DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-02-11 11:55:33

tobyg

2GB+ File size transfers fixed. Download inside!

Ok, I found the problem with the 2GB thing.  Let me warn you that I'm more of just a 'hacker' than a programmer.  I spent most of the past few days with all of my freetime looking into fixing this samba large file bug.  I was not going to let it beat me!

First of all, my issues with 4GB mentioned previously in another thread were not related to the problem.  They were related to the config.h being generated from my i686 machine during crosscompiling being way wrong.  I fixed all of that.

Ok, so here is what I found.  I ran some more tests.  Remember, 0-2GB worked fine, 2-4GB didn't.  But then 4-6GB worked fine.  Odd, but it makes sense in a way...

Second, the problem is in the byteorder.h file.
I found this out by doing lots of debugging and finding weird things like this:
Here were my tests:

0-2 yes
2-4 no
4-6 yes
6-8 no
8-10 yes
10-12 no
12-14 yes
14-16 ? (should be no, did not test)
16-18 ? (should be yes, did not test)
18-20 ? (should be no, did not test)
20-22 ? (should be yes, did not test)

A signed 8 bit integer can contain a value between -32768 and 32767
An unsigned 8 bit integer can contain a value between 0 and 65535.
A signed 16 bit integer (long) can contain a value between -2147483648 and 2147483647
an unsigned 16 bit integer (long) can contain a vlue between 0 and 4294967295

So to me it looks like 0-2 works, but 2-4 doesn't... that means its probably a signing problem.  It's expecting unsigned but somewhere it's getting a signed value and it ends up thinking anything over 2GB is actually flipped to negative.

[2007/02/10 16:27:51, 10] smbd/vfs.c:vfs_allocate_file_space(364)
  vfs_allocate_file_space: file en_msdn_library_jan_2006_dvd.iso, len 18446744072432386000
[2007/02/10 16:27:51, 0] smbd/vfs.c:vfs_allocate_file_space(367)
  vfs_allocate_file_space: en_msdn_library_jan_2006_dvd.iso negative len requested.

Go into a calculator and type 18446744072432386000 in and then convert to hex, you get
0xFFFFFFFFb3DFFFD0
Ok, the B3DFFFD0 part was close, but the other F's should be zero's.  The real size of my file is 3,017,111,552, or B3D57800
Did some googling and I was right, it does like a signing issue.
I traced it all back to this statement in smbd/nttrans.c

allocation_size |= (((SMB_BIG_UINT)IVAL(inbuf,smb_ntcreate_AllocationSize + 4)) << 32);

Traced it all back to IVAL, which calls SVAL, which calls PVAL, which finally calls CVAL.
Anyway, did some googling and it looks like CVAL was changed at some point.  It wasn't in the latest 2.x code, so it must have been changed in the 3.x code somewhere.

So go into byteorder.h and change this line:
#define CVAL(buf,pos) (((const unsigned char *)(buf))[pos])

To this line:
#define CVAL(buf,pos) ((unsigned)(((const unsigned char *)(buf))[pos]))

This fixes the problem.  Don't ask me to explain exactly what the code above does.  Like I said, I'm more of a 'hacker' in the fact that I will dig and dig and try different things, instead of a programmer.  A real programmer could have probably found and fixed this problem in minutes.

I've backported this fix and recompiled the 2.2.8a code that comes with the DNS-323.

The good news is, you only need one file, smbd. 

How to implement it though, is a different story.  Basically what you need to do is create a directory on your hard drive somewhere and put the script and the smbd file in that directory.  From that directory, run the script (you may have to chmod +x samba228.sh first).

You can't just replace smbd because smbd is set to run from /usr/sbin/samba and /usr/sbin/samba is a symlink to /sys/crfs/samba.  /sys/crfs/samba is a read only file system and contains all of the samba files.
So what the script does is it symlinks everything that is in /sys/crfs/samba to the location you stored this on your HD, except for smbd of course.  It then changes the symlink /usr/sbin/samba to point to this location.  So that way when it goes to look for any samba file via the /usr/sbin/samba symlink, it will find them (it's a train of follow-the-symlink).

