DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-12-29 03:52:29

KyleK

OT: Backup software for Windows

Hey guys,

this may be a little off-topic, sorry for that.
I'm looking for a backup software for Windows where I can very specifically select which directories I want to save (preferrably even single files).
I don't care about how it backs up (incremental, complete copies each time).
Backup are going to be scheduled, but I think that's a given in most software :)

Thanks in advance!

#2 2007-12-29 04:35:09

fordem

Re: OT: Backup software for Windows

Let's see - there's

NTBACKUP - free with Windows
BackupExec - from Veritas or Symantec or who ever owns it now
Tapeware - from Yosemite

and just about every other backup utility I have ever tried - I can't think of one that didn't allow me to select very specifically which directory or file I wanted to save or for that matter restore.

Are you by any chance confusing disk imaging utilities with backup utilities?  They are two very similar yet very different categories of software, however, there are utilities that fall into both categories - one example being Acronis TrueImage.

#3 2007-12-29 14:36:53

KyleK

Thanks for the recommendations.

No, I didn't confuse it with disk imaging software, what I want is to back up specific files at given time intervals.

To be honest, I only tried the backup solution that comes with Windows Vista, and it doesn't allow you to specifically select what shall be backed up.

I guess I used the one application that isn't very userfriendly :)

I'll check out the mentioned tools.

#4 2007-12-29 15:03:44

fordem

No kidding!  I had to go find a system running Vista, because I had to see that to believe it.  I've used the backup utility that Microsoft provided, primitive as it was, with most of their OS's and up to Windows XP Pro, it allowed you to select a disk or drill down to a folder and if you wanted a single file.

I'm not a Vista user, but we have two Vista (Business) laptops in the house, so I took a look at one and you're right, it forces you to do a full backup for the first backup and then you can select categories of files.

Now - I didn't actually try this, but, if you've already done that first full backup, take a look at the last category additional files, it may give you the option to select individual files.

#5 2007-12-29 15:18:02

knireis

i use syncback freeware, works without problems, i think also on vista

http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

#6 2007-12-29 18:17:00

KyleK

fordem wrote:

Now - I didn't actually try this, but, if you've already done that first full backup, take a look at the last category additional files, it may give you the option to select individual files.

I had tried that, but to not avail.
Vista saves the backups in archive form (ZIP or RAR, I'm not sure) so I decided to take a look what actually was saved.
The archive contained several folders from Appdata\Roaming, but not all, which was weird.
I checked the Mozilla sub directory (Firefox settings) and here also, only few files were included (and the important ones, bookmarks, history.dat, prefs.ini etc.) weren't even included.
This was the very first backup.

I'm not sure what to make of this, really.

Thanks knireis, I'll check that one out as well.

#7 2007-12-29 18:49:37

pdischle

Hi all,

Over the past week, I have been on a quest to backup my DNS-323 data onto DVD. I have currently 160GB of data on the 323 running in a RAID I configuration. My total is 500GB of space.

I also run Vista Home Premium which came with my laptop - I am curerntly running Vista RC1 SP1.

This quest has been an exercise in frustration, although I believe that my requirements were quite simple. The solution needed to:

1) Backup directly to DVD with split capabilities
2) Handle unformatted DVDs so there is no need for third-party formatting
3) Provide control over which NAS folders to be backed up
4) Initially do a full backup followed by incrementals
5) Non-proprietary storing of files
6) AES encryption if required

Although several software vendors offer a "complete" solution, many simply do not perform well over networks. At other times, handling DVD formatting etc. did not work and the software simply fault dumped.

I am still investigating but the front runners currently are:

Genie-Soft (genie-soft.com) - as it does DVD spanning and regular ZIP archiving ( no need to re-install app in order to recover)
backup4all (backup4all.com) - does DVD spanning, regular ZIP archiving BUT has some glitches with DVD formatting and thus aborts backup - I am currently checking with them to see if that is easily fixable.

As for your request KyleK, I have successfully used GoodSync (http://www.goodsync.com/howitworks.html) a file synchronization/backup utility which you can use to schedule granular backup by file. I use it to "backup" my local files automatically from our laptops to the NAS-323. I am also researching this option a bit more as it seems to have quite a solid backup strategy as well.

All software mentioned has 30 day trials, is between $60-100 per license. Goodsync is free but has a limit on the number of files that can be synched until you have to buy the full version.

I hope that this thread stays open as I see a good backup strategy for a NAS as important - I have used many corporate solutions before that worked well, but are outside the realm of possibility for many home users.

