DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-06-28 00:20:11

tom

Is it possible to use the G600 to bridge ethernet to wlan?

Hi to everybody,
as always with D-link you have to find resources somewhere else...
and here is the place.
I had bought the g600 to use it as a nas but also as a bridge to connect some wired only pc/xbox/satbox to my wireless router.
I had an old DWL 900+ AP that does the job quite fine but it's damn slow (11 mbits).
these same old 900+ if put in client mode, bridges the connection from ethernet to the outside world thru the wlan.
Is it possible by some magic to achieve the same result on the g600?

Thank you to everybody!

Tom

#2 2007-06-28 10:53:28

SystemR89

Re: Is it possible to use the G600 to bridge ethernet to wlan?

You can try to use a modified firmware (see Acinonyx.tk) that have some improvement or switch your D-Link DWL-900+ rev B to an US Robotics USR 2249 (see http://www.napoliwireless.net/dwl900plu … usr2249eng)
However here (http://www.napoliwireless.net/dwl900plus_hack.asp) you can find a lot of hack for DWL-900+! smile

Free is BETTER!!
Use GNU/Linux!!

#3 2007-06-28 22:03:23

tom

Many many thanks for all the infos,
but maybe I haven't explained it clearly:
what I would like to do is achieve a ethernet to wlan passthrough connection
on the dsm-g600
not on the dwl 900+
(which by the way -incredibly- does it with stock firmware)
anyone has a clue?

thank you

tom

#4 2007-06-29 10:29:29

SystemR89

ah, ok!
Yes you can use your DSM-G600 as wireless client in the same mode that you use your DWL-900+ now.
You only need to switch from AP to Client mode in the wireless settings of DSM-G600.

Free is BETTER!!
Use GNU/Linux!!

#5 2007-06-29 11:55:04

tom

well...
I tried it and it doesn't work, ;-)
I can connect to the g600 through ethernet and/or wlan but
pc/xbox/sat connected to g600 through ethernet cannot use it as a wirelless bridge to my router (a wlan fritzbox)
and ultimately to the outside world...
since when the g600 works as an AP it bridges connections from the
wlan --> ethernet --> wired router ---> world
I was hoping to achieve the same result when in client mode, just the other way round,
ethernet --> wlan --> wlan router --> world

DWL 900+does it but since it's 11mbit it's damn slow (and btw supports only wep and I would like wpa-psk...)

thank you

tom

#6 2007-06-29 13:39:39

SystemR89

it's very strange that it doesn't work as client.. what is the firmware version of your DSM-G600?
Upgrade to 1.02US. If it still not working you can try changing wireless setting on FritzBox (WEP, WPA...)

Free is BETTER!!
Use GNU/Linux!!

#7 2007-06-29 19:25:23

tom

Upgrading it to 1.02US
was the first thing I've done after unpacking it ;-)
I read on the forum EU version was flawed so I quickly changed it to the revised US version.
I resume my setup
Fritzbox 7140 with ADSL connection
Wlan set to WEP (for retrocompatibility with 900+AP)

macmini connected with static ip wirelessly
macbook connected with static ip wirelessly
psp connected with static ip wirelessly

dwl 900+ap connected as wlan client
ethernet switch connected to 900+ ethernet port
xbox (with XBMC of course!) + asus pc + dreambox connected to switch (all with static ips)

Problem is 900+ AP is a bottleneck
I would have liked to exchange it for a g600 (faster and with 300gb hd no problem switching on pcs just to hear some music)
but no way to passthrough connected boxes from ethernet to wlan.
I don't believe it's a fritzbox problem.

I believe it's a g600 firmware "feature" (as Microsoft would define) Ethernet and wlan oddly share the same IP address (I don't really know if MAC address is the same) and it seems that no communication is possible between them.
Anyone had any luck with some custom firmware?
Since I don't have soldered any serial port on the g600 I would like to try a homebrew firmware only if I really need it..

BTW thank you for your interest SystemR89!

#8 2007-08-08 12:27:16

jota

Hi everyone on my first post in this forum!!

The reason for being here is just the title of this thread.

Tom, unfortunately I don't have the answer but I explain my experience just in case it can be useful, but I think you are much more ahead than me in this matter.

If you configure the g600 in client mode, the moment you connect a device to the ehternet (rj45) port, you loose the wireless connection. You recover it when you disconnect (phisically) the cable from the ethernet port. So I think they share IP address, and maybe MAC.

If you make the g600 be the access point of your wireless network, you get what you want. Wireless and cable clients attached to the g600, working simultaneously. But in my case, I had to create two wireless networks on my home to make it work. One for the wireless-adsl-router I already have, and one for the g600. I had to create this two networks as neither wireless router (the one I have and the g600) can expand an existing wireless network.

About two weeks ago I asked d-link tech support about all this by mail. It cost me a lot to make myself understood (as you'll have noticed I'm not a mother-language-english speaking person). At the end, they said that the device cannnot work as a bridge between the ethernet and the wireless connections.

Thank you,
Jota

#9 2007-08-08 12:37:13

tom

Really is this kind of "features" tha make me mad!
at this moment my gsm-600 sits in a corner, unfortunately I have no time to spend tinkering with it...
What I've noticed is that the GSM performs some sort of complex redirection of the ip addresses on bootup,
but I didn't really notice that if you have connection a wired + wireless connection one of them drops...
Nice feature d-Link!!
Wouldn't it be easier to have 2 ip address 1 wired and 1 wireless? without messing it too much?

Last edited by tom (2007-08-08 12:38:15)

#10 2007-09-02 13:46:14

dpavlin
Website

Early in the boot sequence D-Link firmware loads bonding.o module which bonds eth0 and ra0 interfaces (result is same mac address which you can check with ifconfig). Later on, it creates bridge br0 which allows packets to flow between ethernet and wifi.

I don't really think that there is solution for D-Link firmware because it lacks tools to restore mac addresses on interfaces (e.g. arp command), and I haven't been able to found how to do that using echo to /proc (or some other method) under 2.4.21-pre4.

However, if you have chroot-ed some full distribution (Debian, gentoo) you can de-configure networking on the box. However, you would need serial port to do this because you would be disconnecting yourself from network in the process.

I could imagine that compiling necessary tools for D-Link firmware (is there arp command in busybox?) and writing funplug carefully you could do that without serial port...

#11 2007-09-03 10:57:29

tom

thanks for the information,
unhappily it's far more advanced than my humble capacity permits to wrestle...

bye!

Board footer