I've tested this by copying a 3gb and 11gb file.  I compared sha-1 values of both files compared to the originals and they check out just fine.

Don't blame me if you 'brick' your box.  Although a reboot should get you back to where you were, I guarantee nothing!

I don't suggest putting this in your 'fun_plug' until you verified it works and understand what the script is doing.

Note: there are lots of 'issues' I can see possibly with this 2.2.8a code included with the DNS-323.  Go download the GPL'ed source code and do a search for "//+Bing" in the .c files.  You will see lots of comments about trying to fix things, including tying to fix problems with large file copies.
Here is just the ones that Bing wrote with the word 'large' in it.  And mind you, this was back in 2003 and the issue of course was still not fixed!
macpro-debian-parallels:/home/toby/DNS323/samba-src/source# grep -r Bing * | grep -i large
smbd/open.c:#if 1       //+Bing change for can not copy large file 2003/12/23 10:26¤W¤È
smbd/vfs.c:#if 1        //+Bing change for can not copy large file 2003/12/23 10:26¤W¤È
smbd/vfs.c:#endif       //+Bing change for can not copy large file 2003/12/23 10:26¤W¤È
smbd/vfs.c:#if 1        //+Bing change for can not copy large file 2003/12/23 10:26¤W¤È
smbd/vfs.c:#endif       //+Bing change for can not copy large file 2003/12/23 10:26¤W¤È
If you do a full search on Bing you will find many, many other changes.

And another note... Mr. Bing at D-Link.  PLEASE fix this.  It's a simple one line fix (of course, it's simple, but it took me like 5 days to find it!) that will fix our large file copying problems!  For now, this fix will have to do.

Oh and this was all tested running the 1.02 firmware.  1.02b should be fine too, until they decide to recompile/change Samba in the firmware.

Let me know any of you have any issues.  I can provide a fully recompiled 'clean' (no odd/unknown "Bing" changes) if you want, with a similar script to 'replace' samba.

#2 2007-02-12 08:43:48

Apskaft

Re: 2GB+ File size transfers fixed. Download inside!

Impressive work!! Well done!!

http://images.xbox-scene.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif

I've included your findings in the wiki. It would be nice if you could share your knowledge about cross-compiling samba for the DNS on the wiki, e.g. a :howto:crosscompile_samba: would be great.

/Apan

#3 2007-02-12 08:45:49

tobyg

I would love to!  But I'm a wiki-idiot.  Seriously, I just haven't had time to even learn how to do anything on a wiki.  I plan on sharing knowledge as soon as I can figure out how to edit a wiki properly and organize my thoughts/data.

Have you tested the update that I posted?  Any issues?  Does it work for you?

#4 2007-02-12 09:20:41

Apskaft

tobyg wrote:

I would love to!  But I'm a wiki-idiot.  Seriously, I just haven't had time to even learn how to do anything on a wiki.  I plan on sharing knowledge as soon as I can figure out how to edit a wiki properly and organize my thoughts/data.

Have you tested the update that I posted?  Any issues?  Does it work for you?

Editing a wiki is very, very simple. It's made to be simple so than anyone can do it. If you want to share this information, jump to the wiki and in the "Seach" input, enter: howto:crosscompile_samba an press "Go".

You will now end up in a page stating "This topic does not exist yet". Click on "Create this page" and start writing your text into the textbox. As said before, very simple. And just share whatever you have. Don't mind formatting and organization, this can be done later by the one wanting it.

I've NOT tested your provided files as this issue havn't bothered me (yet). But; if you want some confirmation I'll gladly throw it at my unit later today and report back.

Once again, I'm impressed by your digging in the depths of Samba. I guess google is a friend of yours. And; as I'm having problems getting Firefly to run in standalone mode I'm very interrested in what you did crosscompiling this.

