DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-01-25 18:02:56

joisey04

DNS-323 and MAC's

Hello Everybody!

I'm a converted Mac user and bought the DNS-323 as a replacement for my NSLU2 from Linksys. Reason? The linksys doesn't do disk spin down and I needed print server.

Now, to sum it up quickly: it doesn't work well. sad

It only supports smb which means it's slow over the network. The Printserver doesn't work either...
Everytime I try to copy a large amount of files, it disconnects eventually...
Same thing if i map the volume...after some time it disconnects by itself....very strange

NOW, before you all start: I KNOW that it doesn't say it will support macs. But is there anyone out who also uses it with a mac and are ther ways to improve it by writing little programs?? (Bonjour,..)

Thank you very much for insides

m.

#2 2007-01-25 18:53:59

jhleung

Re: DNS-323 and MAC's

I use it with a Mac, OS X, 10.4.8.  I've been using since mid December and it works, except for the fact that the DNS323 doesn't support Asian-language filenames.  I don't use the print server.  Also, with SMB, when transferring lots/huge files via finder, I average around 12 - 16 MB/s.  This is over Gigabit Ethernet.  That seems pretty reasonable to me, and is what smallnetbulider.com got on their review of the DNS323.  I don't have a problem with disconnecting.  I mount drives through finder (go, connect to server, smb://Volume1/whatever) and leave it mounted for 24 hours at a time.

That said, do make sure you run 1.02 firmware and that you've reformatted everything to ext2.

#3 2007-01-26 11:01:08

rguerra

I've been using the DNS 323 on my mac network since early dec. All works fine, my setup is as follows:

- HP 1200 printer connected to DNS 323. Can access the printer on the network via Samba. I can document the steps - just let me know.

- DNS 323 connected to local lan switch

- Debian chroot files installed on DNS 3232

- fun_plug installed to start SSH & appletalk.

* With appletalk installed folders and files can be created with accents and non-latin characters smile
* Machine can be accessed via ssh tunnel as well. Thus, printing can be done when travelling.

All in all - the device has been a great buy. wonderful.

Now if only the firmware could be updated/replaced so that the machine starts directly into debian.

regards

RG

#4 2007-01-26 17:56:05

joisey04

Hi RG,

could you please point me in the right direction? I'm not really at home in linux but I'd still like to implement what you did!

(oh, i do run 1.0.2 and i did reformat the disks, running them in RAID1)

Thanks!
M.

#5 2007-03-02 12:08:51

liske

I would second the demo request!

JL

#6 2007-03-02 21:07:08

catohagen

im using dns323 on Morphos (ppc operating system) 24/7 in 3 weeks now so it works pretty fine on anything that can connect to samba shares smile fast as hell too smile

#7 2007-03-08 09:09:25

liske

I have to replay my request of someone to set up a step by step instruction on setting up debain / Netatalk for a NOOB on a mac using terminal.

How about $xx to the DEMO creator and another $xx to support the forum?

#8 2007-03-09 00:21:58

dcrosby

I'm not qualified to run a full demo, but I happen to have gotten this working in the last few days, so I thought I'd get this started. If people want to start a real wiki page for it, I'd be happy to contribute. Note that this is not for the faint of heart, but I am only a little bit linux-saavy, and I was able to get it going.

1) Set up telnet access, a minimal Debian distro, and the "busybox" commands so that you can chroot to it. This is all on the wiki under howto:chroot_debian. Now for some reason I couldn't get this working with the "sarge" install, but with the "etch" install it went smoothly. By downloading the minimal "etch" distro, you do NOT need a separate x86 Debian box.

2) Telnet to the box, chroot to debian, and install netatalk. You *can* just use the "apt-get install netatalk" command, but this will NOT include the necessary component to allow 128-bit secure logins, and I at least don't like sending passwords in cleartext, even over my local network. Yeah, paranoid I guess. This gave me fits for a while, but then I found the following forum post which helped a great deal:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … stcount=16

Yes, I know it says Ubuntu, but the instructions worked on Debian. Note that for this to work you'll have had to use "apt-get install gcc" and the other compiler stuff as described in the chroot_debian howto. Also, at first you'll be in as root, so you don't need to worry about the "sudo" stuff.

3) Set up your afpd.conf file the way you want it for AFP (AppleShare) access. This is a little bit cryptic, but the PDF of netatalk instructions included in the package is actually quite fantastic.

4) Now you should just be able to execute "afpd" and have access. You will probably want to add an "afpd" line to the linuxrc file, so that it starts automatically when the router boots.

5) Once I had everything working well, I created a user account in the Debian install (using "adduser"), gave it sudo access, verified that I could ssh into that account, and disabled telnet in the "fun_plug" file. I didn't like the fact that telneting to the box gave automatic root access, with no password. Now I can ssh to the box to make changes that I want, and if I need to add telnet access back, I can do so by changing fun_plug again.

