DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-04-11 15:11:10

knireis

Tutorial: installing Slimserver (version 6.3.0.4)

This tutorial describes how to set up Slimserver on the nas. Many credits go to a member from the Slimdevices forum named Bpa who helped me setting this up. http://forums.slimdevices.com/index.php

Step 1:
You need a fixed IP on your nas (see the configuration of your device)

Step 2:
Setup Fonz funplug, follow the instructions on: http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.4/
Version 0.5 will probably work as well.

Step 3:
If you are using the Twonky mediaserver disable the twonkystart line in your funplug in order to not run the Twonky server during install and setup. To run both see step 10

Step 4:
You need to chroot the debian etch package on the NAS. See the wiki-howto: http://dns323.kood.org/howto:chroot_debian

Step 5:
Reboot your nas and go via telnet to the chrooted environment: in my case the etch directory is located in /mnt/HD_a2/debian and my nas is called CH3SNAS:

# cd /mnt/HD_a2/debian
# chroot etch /bin/bash
# apt-get update
# apt-get install slimserver

The system asks if you want to install the additional packages. Answer yes. During the install a window will popup and tells you that there is the possibility to download the latest firmware for your Squeezebox, go with TAB to OK and select. Then select no, unless you don't have an always on internetconnection.

There should be no errors during installation and in the end it starts up the slimserver.

Step 6:
To be able to reach the configuration pages of the server you have to make an adjustment in the setup.

Reboot your nas and via telnet:

# vi /mnt/HD_a2/debian/etch/etc/default/slimserver

Press 'a' to enter insert mode. Change on line 7:
HTTP_ADDR=192.168.1.5       this is just an example, enter the ip of your nas
Press esc to leave insert mode and press ':wq' to save and quit

Step 7:

This assumes that you have your music-collection on the nas in a directory called: /mnt/HD_a2/music. Slimserver runs in the chrooted debian environment and is not able to see this directory. Therefor you can either move the files to within the /mnt/HD_a2/debian/etch directory or you can create a sort of shortcut (in windows terminology) to the music directory. I choose for the last option because that way your files will remain accessable via the windows explorer.

First create a folder music in the /mnt/HD_a2/debian/etch directory

# cd /mnt/HD_a2/debian/etch
# mkdir music

The command needed to make the 'shortcut' has to be put in your funplug to make it happen automatically (adapt the directories for your own situation):

mount --bind /mnt/HD_a2/music /mnt/HD_a2/debian/etch/music

I put above line immediately behind this line at the end of the funplug.
echo "* Done" >>${LOGFILE}

Step 8:
To make the Slimserver start automatically upon boot of your nas add this line to the funplug, below the line inserted in step 7.

cd /mnt/HD_a2/debian &&  chroot etch /etc/init.d/slimserver start >> /var/log/slimserver.log 2>&1

Step 9:
Reboot your nas and point your webbrowser at http://xxxx:9000 where you enter the ip of your nas at the xxxx
Now you will see the webinterface pages. Go to server settings and enter the music directory this way: /music
Then you can adjust/experiment with the other settings as you wish.

Step 10:
To be able to run both Twonky and Slimserver you have to adjust the http-port because both work as default on :9000. Go to the server settings and select tab 'network'. Under 'Web Server Port Number' enter your desired portnumber i.e. 9025. Next time you want to access the webinterface go to step 9 and change the 9000 in whatever you choose here.
Now you can re-enable Twonky again in your funplug and after reboot both will work.

Step 11:
If you don't own a Squeezebox yet (like me, it's on order) you can test the setup by installing Softsqueeze https://sourceforge.net/project/showfil … _id=105169

This is a 'software squeezebox', version 3.5 gives a warning that it does not work with this version of slimserver but it will work partially. Good enough to check if it sees the server and you can play the songs via the webinterface of the Slimserver.

Last edited by knireis (2008-05-03 14:11:17)

#2 2008-04-11 16:28:12

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Re: Tutorial: installing Slimserver (version 6.3.0.4)

Afaik, slimserver is written in perl, which is included in the 0.5 funplug. Do you know if it requires any non-standard perl modules?

#3 2008-04-11 16:33:23

knireis

fonz wrote:

Afaik, slimserver is written in perl, which is included in the 0.5 funplug. Do you know if it requires any non-standard perl modules?

It just installs all the necessary files/modules/libs, i saw many perl items passing by but if they are nonstandard i don't know.
I think it installs this package: http://packages.debian.org/etch/slimserver

and by the way it would be nice if it works with only funplug .5, so we don't need to chroot  debian on the nas first

Last edited by knireis (2008-04-11 16:37:23)

#4 2008-04-13 22:15:06

knireis

Now i put everything on a 1GB USB stick, and it works fine, also spindown of the harddrives.

