DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2008-05-29 01:35:30

bq041

Re: Newbie and need lotsa help ...

I was trying not to scare him that badly.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#27 2008-10-06 18:10:46

Indra

Well, despite so much warning about vulnerability of FTP connection, I am still willing to try as a basic step to open the gate for my DNS-323.

Even with that simple thing, I haven't successfully set it up sad

My configuration is as follows:
* ADSL connection provided by my apartment management office
* Wireless Router LinkSys WRT54GS
* DLink DNS-323 + Seagate Barracude 7200.11 650GB connected to the LinkSys
* Computer running Win XP Pro

I have done the followings:
* Setting & turning on the FTP server in DNS-323 Web UI using port 28 (just in case my ISP is blocking port 21); Including making a dummy user named "coba" and a temporary folder named "ftp" in the root to be accessed by the FTP
* I have set up the gateway of DNS-323 (via LAN menu) to 192.168.2.1 (my router IP address)
* I have set up the port forwarding (range 21 - 30) to 192.168.2.105 (the DNS-323 static IP)
* I have set up the DMZ to IP 192.168.2.105

I try the FTP connection while my computer is connected to the LAN (i.e. the FTP server address is 192.168.2.105) and it works as expected.
Then I try to go to http://www.ip-adress.com/ipaddresstolocation/ to know my router WAN address.
When I cut down my computer from the LAN and use a dial-up (GPRS) then try to connect to the FTP via the router WAN address, my FTP software (Filezilla) says "Unable to connect"

What's wrong?
How can I make it work? At least using the normal FTP?
I also have suspected that the WAN IP is not solely belong to me, sometimes, when I try to download from Rapidshare, it said something like this: "Your IP is currently downloading from us, please wait until it finish"

Please help

#28 2008-10-06 18:29:27

Indra

I forget one thing i.e. I have successfully upgraded to FW 1.05 and activated the bittorrent; I consider that my DNS-323 is not totally isolated from the net.

#29 2008-10-07 01:31:25

bq041

You did a great job explaining things right up to the point of how you try connecting via ftp.  Are you indeed asking your computer to look at port 28?  Do you know if your isp blocks all ftp connections regardless of port (my job does that).  Next, did you set the user name and password in filezilla?  Lastly, is filezilla set for passive mode or active mode?

Next, why did you seet up port fowarding and then put the DNS in the DMZ?  The DMZ does not require port forwarding because is is essentially "live" on the internet.  Next, the point of port forwarding is to set it up to forward, for example, port 28 from the WAN to port 21 on the LAN.  In this case you could leave the DNS on port 21 and you would select port 28 when connecting from the internet.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#30 2008-10-07 07:30:23

Indra

bq041 wrote:

You did a great job explaining things right up to the point of how you try connecting via ftp.

Thanks for the compliment smile
Also thanks for answering.
I have read several postings in this forum before eventually post my own message; I have seen that there are many experts, who are willing to help, but the ones, who are asking for help, are keeping the information of their network configuration as if it is their country secret.
Hence, to make easy for everybody, I try my best to describe completely about my configuration wink

bq041 wrote:

Are you indeed asking your computer to look at port 28?

Yes, I am.

bq041 wrote:

Do you know if your isp blocks all ftp connections regardless of port (my job does that).

No, I have no idea.
Can I know if they close all ftp connection regardless of port? How to check it?

bq041 wrote:

Next, did you set the user name and password in filezilla?

Yes, completely.

bq041 wrote:

Lastly, is filezilla set for passive mode or active mode?

I have tried both active and passive to no success.

bq041 wrote:

Next, why did you seet up port fowarding and then put the DNS in the DMZ?  The DMZ does not require port forwarding because is is essentially "live" on the internet.

Because I really have limited knowledge about router setting.
So far, I only use FTP to connect to my web hosting and upload/download/erase files in my web sites.

bq041 wrote:

Next, the point of port forwarding is to set it up to forward, for example, port 28 from the WAN to port 21 on the LAN.  In this case you could leave the DNS on port 21 and you would select port 28 when connecting from the internet.

Yes, I understand now after getting your explanation.
So, what is your suggestion? What should I do to make it running?

I don't worry so much about someone stealing my user name and password (at least for the time being) because I set the FTP to certain folder, whose content I don't mind if someone get it, and the FTP is set to read only; I hope that it is secure enough.
The important thing for me now is to setup the FTP and make it functional.

#31 2008-10-07 09:29:54

Indra

I have just checked with the apartment management office, it seems that we share the same WAN IP among the tenant.
Is it the cause this FTP failure?

To ensure everything, I have tried to activate DMZ again and try to connect to the WAN IP of my router using active FTP, but the result is the same sad unable to connect.
Then I switch to passive, but it remains the same.

My apartment officer suggest I call the ISP directly and declare that I am the tenant, however due to language limitation, I think that I must clearly mention about what I want otherwise there will be chicken and duck conversation.
What should I ask them?

#32 2008-10-07 09:54:51

Indra

I try it again as follows:
* Turn DMZ to my DNS-323
* Turn off any firewall of the router

And I try to connect to WAN IP of my router again using Filezilla via GPRS connection.
I try both active and passive, but it still doesn't work.

#33 2008-10-07 15:03:27

fordem

Indra wrote:

I have just checked with the apartment management office, it seems that we share the same WAN IP among the tenant.
Is it the cause this FTP failure?

I believe that is your problem - to share the single WAN ip address will require some form of network address translation which will in turn require port forwarding so that the incoming connection request is sent to your private ip.

#34 2008-10-07 16:10:10

Indra

Do you mean that a home subscriber of ADSL usually has the WAN IP all for himself (I understand that the IP will be changed whenever he restarts the modem)?

In my case, what is your suggestion? What should I ask from the provider?

#35 2008-10-07 17:29:40

Indra

Please also give suggestion about what to ask if I also want to turn on the web server, as well as SSH.

#36 2008-10-07 21:01:53

fordem

Indra wrote:

Do you mean that a home subscriber of ADSL usually has the WAN IP all for himself (I understand that the IP will be changed whenever he restarts the modem)?

In my case, what is your suggestion? What should I ask from the provider?

I'm inclined to say in most parts of the world, each subscriber gets a public ip address (and if he's willing to pay extra, he can have more) - I know this to be true in the USA and in the Caribbean.

You need to find out who controls the NAT device (either a router or a level 3 switch) in your apartment block - that organisation will be the one who can configure the device to forward the necessary ports to you, you'll need 21 for ftp, 80 for http - I'm not certain what you need for SSH.

Good luck.

#37 2008-10-08 04:24:05

Indra

Hi fordem,

Thanks a lot for the enlightenment.
I'll talk to the administrator (man, how I hate to urge people to do something with their network)

OK, confirm that port 21 & 80 will have to be opened.
I'll try to find information about SSH port so that I just need to talk once to the administrator.

#38 2008-10-08 05:46:55

fordem

Secure shell (ssh) appears to be 22

Board footer