DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-10-22 01:30:51

Dlink

Those interested in 1.06 changes.

#2 2008-10-22 09:34:21

craft
Website

Re: Those interested in 1.06 changes.

nice list smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 x DNS-320
1 x DNS-325

#3 2008-10-22 10:12:41

MountainMan

Dlink wrote:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=2663.0

FYI smile.

That is a nice list of features for 1.06!  I've been having trouble getting the email notification to work with my gmail account, now I know why.  I've also been having trouble getting my PS3 to recognize the UPnP server, I guess because its not DLNA, but hopefully 1.06 addresses this as well.

The one concern I have is that it doesn't seem to address the bugs people have frequently reported with resync/rebuild failures where the wrong disk is formatted resulting in loss of all user data.  Or was this fully understood and resolved in a prior patch?

I just bought the DNS-323 a few days ago and I've been working on getting it all setup as well as running tests.  This error that potentially will cause the loss of all my data scares the heck out of me.  I feel like D-Link should demonstrate they are serious about making NAS products by showing they are as serious about protecting their customers data as we are about our data.  After all, anyone who uses a RAID1 for continuous data redundancy is somewhat paranoid to begin with.  So I'm having a hard time accepting that my NAS can't properly resync/reconstruct after a drive failure.  If D-Link doesn't think this bug is serious enough to urgently resolve, even though it has caused many customers to lose all their data, what does that say about potential other bugs that might cause my data to be lost?  Is my data safe on a device from a company that isn't all that worried about data integrity?

I should be able to plug/unplug a second drive hundreds of times, with or without allowing a sync to complete, with anything or nothing on it, without EVER worrying that my NAS will corrupt or delete the contents of the first working drive.  Right?  We should all have 100% confidence in this fundamental NAS RAID feature.  We buy RAIDs to have confidence.

My friend felt the same way after reading all the horror stories and he is holding off on buying one until I prove it works through my testing and until D-Link says the bug is understood and fixed!  I guess he is smarter than I am.

One other minor question for the group - it doesn't seem like the hard drives every actually power down.  I have power savings mode enabled with a 15 minute timer to shut off the hard disks.  I have two Seagate 1TB drives installed in a RAID 1 config.  They never seem to go off.  The lights are always on even after a full night of no activity and the temperature of the unit shows its still in a relatively high power mode.  Whats going on?  Is this a known bug or am I missing something?

Thanks!

p.s. - LOVE THE BUILD QUALITY AND OVERALL PRODUCT!  The unit is so well made and attractive that I am compelled to give it a chance to resolve remaining bugs, even serious ones.  Most products feel like such JUNK these days that its refreshing to touch something that is well made.

#4 2008-10-22 15:02:30

fordem

MountainMan wrote:

Dlink wrote:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=2663.0

FYI smile.

That is a nice list of features for 1.06!  I've been having trouble getting the email notification to work with my gmail account, now I know why.  I've also been having trouble getting my PS3 to recognize the UPnP server, I guess because its not DLNA, but hopefully 1.06 addresses this as well.

The one concern I have is that it doesn't seem to address the bugs people have frequently reported with resync/rebuild failures where the wrong disk is formatted resulting in loss of all user data.  Or was this fully understood and resolved in a prior patch?

I just bought the DNS-323 a few days ago and I've been working on getting it all setup as well as running tests.  This error that potentially will cause the loss of all my data scares the heck out of me.  I feel like D-Link should demonstrate they are serious about making NAS products by showing they are as serious about protecting their customers data as we are about our data.  After all, anyone who uses a RAID1 for continuous data redundancy is somewhat paranoid to begin with.  So I'm having a hard time accepting that my NAS can't properly resync/reconstruct after a drive failure.  If D-Link doesn't think this bug is serious enough to urgently resolve, even though it has caused many customers to lose all their data, what does that say about potential other bugs that might cause my data to be lost?  Is my data safe on a device from a company that isn't all that worried about data integrity?

I should be able to plug/unplug a second drive hundreds of times, with or without allowing a sync to complete, with anything or nothing on it, without EVER worrying that my NAS will corrupt or delete the contents of the first working drive.  Right?  We should all have 100% confidence in this fundamental NAS RAID feature.  We buy RAIDs to have confidence.

My friend felt the same way after reading all the horror stories and he is holding off on buying one until I prove it works through my testing and until D-Link says the bug is understood and fixed!  I guess he is smarter than I am.

One other minor question for the group - it doesn't seem like the hard drives every actually power down.  I have power savings mode enabled with a 15 minute timer to shut off the hard disks.  I have two Seagate 1TB drives installed in a RAID 1 config.  They never seem to go off.  The lights are always on even after a full night of no activity and the temperature of the unit shows its still in a relatively high power mode.  Whats going on?  Is this a known bug or am I missing something?

Thanks!

p.s. - LOVE THE BUILD QUALITY AND OVERALL PRODUCT!  The unit is so well made and attractive that I am compelled to give it a chance to resolve remaining bugs, even serious ones.  Most products feel like such JUNK these days that its refreshing to touch something that is well made.

Whilst I don't disagree with the need for greater reliability in the rebuilding of RAID arrays, I will point out, that if you do what you have suggested here to a lot of enterprise grade equipment, you'd better have a good backup, because you WILL end up trashing the array.

#5 2008-10-22 23:39:26

perssinaasappel

Sorry for my dumbass question but is firmware development for the DNS-323 following the same path as the CH3SNAS?
Or are these complete different development teams?

Official FW at this time:
DNS-323: v1.05
CH3SNAS: v1.04RC5

CH3SNAS • 1.05b5 • ffp 0.5 • 2x WD Caviar Green WD5000AACS • nzbget(web)

#6 2008-10-23 01:56:16

Dlink

"The one concern I have is that it doesn't seem to address the bugs people have frequently reported with resync/rebuild failures where the wrong disk is formatted resulting in loss of all user data.  Or was this fully understood and resolved in a prior patch?"

This is a high priority for us and it is being investigated to its fullest. With 1.06 we have made some major changes to the re-sync/build system and hopefully after testing is done we can put this issue to rest. Beyond that, feel free to signup on the D-Link official forums and post feature requests in the Official 1.07 Wish List thead. We will be maintaining that thread and updating it as changes/additions come in.

#7 2008-10-23 03:32:59

puterboy

I didn't see any mention of a bug fix for the security hole where all files are accessible over the LAN to any user via a simple url. I know that d-link had mentioned several times that this would be fixed in the next release so am wondering whether this was fixed.

Thanks

#8 2008-10-23 20:03:27

noodle

Hopefully it will fix that temperature reading issue.

Board footer