DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-06-04 17:51:33

twokatmew

NTP Pulls in Wrong Time!

Hello, I've had my DNS-323 for almost a week now, and I think it's great.  I upgraded the firmware to 1.03 and have two WD 500GB set up in RAID1.  I've noticed, however, that not only does the clock on this thing drift quite a bit, the NTP client pulls in the wrong time no matter what NTP server I use.  I'm in ET (-5:00), and I'm using an NTP server in my state.  However, I have to set the box to Atlantic Time and USA DST to get the time to display correctly.  And of course, this doesn't fix the clock drift prob.  Anyone else notice this NTP prob?  Note that my PCs pull the correct time from the same NTP server with a correct time zone and DST setting, so it looks like the DNS-323 is not manipulating the received time correctly.

I've searched the knowledge base at D-Link and found nothing.  I did find a post from this forum re clock drift (http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t149-jobs.html), but I don't find anything about NTP probs.

Comments welcome.  :-)

Thanks and Regards,

Margaret

#2 2007-06-04 19:07:53

brdhse1

Re: NTP Pulls in Wrong Time!

I have the exact same problem.  I am also running 1.03 and I cannot get the 323 to set the correct time.  I am in CST, and no matter which ntp server I use, DST on or off etc. this will not set the correct time.

#3 2007-06-04 19:22:49

twokatmew

Thanks for confirming this.  I just sent an issue to D-Link tech support.  Will post back when I get an answer.

#4 2007-06-04 19:29:01

fordem

Like many other problems reported here - I'm not affected.

I have noted the clock drift, mine is about 2 minutes fast as I type this, but it's corrected, I believe once daily by the NTP server - I'm GMT-4 and have been using Microsoft's time server for quite a while now, and I don't think I've ever seen the time more than 10 minutes off.

#5 2007-06-04 20:33:09

DNS-323 Talker

The time function does appear to be "troubled."  Hadn't really looked at this closely before.

The set time from my computer option doesn't seem to work properly...first, the DNS-323 was promptly 4 seconds slow right after I set time from my computer...I'll check again later, but right after setting the time I compared the DNS-323 time reported in the Time sceen and it showed 4 seconds slower than my PC.

Second, after using the set time from my computer option, I created a file and the file was 1 hour older (e.g., say it's 1:00 PM, the file is dated 2:00 PM.  I noticed that the daylight savings time setting wasn't right, and set that to USA and clicked set time again, and the time on a file I created at that point was 3:00 PM, two hours later than reality.

When I set time from my computer w/out daylight savings selected, the time displayed on the Time screen is = the current time, though files created are time stamped one hour later.  When I select USA daylight savings time and click set time again, the displayed time advances another hour on the Time screen, now showing 1 hour later than actual, and files created are then stamped two hours later than actual.  So I'd say the set time from computer does not seem to work properly, at least for me.

I then set time using an NTP server w/the USA daylight time setting selected and it set the time properly on new files created on the DNS-323, albeit 5s slower than the time on my PC (which is sync'd to the Windows time server). 

Strangely, the time displayed in the Time screen when using the NTP server and daylight savings time selected is one hour earlier than actual, I guess because we're now one hour ahead since it's Spring, so it's showing the "real" time not the Daylight savings adjusted time (which it does use to time-stamp files)...that's confusing, I'd like the time displayed on the time screen to either show the daylight savings adjusted time (when I've selected that option), or show both. 

Dlink does seem to need to do some work in this area, unless I'm not understanding how this is supposed to work...

DNS-323 w/two Seagate 500 GB RAID1
Fonz's Fun_Plug- Don't DNS-323 without it!

#6 2007-06-04 20:51:31

DNS-323 Talker

Could the DNS-323 timekeeping be disabled (or set manually initially, and then overrode) using something like this?

http://www.pool.ntp.org/use.html

#7 2007-06-04 22:14:50

twokatmew

I looked at that, it's just setting a pool of NTP servers instead of one.  Instead of choosing one of the D-Link servers from the drop-down, you can just enter either an IP address or a FQDN in the blank field next to the drop-down.

BTW, my DNS-323 picks up the correct time from my computer, but it only does that once according to the note to the right of the time settings.  By setting an incorrect time zone (and using the NTP sync), my DNS-323 gets the correct time (and uses that same time) to timestamp files.  So it seems mine is behaving differently than yours, DNS-323 Talker.

Very strange, eh?

Fordem, 10 minutes may not seem like much, but if you want to use the unit to sync files, 10 minutes is *waaaaaaay* too much.  Seems like this is something pretty fundamental that D-Link should have fixed a while ago.

Fingers crossed for a fix soon :-)

Last edited by twokatmew (2007-06-04 22:15:33)

#8 2007-06-04 22:29:40

DNS-323 Talker

twokatmew wrote:

I looked at that, it's just setting a pool of NTP servers instead of one.  Instead of choosing one of the D-Link servers from the drop-down, you can just enter either an IP address or a FQDN in the blank field next to the drop-down.

BTW, my DNS-323 picks up the correct time from my computer, but it only does that once according to the note to the right of the time settings.  By setting an incorrect time zone (and using the NTP sync), my DNS-323 gets the correct time (and uses that same time) to timestamp files.  So it seems mine is behaving differently than yours, DNS-323 Talker.

