DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-04-08 00:01:20

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Fun-Plug, Kernel Loader and Linux from Scratch

It took some time, but I finally managed to install and boot a Cross-Compiled Linux from Scratch (CLFS) on my 323. The whole thing is a combination of:
- my fun-plug providing telnet and NFS
- my kernel loader module
- a 2.6.6-arm2 kernel I compiled from D-Link's sources
- lots of scripts that create  CLFS plus additional programs

I've uploaded an image to my website. See fun-plug/ and bob-clfs/ directories (reloaded.ko is included in bob-clfs).
Packages included are: busybox, uClibc, e2fsprogs, zlib, file, mdadm, kernel-nfs server, samba 3 and rsync.
I also left the cross-compiler in, so if you have a linux desktop (I'm running Slackware 11), you should be able to compile additional programs (it's gcc 4.1.2).

RAID config is completely missing yet (though mdadm is already included), so you should configure the original firmware for "standard" mode, i.e. two separate disks. I hope that it will be possible to leave the firmware in standard mode and configure RAID only in the "custom firmware".

The kernel I'm using is still compiled with gcc 3.3.6 (from D-Link's toolchain) - 2.6.6 just doesn't compile with gcc-4, but I hope, the new kernel will (once D-Link releases new source code).

I didn't upload scripts, patches and sources I use to create CLFS (my server is runnning out of space), but I'll try to make it available to anyone who wants to give it a try. It's almost trivial - a single script rebuilds the whole CLFS in about 30mins on my Core2 Duo.

Still, there's a lot missing to make it real usable: RAID config, fan control, web interface, cron/at, mt-daapd, netatalk, ...

#2 2007-04-08 01:51:48

mig

Re: Fun-Plug, Kernel Loader and Linux from Scratch

fonz wrote:

The kernel I'm using is still compiled with gcc 3.3.6 (from D-Link's toolchain) - 2.6.6 just doesn't compile with gcc-4, but I hope, the new kernel will (once D-Link releases new source code).

I think we need to post multiple requests to the D-Links support to remind D-Link that they need to release the new source code.  I inquired about the 1.03 source code and here is D-Link's response.  Doesn't sound promising sad

PEARL MITCHELL, D-Link (USA) Technical Support wrote:

Your Case ID is DLK398511035.

[Critical: Please do not change the subject line of your email when you reply. Leaving the subject line as it is will allow us to review your complete history and help us to better serve you.]

Date of Reply: 4/7/2007
Products: DNS-323
Operating System: Windows XP Pro

Mig,

The latest version of device drivers, device manuals, and software utilities are available to download from http://support.dlink.com/downloads or from ftp://ftp.dlink.com.

If the resource you are looking for is not posted at either of these sites, then the resource is not available.

As soon as these resources are made available, they will be posted at one of the above listed sites. Thank you for using D-Link products.

Should you require further assistance with your D-Link products, please reply to this message, or call toll free at 877-453-5465. 

For D-Link's preferred Home Networking application please try http://www.networkmagic.com/nmlp/dlinksupport.php from Pure Networks. It simplifies Microsoft Networking and may allow you to trouble shoot your network on your own.

Thank you for networking with D-Link.

Sincerely,
PEARL MITCHELL
D-Link Technical Support

============Begin of Original Message============
Where can I download the GPL source files used for the new v1.03 firmware for the DNS-323?
============End of Original Message============

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#3 2007-04-08 02:35:37

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

I have tried same with DSM-G600 but no luck, all sources for DSM-G600 at d-link sites are released back in 2005 for their initial (shipping) firmware but nothing for updated firmwares.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

#4 2007-04-08 12:22:37

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

sala wrote:

I have tried same with DSM-G600 but no luck, all sources for DSM-G600 at d-link sites are released back in 2005 for their initial (shipping) firmware but nothing for updated firmwares.

Have you seen this? http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060922 … kfurt.html

#5 2007-04-09 11:21:14

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

Yes, in few first months of 2006 there was nothing uploaded to D-Links site and then some sourced did appear I don't remember the exact date (maybe it was March when gpl vialoation did go court with this case) , but it's no important because all sources where still old (dated 2005 and probably for initial/shipping firmware) no matcher when they did get uploaded.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

Board footer