DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-11-28 16:46:31

toxite

heirloom mailx (nail) for the DNS-323

I've seen a few shell scripts on the forum here where people hack together SMTP email sending with telnet or the like.  I wanted something a little more robust, so I compiled Heirloom mailx (previously known as nail) for the DNS-323.

You can read about mailx's features from its website: http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/mailx.html.  It does a lot more than just send email, though that's all I use it for.  It uses environment variables to specify SMTP options.  Here's how I usually invoke it:

Code:

cat emailtext | env smtp=smtp.myisp.com env from=me@mydomain.com mailx recipient@anotherdomain.com

The binary was compiled from v12.3 of the source, with default options (i.e. mailrc is /etc/nail.rc, it looks for a sendmail binary ... somewhere that doesn't exist on the DNS-323--so by default it needs an SMTP server).

Enjoy!

(Edited to re-upload mailx.tar.gz, since the forum apparently lost the file.)

Last edited by toxite (2007-12-17 16:27:43)

Attachments:
Attachment Icon mailx.tar.gz, Size: 166,158 bytes, Downloads: 336

#2 2007-11-28 20:43:42

blbrown
Website

Re: heirloom mailx (nail) for the DNS-323

Cool!  This should prove useful, though I did tweak my telnet script so it ran very reliably...  smile  I guess I'll have to change it to use this instead.  Thanks for compiling this.

#3 2007-11-28 20:50:21

blbrown
Website

Oh, I forgot to ask--one reason I'm particularly interested in your compiled binary is being able to SMTP with authentication beyond simply the normal username/password, such as that used by Gmail SMTP (SSL I think, or is it called SMTPS?).  Have you done this (used Gmail SMTP from DNS-323), or do you have any tips for doing this with your compiled mailx?  Would I need OpenSSL compiled for the DNS-323 in order to do this?  If so, would you be willing to compile it (or fonz, would you)?

Last edited by blbrown (2007-11-28 20:51:18)

#4 2007-11-28 22:59:10

toxite

I avoid gmail like the plague, so I don't know anything about their SMTP service.

Now, I haven't tried to use heirloom mailx with TLS/SSL before, but its website says it can be done (and it looks pretty easy) when compiled with OpenSSL or Mozilla NSS.  My provided binary is compiled with neither, so no encrypted protocols are supported.

I'm not too up on my SSL libraries, but my experience with OpenSSL is that it's a beast--and might not perform too well on the 323 with such a slow processor and small amount of RAM (this is just a guess, though).  I have no idea about NSS--anybody know whether it would perform any better?  Other than just performance, there's no reason that I know of it can't be done.  It'd be awesome to have some real SSL libraries on the 323.

Speaking of which, has anybody looked into axTLS or MatrixSSL?  I don't know much about them, but at first glance they appear to be better solutions for the 323.  'Course, back to the subject at hand, I have no idea how much work it'd be to port heirloom mailx to use one of these other libraries, but probably a significant amount.

#5 2008-03-04 21:10:17

jotka

toxite wrote:

I avoid gmail like the plague

any reason why ?

Board footer