DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2013-09-14 17:47:46

kopasznyaku

full upnp media (DLNA) server CPU utilization-even without DLNA client

Hi Mates!

I'm running a DNS-320, with firmware version 1.0, and a (n old) funplug from 2008.

Have been using it as a bittorrent client, storage and media server for two years now, verry pleased with it. Tweaked it a bit so it can do all this work even simultaneously. Of course then everything takes more time ...

Until now I used my TV's embedded media player to connect with the DNS320, which was able to play regular low-res (SD if you prefer) avi. No problems.
But nowdays I thought it would be nice to have a small media player that is able to decode HD MKV files, too.

So I invested into a Raspberry Pi for this purpose (which I can recommend with good heart).
This now runs a small media player distro called openelec.

The whole system works fine, except one issue.

Problem is the following:

At the very moment I connect the player to the media server of the DNS320 (start to browse it's contents via DLNA), the upnp media server starts to eat the CPU (constant 100% if no other contestants).
This part of the game is quite allright , let's say the DLNA server is just doing its job.

What I don't find normal is, that even when I quit browsing/watching my media, or even if I switch off/power off the media player (the Raspberry), the media server daemon on the DNS320 remains at 100% CPU. And from this point on, it won't let go off of this precious resource.
As there are no clients to be served/no clients connected at all, I wonder why does  this constant, high activity remain.

This is taken from my 'top':

100% /usr/sbin/upnp 0 D-Link Corporation http://www.dlink.com/ D-Link Network Storage Enclosure DNS-320 103

Of course I can terrorize (kill) the DLNA server, or I can make a reboot to make it calm down, but this should not be working like that IMHO.

I wonder if someone else have experienced a similar problem. Or, (even better) has a solution?

As I have seen some recipes circulating around here, I was thinking maybe to install mini-dlna to see if that performs better.
But then I would need a howto on removing/deactivating this default media-server, I guess (??)
Does anyone experience with mini-dlna? Can you recommend it? Is it hard to install? Does it have lots of prerequisites, dependences?

Regards,
David

#2 2013-09-15 20:01:03

baltzatu

Re: full upnp media (DLNA) server CPU utilization-even without DLNA client

I have and use Debian Squeeze (installation instructions - inside the archive) + minidlna (wget http://dev.shyd.de/dockstar/minidlna-1.0.25-1-arm.deb && dpkg -i minidlna-1.0.25-1-arm.deb && apt-get -f install) for almost two years, because it can display subtitles on my LG TV. It works fine and the memory/CPU consumption is minimal. Here's the resources used while playing a 1080p MKV movie:

Code:

PID  USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND

2383 root      15   0 42260 5672 3012 S  0.0  4.5   0:07.61 minidlna

If you have a different TV, you can also try Debian Squeeze + mediatomb (apt-get install mediatomb).

As a torrent client, I recommend Deluge. More - here.

How to tame the fan - here.

How to fix the share(s) disappearance - here.

P.S.: If you don't know Linux, stick with 1.0.25 (don't try miniDLNA 1.0.26 or 1.1). I managed to make 1.1 to work on my DNS-320, but it's not that simple.

Last edited by baltzatu (2013-09-15 20:06:28)

Moo... or something...

Board footer