DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-11-19 22:37:49

Gyngy

Samsung HD204UI (2 TB) SMART capability and behaviour in DNS-320

Hello all,
I have one WD (2TB green) and one Samsung (2TB HD204UI) HDD in my DNS-320.

I would like to control my fan by using temperatures of system and both HDDs.
The problem is that I am using this command to obtain temperature:

smartctl -d marvell -A /dev/sda

In case of WD, everything is ok, I get data and disc will stay in same state as it was before - active or standby.
In case of Samsung, HDD will go from standby to active after each try of reading SMART status.
I am running fun_plug from USB so I am interested in disc sleeping.

Do you know proper command (smartctl) for Samsung to obtain attributes WITHOUT waking disc ?

Best regards!
Gyngy

#2 2011-11-20 12:51:31

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

Re: Samsung HD204UI (2 TB) SMART capability and behaviour in DNS-320

You can't. I had the same problem a while ago, when getting fancontrol working on a Lacie 2Big2. It turns out that some disks just wakeup when you read their temperature.
A work-around is to use 'hddtemp -n', which won't query the disk when it's asleep, or use hdparm first to find out if the disk is awake. A problem with this approach is that the disks will reset their 'idle-count', each time when you query for the temperature. So if your box is dependant on the disks own auto-sleep, the disks will never sleep.

I solved this by doing the sleep implementation myself, and use hdparm to bring the disk asleep when it's been idling long enough. You can find my script here, together with a kernel module for the 2Big2, which is of no use for you. The script is intended to be called by cron regularly.

Board footer