DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-08-01 12:19:11

terhoy

No Hard drives were detected. Must use reset to get access to drives

Hello guys, I have a problem with my DNS-323 unit.

I have searched this excellent forum and found a thread (http://dns323.kood.org/forum/p3389-20070529-185243.html) but I can not se that this is solved or if Dlink has confirmed this issue? Or am I missing something in this tread?

My problem is similar to the one above but anyway:

I am using two SEAGATE 400GB (ST3400833AS) hard drives in my unit. I can se the unit in the "Easy search utility" but when I click "Configuration" button I am getting this messages: "No Hard drives were detected. Please verify that the hard drives are properly connected before continuing."

The two blue led are blinking rapidly.

But when I use the reset "button" in the back of the unit and wait until it has restarted, and then I am getting access to my disks. I am able to format the disk using Raid 1 and do any other necessary configuration and do a lot of restarts (warm start). But when I turn the unit off by either using power off button in the front or choose shutdown for the web GUI the same thing happens again. I am getting the messages "No Hard drives were detected. Please verify that the hard drives are properly connected before continuing."

I have tested with only one hard drive installed. Have also tested with fw 1.02 and 1.03 but it does not changes anything.

I opened a case at Dlink support and after some time they sent me a new unit. But when I installed the same hard drives in the new unit the same error happened again.

Dlink support does not seem to know what to do with this kind of error. Are the hard drives incompatible with this unit, is it a firmware problem or is it something else that causes this problem?

Any suggestions will be very helpfull.  :-)

Best Regards,

Terje

#2 2007-08-01 17:12:09

fordem

Re: No Hard drives were detected. Must use reset to get access to drives

I'm thinking the unit is trying to detect the drives before they are ready - I've seen this happen with Maxtor drives, which ship configured for "staggered spinup" to reduce the loading on the power supply.

Check the drive manufacturer's' website, your Seagate's may have a similar feature.

#3 2007-08-01 23:40:00

terhoy

Hello fordem and thank you for the input.

I have checked the web site of Seagate and found this manual, http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/man … 90001c.pdf To me it looks like this disk are rather dumb witch in this case it is an advantage. I was not able to find anything about staggered spin-up. But Seagate states on their web site (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?l … 04090aRCRD) that this feature is a part of the SATA interface. So it is probably supported though it is not mentioned in this manual.

Regards, Terje

#4 2008-12-25 12:54:54

nas-addict

Hi all,

I got the similar problem too, but is slightly diff from the first post. I have posted similar posts elsewhere and I had diff responses and I got confused as none seemed to work.

For me, I am using wd 2 of 500b green hard drives and they are compatible with dns313 and I assumed that the hard drives are okay with dns323.

I can see the unit in the "Easy search utility" but when I click "Configuration" button I am getting this messages: "No Hard drives were detected." and when I tested with winxp and vista .

It does not matter I slot left or right slot in dns323,I simply got ;No Hard drives were detected.'

When I access the web gui, I cant click the button to select raid1/0 and I can't format the hard drives. Borrowed a hitachi 500Gb sata from my fren and tested, again, it is the same.

The blue leds for power and network are tuned on but NOT blinking. No amber or other colors seen / detected.
The blue led (network) blinks occasionally.

The hard drives are okay.

I am currently using version 1.05

Not sure if dns323 is partially dead or what.....

Now I got 2 hard drives and that dns323.....

Board footer