Cheers,

Peer

#8 2007-12-30 19:38:39

Nordlaender

In my opinion "normal" backup software (like backup exec or NTbackup) is not what you would want to use in a home environment. Why? the learning curve is to steep and furthermore the restore process is tedious. Instead i think Microsoft´s SyncToy is the best option here. It can perform backups in many different ways, easy to use and can be scheduled to run whenever you like. Furthermore it´s free and doesn't have any limitations regarding number of files or folders that has to be backup up.

check it out

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en

#9 2007-12-30 20:51:32

fordem

Whilst I tend to agree with you on the needs of a home environment - the price of backupexec also puts it out of reach of most home users - and will cheerfully admit to using SyncToy to do what are in effect backups, there is a distinct difference between sync and backup, and folks need to be aware of this.

If you schedule an automatic daily synchronisation and for what ever reason delete or edit a file (or the file becomes corrupted due to a virus) at the next sync, those changes are written to your "backup" - you have to be sufficiently alert to catch the problem whilst you still have the ability to recover.

I know someone is going to point out that this can also happen with backupexec or NTBackup - and in fact I have seen it happen with NTBackup when a large organisation, who really should have known better was in the habit of backing up their server to tape every night and only had one tape.  Backupexec on the other hand can be configured to prevent the same media from being overwritten for a specific number of days (the default is infinite - ie, it will not allow the media to be accidentally overwritten).

I prefer to use SyncToy as Microsoft intended - to maintain files in sync between my laptop and my desktop.

#10 2007-12-31 01:42:24

Wooly

I have been using Acronis True Image Home (both versions 10 & 11) on both a laptop running XP Home and a 64 bit Vista desktop. It is a very comprehensive backup program with lots of options. The version 11 I bought of eBay for around £11 and is the easiest one to use.

#11 2008-01-16 10:05:01

markchicobaby

pdischle wrote:

Hi all,

Over the past week, I have been on a quest to backup my DNS-323 data onto DVD. I have currently 160GB of data on the 323 running in a RAID I configuration. My total is 500GB of space.

I also run Vista Home Premium which came with my laptop - I am curerntly running Vista RC1 SP1.

This quest has been an exercise in frustration, although I believe that my requirements were quite simple. The solution needed to:

1) Backup directly to DVD with split capabilities
2) Handle unformatted DVDs so there is no need for third-party formatting
3) Provide control over which NAS folders to be backed up
4) Initially do a full backup followed by incrementals
5) Non-proprietary storing of files
6) AES encryption if required

Although several software vendors offer a "complete" solution, many simply do not perform well over networks. At other times, handling DVD formatting etc. did not work and the software simply fault dumped.

I am still investigating but the front runners currently are:

Genie-Soft (genie-soft.com) - as it does DVD spanning and regular ZIP archiving ( no need to re-install app in order to recover)
backup4all (backup4all.com) - does DVD spanning, regular ZIP archiving BUT has some glitches with DVD formatting and thus aborts backup - I am currently checking with them to see if that is easily fixable.

As for your request KyleK, I have successfully used GoodSync (http://www.goodsync.com/howitworks.html) a file synchronization/backup utility which you can use to schedule granular backup by file. I use it to "backup" my local files automatically from our laptops to the NAS-323. I am also researching this option a bit more as it seems to have quite a solid backup strategy as well.

All software mentioned has 30 day trials, is between $60-100 per license. Goodsync is free but has a limit on the number of files that can be synched until you have to buy the full version.

I hope that this thread stays open as I see a good backup strategy for a NAS as important - I have used many corporate solutions before that worked well, but are outside the realm of possibility for many home users.

Cheers,

Peer

Might be worth looking at Ahead Nero Backup.  Not sure if it will do non-proprietary backup format, but worth a look.
Can I also advise you that DVDs don't last forever.  Keep them out of heat, light, etc.  Not all DVDs are created equal.  Only use Verbatim for backups, its the only brand I can recommend (they have a "100 years" guarantee, if you believe it).  Also burn at the slowest speed you can set the burner at.  The faster it burns the more errors the disk will need to correct with checksum bits, when it is eventually read back.

M

#12 2008-01-19 00:27:46

KyleK

Just to let you guys know, after some digging and testing I found Backup4All to be very well suited for my requirements. I've been testing for a 2 weeks now, it does what it's supposed to, is easy to set up.
What more could I wish for? smile

Board footer