DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-09-13 22:06:54

mao

DNS-Disk Upgrade - Installation via linux

Hello,

I had a hell of day to upgrade my dns-313 from an old hitachi 320GB disk to a brand new Samsung of 1.5 TB.

I had a fully working situation with the old Hitachi, but a fixed "green light" when tryng installing the new disk.

The new disk of 1.5TB was working via USB, but the 313 was simply not starting in "ethernet mode".

I mean... the 313 simply was not reachable via 192.168.0.32,  nor via dhcp, nor in any other case.

I tried all the things found here on these forum (single cable dhcp, low ip range etc), but nothing was working.

but i discovered that having the 320GB disk it is possible to replicate via DD the partitions and get the new disk up and running.

what i did is:

- startup a linux macihne (I had around one ubuntu
- mount both the disk (old one and new one) via usb
- recreate the partitions on the new disk paying attention to the correct order (first time I created the NTFS as last and all the partitions numbers got screwed and system was not booting), meaning:
         \dev\sdd1  --> 518MB linux swap
         \dev\sdd2  --> 1.5 TB NTFS labeled USER_DATA
         \dev\sdd3  --> 518MB ext2 labeled SYSTEM
         \dev\sdd4  --> 518MB ext2 labeled DATA_BASE

creating the NTFS of the right size is the most difficult part, because I didn't know how big I was able to create it to keep enough space for the system and data_base partitions

then I did some shell commands to duplicate the partitions:

sudo dd if=/dev/sdc1 of=/dev/sdd1
note for partition 3 you just need to format it as NTFS
sudo dd if=/dev/sdc3 of=/dev/sdd3
sudo dd if=/dev/sdc4 of=/dev/sdd1

then there was to set the bootable flag on /dev/sdd3:

fdisk /dev/sdd
p --> lists all partitions
a --> enter menu to set bootble flag
3--> set bootflag on partition 3
w--> writes the updated table (if you forget this it wont save the modification...)
p--> lets check the differences...

Hope this helps someone

bye
maurizio

#2 2010-11-13 23:37:09

Gordon Freeman

Re: DNS-Disk Upgrade - Installation via linux

Hi.
I have bought the DNS-313 a while ago and had to change the hd. The problem is that the old HD is dead and the DNS-313 reset button is not working (which seems to be frequent), so I cannot just copy the files.
Anyway, I was guessing that if all it takes is to install a debian on the new HD I can do it. The problem with this is that I see some tutorials out there that explain how to change an existing install to put debian on it, but no one says how the drive is supposed to be partitionned in the beginning.

So I just write this to tell you your post helps someone smile
I'll start from what you described and see where it gets me.

I have a doubt though: I remember checking the partitionning on my drive and I am quite sure I remember the 3 ext partitions being at the beginning of the drive and the NTFS one at the end. Maybe I don't remember well...

Just one more question: does the data partition HAS to be NTFS? Before my old HD died the network transfer was going really slow (steady 6Mb/s on an otherwise perfectly working Gb ethernet network) and I was thinking maybe it's because it's NTFS (it wasn't the drive since it was transferring at normal rates when I put it in my PC before it died).

Thanks.

Board footer