#5 2008-05-03 12:36:34

phoski

Many thanks for this,

I had slimserver up and running first try with the help of this post. Only things I would add are:

1) make sure you have an up-to-date fun_plug. I only had the basic one from the DNS-323 wiki and it couldn't un-tar anything
2) I needed to copy /etc/localtime from my host machine (SuSE 10.3 64bit) into the etch environment (/mnt/HD_a2/etch/etc/localtime) in order to get the correct time showing on my squeezebox.

I also tried to upgrade to squeezecenter (7.0_all). The upgrade seemed to work and ps command showed that squeezecenter was running, but I could not hit the homepage anymore. I could ping dns-ip:9000 from telnet on the DNS-323 but not from anywhere else. Any ideas why this would be the case?

#6 2008-05-03 14:07:30

knireis

1. I will add it to the tutorial, I used funplug 0.4
2. I had no problem with this, maybe you are using a different etch?

How did you do the upgrade? I have tried also but couldn't get the server running. In the logfile it shows that the server starts up but shuts down immediately, then startsup again and so on.
I really would like to get at least 6.5.4 running in order to be able to use some plugins. 7.0 is maybe a bit to much for this NAS, they say you need at least 128mb of ram. And i don't know if it is possible to upgrade the ram of this machine.

#7 2008-05-03 14:54:45

phoski

I also upgraded to funplug 0.4 to fix my problem with tar

I assumed that the /etc/localtime that comes with the etch distro is 'set' to a specific timezone (possibly Berlin?). My time zone is Australia/Melbourne (GMT-10) I tried to reset the the time using tzselect (within etch), but with each reboot of the DNS323 it went back to the 'default'. By replacing /etc/timezone with the file from my primary PC the problem was fixed.

The upgrade was not straightforward.

I initially tried:

apt-get install squeezecenter

having added 'deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main' to my sources.list

This resulted in a squeezecenter package not found message. I tried both spellings ie squeezecenter and squeezecentre btw.

I then tried installing a squeezecenter_7.0_all.deb package I download directly. Within the chroot'ed environment, I installed it using dpkg and got error messages regarding my versions of mysql_server, libmysqlclient and mysql_client. I upgraded these packages using apt-get and the squeezecenter installation seemed to complete automagically. Forgive my ignorance, I have only used YAST and rpm package managers until now, but that is how it appeared to happen :-).

After I altered the fun_plug file to invoke /etc/init.d/squeezecenter instead of slimserver, I rebooted and was able to see squeezecenter running under telnet ps and ping commands, but nowhere else.

Last edited by phoski (2008-05-03 15:14:13)

#8 2008-05-03 15:16:53

knireis

I'm a linux noob as well, so I don't really know. You already came further than I with the 7.0 version.
I'm just hoping that one day someone will show up on this forum who knows more about this kind of stuff. The real problem is that as far as I know there are no packages compiled for an ARM processor. All posts you read on the slimdevices forum are about debian packages compiled for PPC, amd and i386.

#9 2008-05-03 15:46:13

phoski

I will try the crosscompiler setup and get back to you. Please excuse me if I am slow as I have a 2yo who is jealous of my online time ;-)

#10 2008-05-03 15:54:27

knireis

Take your time, i know what you're talking about, having a 1,5 and 3 year running around the house.

I would be interested in the 6.5.4 version. Downloads can also be found here: http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/

#11 2008-05-14 13:17:13

CamBendy

knireis wrote:

Now i put everything on a 1GB USB stick, and it works fine, also spindown of the harddrives.

Newbie asks - ummmm, why and how?

I gather that installed as per your instructions (which is excellent btw) it will be installed on the device and will keep the HDD's spinning all the time.

Any other issues I should know about? I only just realised that my newly aquired SquuezeBox could be 'served' from the DNS323.

#12 2008-05-16 14:57:18

knireis

CamBendy wrote:

knireis wrote:

Newbie asks - ummmm, why and how?

I gather that installed as per your instructions (which is excellent btw) it will be installed on the device and will keep the HDD's spinning all the time.

Any other issues I should know about? I only just realised that my newly aquired SquuezeBox could be 'served' from the DNS323.

well you answered the why already -> disks go into sleep with debian on a usb stick
the how -> this is described in the wiki page (look for debian on usb) and has nothing to do with the actual install of the slimserver itself

Board footer