/Apan

#5 2007-02-12 09:38:06

tobyg

I plan on working on firefly someday...

My next goal is to get a new busybox.  I want to fully replace the busybox and relink everything to a newer version.  However, DLINK added 2 applets into busybox.  One is easy, goweb.  The other is 'autoip'.  Now it's easy to add these into the new busybox, but the 'autoip' applet uses a function called "my_arping_main".  I have no idea what this guy was thinking, but I'm trying to recreate this under the latest busybox.

But anyway, if I have some time tomorrow I'll try to work on wiki stuff.  But personally I planned on installing my own wiki at home to 'test' with and then move that data over to this public wiki.

So not to get off topic, but I need to hear if someone else can try this fix and verify it has fixed the problem for them.  I know it has for me, I just need to make sure it's fixed on other boxes.  I only have one box (right now) but plan on getting at least 1 or maybe even 2 more.

#6 2007-02-12 10:04:44

Apskaft

tobyg wrote:

But anyway, if I have some time tomorrow I'll try to work on wiki stuff.  But personally I planned on installing my own wiki at home to 'test' with and then move that data over to this public wiki.

Ok, it's slightly O/T but there's also the "playground" where you can test your stuff, unless you really want your own Wiki. ;-)

http://dns323.kood.org/playground:playground

/Apan

#7 2007-02-12 14:32:28

peachfuzz163

This is way cool.  Hopefully DLINK will wake up and smell the gigabytes and use a Samba 3.x implementation in a future firmware version.  Linksys has been using Samba 3.x for a long time on the NSLU2 firmware.  My original post about 2GB+ files implicated the Samba version.  Thank you for proving me right.

#8 2007-03-03 18:25:26

catohagen

trying to run this smbd ( the new smbd and samba228. is copied to /mnt/HD_a2/smbfix) :

# cd /mnt/HD_a2/smbfix/
# ls
samba228.sh  smbd
# samba228.sh
/opt/bin/ash: samba228.sh: not found
# ls
samba228.sh  smbd
# /mnt/HD_a2/smbfix/samba228.sh
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/HD_a2/smbfix/liblib_p.so.0.0.0': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/HD_a2/smbfix/libparam_p.so.0.0.0': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/HD_a2/smbfix/libpassdb_p.so.0.0.0': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/HD_a2/smbfix/libubiqx_p.so.0.0.0': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/HD_a2/smbfix/libsmb_p.so.0.0.0': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/HD_a2/smbfix/nmbd': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/HD_a2/smbfix/smbclient': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/HD_a2/smbfix/smbpasswd': No such file or directory
$Shutting down SMB services:
$Shutting down NMB services:
$Starting SMB services:
$Starting NMB services:
# smb stop                                ; here i stop again it because i want to run it with my won config
$Shutting down SMB services:
$Shutting down NMB services:
# smbd -D -s /mnt/HD_a2/smb.conf
# nmbd -D -s /mnt/HD_a2/smb.conf

it runs and works, but due to the errors above, it it running the 2gb+ bugfixed sambd ?

thanx for your work smile

#9 2007-03-05 04:55:09

tobyg

It should be.  Sorry, the script should be smarter and check if those files exist first and then remove them.  Right now it just deletes them in order to re-link them every time it runs.

Try copying a 2-4GB size file and see if it works.

Remember you need to run it every time you restart your box.

#10 2007-03-11 03:55:21

phoenix

Hello Toby,

I think the shellscript  is not enough to replace the original bugged dlink-smbd and here's why:

snippet from samba228.sh:

Code:

> rm /usr/bin/smbd 

removes old symlink

> ln -s $PWD/smbd /usr/bin/smbd

places a new symlink at the same place

First problem:

$PWD is not defined and therefore empty, so the script may not always do what it's supposed to do. When called from fun_plug with the recommended file structure it still works as it should. But...

