DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-05-18 14:37:46

rowicom

harddisk always busy

In my DNS-313 with a 500 Gb Western Digital disk (modelnumber later if you like), the harddisk most of the time stays busy, at least it seems to me.
I mean this: after shutting down all three pc’s connected to the same switch on which the DNS-313 is connected, you can hear the device is reading or writing and it does not stop, even after hours! The blue harddisk-led keeps blinking in a random pattern, as seen when writing a file to the unit. Unnecessarily to tell that the drive won’t spin down either.

When I reboot the device (or after power cycling) the device acts normal. There is no abnormal activity then. Even spinning down works fine after the configured 10 minutes.
I think the weird behaviour occurs after writing something to the disk, which behaviour already has been signalled by anybody else on this forum. I turned off almost any feature: ftp, upnp, itunes, time sync, mailreports, etc.

I have firmware 1.04 and would like to try version 1.03b4 to see if that eliminates the problem. Is it possible to downgrade without any danger of data-loss?
Anyone other thougts about the above mentioned problem??

#2 2010-08-17 12:23:13

rowicom

Re: harddisk always busy

Lskjdh wrote:

Hello,Then my computer started running very slowly. Some times it runs fine, but
most of the time the programs run very slowly. The latest is the hard drive
sounds like it's processing something, even when I'm not doing anything on
the computer. It will go for a long time (30 seconds easily) but then as
soon as I move the mouse, the sound stops.

I think you replied in the wrong message... This has nothing to do with my problem...

Board footer