Very strange, eh?

Fordem, 10 minutes may not seem like much, but if you want to use the unit to sync files, 10 minutes is *waaaaaaay* too much.  Seems like this is something pretty fundamental that D-Link should have fixed a while ago.

Fingers crossed for a fix soon :-)

Thanks...

I didn't try "fooling" the DNS-323 using the wrong time zone, I'll give that a shot later. 

But you're saying that if you tell it to set time from your computer and then create a file that the file is time-stamped correctly?   That's odd...

#9 2007-06-04 22:31:06

fordem

@twokatmew - I know where you're coming from with that 10 minute thing, but I think there are two different issues being discussed in this thread, a time drift issue for which I believe there is a fix already posted, and a second one which you are now documenting - one where the time displayed/stamped is off by one or more hours - I'm thinking that this second one is related to the DST routines, since you guys use that and I don't (I'm 8 degrees above the equator).

#10 2007-06-05 00:02:53

twokatmew

...Talker, I haven't tried creating a file when I've sync'd the time to my computer ... yet. Since I finally managed to fool the DNS into showing the correct time by changing the time zone *and* setting DST, I didn't want to mess it up.  But ... I just went back to test it, and I see that when sync'd w/ my computer, the DNS displays time an hour behind.  Turning off DST does not change the time, it's an hour behind whether or not I have DST set.  I just created a txt file on the NAS w/ time set from computer (one hour behind), and the txt file is timestamped one hour behind.  I just "turned on" DST again, and this time it bumped the hour to the correct one, but the DNS clock has suddenly *lost*4 mins in around 1!  Aargh.

Now once again sync'ing w/ NTP server, I get the correct time by setting Atlantic time (-4:00)  and turning on DST, even though I'm EDT (-5:00).  I created yet another txt file on the NAS, and it's timestamped the correct time (what shows on the Time page).  But I had to change the time zone to get it to display the correct time.

Another experiment: I turned off DST and sync'd w/ NTP, time zone Brasilia (-3:00), time is one hour *ahead*.  Then synced to time zone Atlantic (-4:00), time is correct w/ and w/out DST.  So Fordem, I think you're right that something's wierd w/ the DST setting.  Final try, it seems that DST is just flakey:  Since I got correct time using -4:00 w/ and w/out DST using (-4:00), I thought I'd try it w/ the correct time zone (ET -5:00).  Nope, now the only way I can get the correct time is once again Atlantic time (-4:00) and setting DST on.  I'm wondering if DST is only getting set sometimes even though the web page says it's set?

Well enough for now....

#11 2007-06-05 00:18:30

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

My clock is one hour off, since beginning of CEST.  Kind of strange is that if I go to the web page "TOOLS" -> "TIME" and click "Set Time" in the NTP Server box, my clock is set correctly.
But after running "sntp -r ntp1.dlink.com", clock is one hour off (this command is run by the firmware startup scripts, I think). It seems DST support is in the web interface only, and missing  in libc and/or sntp.

PS: My /etc/TZ showed "GMT-01:00". Google told me to try

Code:

echo 'CET-1CEST-2,M3.5.0/02:00:00,M10.5.0/03:00:00' >/etc/TZ

and it seems to work. The above is for Germany and central Europe, I think. Didn't yet try putting this in a start/ script, so it'll set the correct timezone on every reboot, but I guess it'll solve the DST problem.

Last edited by fonz (2007-06-05 00:29:50)

#12 2007-06-05 07:54:55

DNS-323 Talker

Fonz...can you "translate" that to work for the US?

#13 2007-06-05 11:38:27

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

DNS-323 Talker wrote:

Fonz...can you "translate" that to work for the US?

No. But I have a few links that might help you doing it yourself:

This one explains the format/syntax of the TZ entry:  http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/buci-tz3.html
And here's the data to fill in: http://home.tiscali.nl/~t876506/TZworld.html

Here's even more timezone information:
http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/zoneinfo
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Last edited by fonz (2007-06-05 11:39:21)

#14 2007-06-05 16:03:40

kruzes

For the North America, you seem to have a choice between "AST4ADT", "EST5EDT", "CST6CDT", "MST7MDT", "PST8PDT" and "AKST9AKDT". If you dont have DST in your area, drop everything after the number. If you do, and to account for the recent DST changes, it seems adding ",M3.2.0,M11.1.0" is enough.

For Europe, these will be most common values:
WET0WEST,M3.5.0/01,M10.5.0/02
CET-1CEST,M3.5.0/02,M10.5.0/03
EET-2EEST,M3.5.0/03,M10.5.0/04

And for Austrailia, it seems:
EST-10EDT,M10.5.0/02,M3.5.0/03
CST-9:30CDT,M10.5.0/02,M3.5.0/03
WST-8

Last edited by kruzes (2007-06-12 04:16:43)

#15 2007-06-11 06:41:58

twokatmew

I guess to use the above, I have to install this funplug?  I've been using modded firmware on my routers for years, but I feel a little nervous about modding my DNS-323.....  Chicken, I know.  :-)

Anyway, I got a msg from D-Link support saying they're looking into this issue.  Hopefully they'll read this whole thread.  (I sent them the link in my initial prob rpt.)

Board footer