(Second: )

The symlinked smbd from /usr/bin/smbd is never used, not in the original version and not after the scripted re-linking via samba228.sh. (Can be verified by simply renaming "/usr/bin/smbd" to anything else and then trying "smb start": the samba server will start anyway)

Snippet from smb (called by samba228.sh as "smb restart", smb is the shellscript wrapper for starting/stopping smbd and nmbd)

Code:

start() {
        KIND="SMB"
    echo -n $"Starting $KIND services: "
#    daemon smbd $SMBDOPTIONS
#    cd /mnt/tmp/samba-2.2.8a.mips/source/bin
    /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D                               <---------- Problem lies here
#    RETVAL=$?

As you can see, smb calls     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd     which remains untouched by the update procedure (we updated /usr/bin/smbd). It's also a read-only portion of the filesystem, so we can't simply re-link it, but need to fix and replace the smb script as well.

smb.fixed is exactly like the original smb, BUT with the problematic line changed to

/usr/bin/smbd -D

In that location lies the symlink to your updated smbd, which should start then.

My proposed samba228fix.sh:

Code:

#!/bin/sh

#stop samba prior to changing anything
smb stop

#make a backup of the old symlinks
mv /usr/bin/smbd /usr/bin/smbd.old
mv /usr/bin/smb /usr/bin/smb.old

#make new symlinks
#usage: ln -s /PATH/FILENAME /PATH/SYMLINKNAME

ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/smbd.fixed /usr/bin/smbd
ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/smb.fixed /usr/bin/smb

#start samba
smb start

Disclaimer: This is still work in progress, so don't put it in fun_plug until some people with telnet access to their 323's tested it and can verify it corrects the "large file problem". I'm trying it tomorrow, as it takes a while to copy and md5sum some backup files with several dozen GBs.

Can anyone positively identify an exact filesize that causes problems, as "2-4 GB" is not exact enough and I had successes with some zip archives that size even with the original samba version, but two ~40GB backup archives went totally wrong.

In the attached archive there are three files:
samba228fix.sh (my proposed version)
smb.fixed (the fixed shellscript)
smbd.fixed (the file from tobyg, BUT with the version string manually set to 2.2.8b to be able to differentiate between the broken dlink and the fixed versions)

Last edited by phoenix (2007-03-11 04:35:24)

#11 2007-03-17 03:13:41

bobm5

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if the above fix is working?
I'm considering buying a 323, but this issue is the only thing that has kept me from getting it so far.
I've read conflicting posts on several boards about this. Some say that this doesn't occur if using XP, others say something else.

I am currently using XP on all the systems that will be connected to this.
Will I have a problem? I do have files of varying sizes from 1-10GB i'll need to copy to it, preferably through standard windows file sharing.

Thanks
Bob

#12 2007-03-17 03:42:53

tobyg

phoenix wrote:

Hello Toby,

I think the shellscript  is not enough to replace the original bugged dlink-smbd and here's why:

snippet from samba228.sh:

Code:

> rm /usr/bin/smbd 

removes old symlink

> ln -s $PWD/smbd /usr/bin/smbd

places a new symlink at the same place

First problem:

$PWD is not defined and therefore empty, so the script may not always do what it's supposed to do. When called from fun_plug with the recommended file structure it still works as it should. But...

Isn't $PWD always defined?  "print working directory"?  It works for me.  The reason I used $PWD is so you can put it in any directory you want.  If you run the script from that directory (you have to be in that directory to run the script) then $PWD will be defined.  It's easier than telling people to modify the script with their proper path.  Instead just run the script from the directory you extrated the script and smbd to, and it will run.  $PWD = the directory you're running the script from.

phoenix wrote:

(Second: )

The symlinked smbd from /usr/bin/smbd is never used, not in the original version and not after the scripted re-linking via samba228.sh. (Can be verified by simply renaming "/usr/bin/smbd" to anything else and then trying "smb start": the samba server will start anyway)

Snippet from smb (called by samba228.sh as "smb restart", smb is the shellscript wrapper for starting/stopping smbd and nmbd)

Code:

start() {
        KIND="SMB"
    echo -n $"Starting $KIND services: "
#    daemon smbd $SMBDOPTIONS
#    cd /mnt/tmp/samba-2.2.8a.mips/source/bin
    /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D                               <---------- Problem lies here
#    RETVAL=$?

