can be found by Kylek at this address: http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t2719-%5BR … ssion.html

But the problem remains.

On the transmission official site (https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/NAS)  they are saying this:
    transmission-daemon needs to be run with EVENT_NOEPOLL defined on the environment. This applies to all versions of libevent, up to the current (2.0.11-stable). Reason: epoll has bugs on the kernel shipped with these devices.

Example: EVENT_NOEPOLL=1 transmission-daemon -f
incorporated into the start-up script (needs to be adapted to the specific script used)

Problem: I have no idea what this means (what is epoll, what does it do, and how do I pass this command ?

can anyone enlight me ?

#3 2011-07-01 22:29:43

L1

Ok, about those hangs: my started working again! I've upgraded to latest Kylek version, and started clean from scratch
The best explaination I have at this stage, is that it could be a faulty torrent file. Maybe you should delete all the torrents from transmission, and start from new ones ?

#4 2011-07-03 15:49:03

Electrocut

L1 wrote:

Example: EVENT_NOEPOLL=1 transmission-daemon -f
incorporated into the start-up script (needs to be adapted to the specific script used)

Problem: I have no idea what this means (what is epoll, what does it do, and how do I pass this command ?

can anyone enlight me ?

The start-up script you need to edit is /ffp/start/transmission.sh

The file content (simplified):

Code:

TRANSMISSION_HOME=/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon
name="transmission-daemon"
command="/ffp/bin/$name"
start_cmd="transmission_start"
transmission_start()
{
   echo "Starting $name"
   su $user -c "$command -f -g ${TRANSMISSION_HOME} 1>${TRANSMISSION_HOME}/$name.log 2>&1 &"
}
[...]

As I understand, you need to replace su $user -c "$command -f" with su $user -c "EVENT_NOEPOLL=1 $command -f"

But as I don't use transmission, I don't know if the "event pool" thing will help ;-)

For the moment, I use ctorrent instead of transmission. I think it fits better than transmission, on small devices like the DNS-313 (low CPU / Memory resources). But sometimes, I get corruption on files downloaded with ctorrent (specially big torrents files)

Last edited by Electrocut (2011-07-03 15:56:49)

DNS-313

#5 2011-07-04 22:18:04

L1

Aaaah! thank you for your answer... I never got any until now, and could not figure out what this was about

I've managed to get transmission working again (and when it's working, I find that it's doing it's job just fine)..  but in case the problem comes back, I'll try it

Board footer