DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-08-20 22:43:59

twg

how to stress test 1 drive at a time in a RAID5 setup

ok, so my DNS343 is slowing down, streaming AV over a 1gig wired network results in choppiness.

I have a feeling it's the same problem I experienced in the beginning. Namely one of the WD15EADS-0P80 drives is acting up. I did a search and it's quite common for these drives to all of a sudden start slowing down for no apparent reason, and they will pass all the SMART and disc tests.

I need to be able to stress test each individual drive in my RAID5 setup (4 drives total) to determine wihch drive to replace.

How would I be able to do that ? Even a simple copy could work, but i need it isolated to that specific drive.

I have about 4TB worth of data on my RAID5 and I won't be able to move that data off to a temp. space.

#2 2010-08-31 22:07:55

caust1c

Re: how to stress test 1 drive at a time in a RAID5 setup

I wish I could help you, I am experiencing a similar problem but it is on my network and I cannot for the life of my figure out why.

Wired through gigabit ethernet I will often get choppy video intermitantly.
- Worse, my transfer speeds over wired are GREAT!  Like I often get 25MB/sec reads of my RAID5 DNS-343, I just get this "stutters" or something.

Wireless over 2.4ghz N (between 200 and 300mpbs) and I have never got a single hicup with 1080p videos... (IE 90 minute movie around 15gigabytes)

I wish I could figure out what was slowing me down but I don't have the knowledge...  Perhaps it isn't simply your drives?

Board footer