As you can see, smb calls     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd     which remains untouched by the update procedure (we updated /usr/bin/smbd). It's also a read-only portion of the filesystem, so we can't simply re-link it, but need to fix and replace the smb script as well.

smb.fixed is exactly like the original smb, BUT with the problematic line changed to

/usr/bin/smbd -D

In that location lies the symlink to your updated smbd, which should start then.

My proposed samba228fix.sh:

Code:

#!/bin/sh

#stop samba prior to changing anything
smb stop

#make a backup of the old symlinks
mv /usr/bin/smbd /usr/bin/smbd.old
mv /usr/bin/smb /usr/bin/smb.old

#make new symlinks
#usage: ln -s /PATH/FILENAME /PATH/SYMLINKNAME

ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/smbd.fixed /usr/bin/smbd
ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/smb.fixed /usr/bin/smb

#start samba
smb start

Disclaimer: This is still work in progress, so don't put it in fun_plug until some people with telnet access to their 323's tested it and can verify it corrects the "large file problem". I'm trying it tomorrow, as it takes a while to copy and md5sum some backup files with several dozen GBs.

Can anyone positively identify an exact filesize that causes problems, as "2-4 GB" is not exact enough and I had successes with some zip archives that size even with the original samba version, but two ~40GB backup archives went totally wrong.

In the attached archive there are three files:
samba228fix.sh (my proposed version)
smb.fixed (the fixed shellscript)
smbd.fixed (the file from tobyg, BUT with the version string manually set to 2.2.8b to be able to differentiate between the broken dlink and the fixed versions)

This is useless.  Did you see this part of the script?

rm /usr/sbin/samba ; ln -s $PWD /usr/sbin/samba

That re-links the entire samba228 directory to /usr/sbin/samba which will make /usr/sbin/samba/smbd actually run smbd from your new modified samba path.

Yes, I agree that /usr/bin/smbd never gets called.  But the point is, that link is in the original firmware.  I replaced all instances of smbd (replacing /usr/bin/smbd directly even if it doesn't get called and also /usr/sbin/samba which effectively replaces /usr/sbin/samba/smbd) incase somehow they were called.  Figured it would be best to replace everything than leave leftover bad links.

As far as confirming what files, it also depends on your OS.  XP SP2 and Windows 2003 Server SP1 always had the problems with the file sizes I noted.  And I'm talking specifically about GB.  So a 2GB file of course is 2147483648 bytes.  If you tried a file that was 2000000000 bytes, that's 1.86GB and of course would copy fine without the patched smbd.

bobm5:

I can only confirm it works for me fine on 2 DNS-323 boxes.  I haven't heard anyone else confirm anything, but it fixed my problem.

Last edited by tobyg (2007-03-17 03:51:49)

#13 2007-03-20 05:08:08

stevodotorg

bobm5 wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if the above fix is working?
I'm considering buying a 323, but this issue is the only thing that has kept me from getting it so far.
I've read conflicting posts on several boards about this. Some say that this doesn't occur if using XP, others say something else.

I am currently using XP on all the systems that will be connected to this.
Will I have a problem? I do have files of varying sizes from 1-10GB i'll need to copy to it, preferably through standard windows file sharing.

