DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-11-21 23:03:54

hwazlewood

formatting wrong drive

has anyone else had the problem when adding a second drive it formats the wrong one.

I'm talking to Dlink about this and they are eluding to it being my fault not a problem in there FW.

if you have heard of the issue please say, if you have experienced it first hand please say how it happened.

Mine i put a 750 drive in the right bay then weeks later another one the same in the left bay.
The DNS formatted both drives.

Max

#2 2007-11-21 23:48:13

fickle

Re: formatting wrong drive

i was told or recomended that if you format.. make sure you dont have the one you dont want in the 323..

#3 2007-11-22 03:35:24

fordem

There are quite a few reported incidents - at first I thought it was linked to whether or not the "new" drive had partitions & data on it - but at least one user says both of his drives were new.

fickle wrote:

i was told or recomended that if you format.. make sure you dont have the one you dont want in the 323..

I'm not certain - but I don't think the DNS-323 will let you format a RAID array with only one drive inside it - so that could present a problem for RAID users if a drive fails.

#4 2007-11-22 12:15:50

Chumby
Website

Max,

Yep, it happened to me.  I only have the disk in the RHS drive which I want to format.  Nothing else in the LHS bay.

Chumby.

#5 2007-11-22 23:44:44

fickle

curious guys,

if we have only one drive (as i do) in the right bay... so there for you can only format as standard.. then stick a 2nd disk into left bay, can we format to RAID1 without data loss?

cheers

#6 2007-11-23 04:36:24

fordem

fickle wrote:

curious guys,

if we have only one drive (as i do) in the right bay... so there for you can only format as standard.. then stick a 2nd disk into left bay, can we format to RAID1 without data loss?

cheers

No - formating for any type of RAID will format both drives.

#7 2007-11-25 00:41:20

dickeywang

I had the same bad experience, look at my previous post:
http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t885-OMFG- … rible.html

#8 2007-11-26 15:41:51

ZhaoYun

Add me to the list. I had this bad experience and lost 6 years of my family photos. Moral of the story, only put the drive you want to format in the bay, nothing else. My wife nearly divorce me because of this.

#9 2007-11-26 17:19:50

fordem

ZhaoYun wrote:

Add me to the list. I had this bad experience and lost 6 years of my family photos. Moral of the story, only put the drive you want to format in the bay, nothing else. My wife nearly divorce me because of this.

Moral of the story is BACK UP your data - this is not about the DNS-323, it's about taking responsibility for your data.  If you had had these photos on the hard drive in your computer and the drive crashed - where would you have been?

#10 2007-11-27 03:49:39

bfaber
Website

fordem wrote:

ZhaoYun wrote:

Moral of the story is BACK UP your data - this is not about the DNS-323, it's about taking responsibility for your data.  If you had had these photos on the hard drive in your computer and the drive crashed - where would you have been?

Ugh..  Ok.. fine.. have a backup.

But no shipping raid should ever obliterate the wrong data on rebuild..  If it does, there should be no rebuild option.. simply a stated warning to backup, then reformat.

I can't believe the number of people here who post excuses for this glaring issue....

Last edited by bfaber (2007-11-27 03:50:00)

#11 2007-11-28 19:10:10

HaydnH

fordem wrote:

No - formating for any type of RAID will format both drives.

Using the web client will format both drives. However, /usr/sbin/mdadm exists...so I would ASSUME you could do it manually by:

- install new disk
    - use fdisk to setup the partition as per the old disk
    - use mdadm to create a mirror only containing the new disks partitions (remember swap)
    - mount the new partition (just data, not swap)
    - copy the data to the new mirror
    - figure out how the web interface configures the system to mount the mirror at boot...
    - ...and change the the configuration to mount the mirror at boot
    - reboot and check the mirror is mounted, not the old disk
    - if above successful add the old disk to the mirror and watch /proc/mdstat to confirm it's syncing
    - figure out how the web software check the raid is OK and do that

I know exactly what you're thinking, not easy and probably not advisable (especially without having a backup of the data... in which case why not just format and restore the backup)... but it SHOULD work ;P

Haydn.

Board footer