I know this is probably too short and terse for some people, but it's a start. I'll try to re-check the forums to help out if people have questions. As I said, I am *NOT* an expert, but this wiki has been incredibly helpful for me, and I'll give something back if I can.

Last edited by dcrosby (2007-03-09 00:29:37)

#9 2007-03-09 07:59:42

Apskaft

dcrosby wrote:

As I said, I am *NOT* an expert, but this wiki has been incredibly helpful for me, and I'll give something back if I can.

I've created a placeholder in the Wiki with instructions copied from your post. It'd be great if you and all the others out there modified it to completeness. Edititing a Wiki is very simple, so don't hesitate to contibute.

/Apan

#10 2007-03-09 09:18:28

dcrosby

Apskaft wrote:

I've created a placeholder in the Wiki with instructions copied from your post. It'd be great if you and all the others out there modified it to completeness. Edititing a Wiki is very simple, so don't hesitate to contibute.

/Apan

Thanks! I've edited it a bit and added a little info. Note that for reasons that I explain at the top of the page, it may be better to label it "AFP" rather than "appletalk." I actually didn't even set up appletalk (the networking protocol) at all, just AFP (the filesharing protocol, running over TCP/IP). I know how to edit a wiki, but I don't know how to change its name/title.

#11 2007-03-11 17:00:49

Hajonides

dcrosby wrote:

1) Set up telnet access, a minimal Debian distro, and the "busybox" commands so that you can chroot to it. This is all on the wiki under howto:chroot_debian. Now for some reason I couldn't get this working with the "sarge" install, but with the "etch" install it went smoothly. By downloading the minimal "etch" distro, you do NOT need a separate x86 Debian box.

Well, this is as far as I already got: installing / running "sarge" and "apt-get install netatalk" (though with some unresolved issues, see postings in 'installing debian sarge on the dns-323'). Would like to try if afpd would run on "sarge", leaving all other settings to standard, so did Telnet to the box, chroot to sarge and wanted to execute afpd. Being a linux noob, tried several commands and found "exec afpd", with this result "sh: exec: afpd: not found" (already can imagine some of you guys rofl… ;-)) Searching for "afpd" in the folder "sarge" is running for several hours now…
So what would be your advice: wipe off sarge and start over with etch? That leaves me with the fact that the wiki and fun_plug is written for sarge. Can I simply replace any "sarge" for "etch" in the fun_plug? Or, in other words, how does fun_plug looks with "etch" installed in stead of "sarge"?

dcrosby wrote:

4) Now you should just be able to execute "afpd" and have access. You will probably want to add an "afpd" line to the linuxrc file, so that it starts automatically when the router boots.

And how does this line look? (yes, really -am- the classic noob…)

#12 2007-03-11 19:54:11

dcrosby

Hajonides wrote:

Well, this is as far as I already got: installing / running "sarge" and "apt-get install netatalk" (though with some unresolved issues, see postings in 'installing debian sarge on the dns-323'). Would like to try if afpd would run on "sarge", leaving all other settings to standard, so did Telnet to the box, chroot to sarge and wanted to execute afpd. Being a linux noob, tried several commands and found "exec afpd", with this result "sh: exec: afpd: not found" (already can imagine some of you guys rofl… ;-)) Searching for "afpd" in the folder "sarge" is running for several hours now…
So what would be your advice: wipe off sarge and start over with etch? That leaves me with the fact that the wiki and fun_plug is written for sarge. Can I simply replace any "sarge" for "etch" in the fun_plug? Or, in other words, how does fun_plug looks with "etch" installed in stead of "sarge"?

If you have "sarge" running correctly, it should do everything you need it to. I had some issues with sarge but, unfortunately, I don't even remember what they are now.

If "apt-get install netatalk" ran successfully, you should be able to just type "afpd" to start it running. Note, though, that as per what I said above, the default netatalk installed with "apt-get" will not include secure passwords. If you are only connecting over your local network, that should not be much of an issue.

And yes, if you use etch instead of sarge, you should just be able to replace every instance of "sarge" in your fun_plug with "etch".

Hajonides wrote:

And how does this line look? (yes, really -am- the classic noob…)

Once the config file is set up, the line in linuxrc is as simple as it can get:

Code:

afpd

I hope this helps. I'm no expert either, but I'll do what I can!

#13 2007-03-11 22:59:41

Hajonides

Thanks, sooo close now…
Ran "apt-get install netatalk" again; after lots of issues at previous attempts it now ran pretty smoothly. Immediately of course tried to login with afp://xxx and indeed got the Connect to server dialog box! Just have to type Name & Password, but which… aargh.
They aren't the same naturally as the D-Link ones, and I can't remember to have given name/pass in the sarge setup process.
Tried "passwd root", typed in a pass, but no luck with any combination whatsoever… I'm clearly missing something…

Board footer