Thanks
Bob

I am in the same boat as Bob here, I have not yet purchased the 323 due to this problem, I am currently running Vista Ultimate 64-Bit, If anyone can confirm the above fix that would be fantastic, thanks! smile

#14 2007-04-02 06:02:43

stevodotorg

I can now confirm that this fix DOES INDEED WORK with Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit and FIXES problems with 2gb+ file transfers..

running on my fun_plug and works like a champ smile

Last edited by stevodotorg (2007-04-02 14:02:09)

#15 2007-04-03 06:19:08

stevodotorg

someone please sticky this!

#16 2007-04-13 08:46:59

tobyg

Ok, sources for the 1.03 firmware were posted and I can confirm that this fix was implemented in the samba release in 1.03

//#define CVAL(buf,pos) (((const unsigned char *)(buf))[pos])

That is what is now in the byteorder.h

and just a FYI, // remarks out the line.  They just left the old line in the file for reference.

So, this fix is should not be necessary any longer after upgrading to 1.03 (I have yet to upgrade my own boxes)

I still stand firm in my belief that if I had not found this and had this forum not existed, this fix would not have been implemented.  If you look at the samba code they are using, they've been trying for years to fix large file issues. 

Great job everyone!

Last edited by tobyg (2007-04-13 08:47:22)

#17 2007-04-13 09:42:09

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

Nice work. Good to see that you guys did get latest sources from D-Link big_smile

stevodotorg wrote:

someone please sticky this!

For most informative and important information we have wiki where we can also put links which can point important topics at this forum.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

#18 2007-04-16 05:19:31

stevodotorg

tobyg wrote:

Ok, sources for the 1.03 firmware were posted and I can confirm that this fix was implemented in the samba release in 1.03

//#define CVAL(buf,pos) (((const unsigned char *)(buf))[pos])

That is what is now in the byteorder.h

and just a FYI, // remarks out the line.  They just left the old line in the file for reference.

So, this fix is should not be necessary any longer after upgrading to 1.03 (I have yet to upgrade my own boxes)

I still stand firm in my belief that if I had not found this and had this forum not existed, this fix would not have been implemented.  If you look at the samba code they are using, they've been trying for years to fix large file issues. 

Great job everyone!

thanks tobyg!

#19 2009-02-08 23:02:48

alpha

Hi to all,

I don't know if there is discussed in other topics, but how about 2 GB problem in firmware 1.06 ? I know that there is no problem of storing large files now, but issue still exists. For example, I can't download bigger files than 2GB from torrents. If I download bigger files from my DN323 as FTP user then FTP server does not support file resuming. Did you have problems like these ? And other question: are solutions in this topic helpful for the problems I just mentioned ? Maybe there is some other solutions ?

Best regards,
alpha

#20 2009-02-09 03:44:01

fordem

Like it says in post #16 - the problem described in this thread was resolved in the 1.03 firmware release - what you are experiencing is unrelated.

#21 2009-02-09 08:10:35

alpha

Hello,

So maybe someone can test it ? You download file from FTP bigger that 2GB. When you have downloaded to your computer more than 2GB you can cancel download. Then try to redownload and set "Resume" in this time you must get error that server does not support resuming. Could anyone try this ?

Regards,
alpha

#22 2009-02-09 14:38:07

fordem

I think you're missing the point - even if the ftp server does not support resuming - it's not related to the problem or the solution detailed in this thread.

#23 2009-02-09 14:42:26

alpha

Hi,

I got the poit what topic is about smile I just wanted to say that resuming support is gone when file >2GB and the same is with torrents. They don't go to download queue if larger than 2GB. So I just wanted to say that this behaviour is also somehow related to large files and I wanted to ask if someone else has this issue and meybe there is a cure for this.

Regards,
alpha

#24 2009-02-09 18:19:59

fordem

You have a different issue, it's not related to this problem, this problem has been resolved - you will probably get further starting a new thread, and even pointing it out to D-Link themselves at forums.dlink.com

#25 2009-02-10 08:06:23

alpha

Hello,

I don't think dlink will help smile Try to create new thread here first.

Regards,

alpha

Board footer