DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-01-05 13:54:47

tinux

Conceptronic CH3SNAS fan varies in speed every second

Hi,

I have this CH3SNAS from which the fan contuous varies in speed.
Besides it is anoying, I wonder if this will reduce the lifecycle of the fan itself ?

I have tried to set the fan to a fixed speed with the fanspeed command, but it seems to ignore the value.

Anybody knows why it behaves likes this and what can do about it ?

thanks

Martijn

#2 2008-01-05 15:26:29

i2Paq

Re: Conceptronic CH3SNAS fan varies in speed every second

What firmware do you have?

#3 2008-01-05 15:57:47

tinux

Firmware = 1.02
Conceptronic has a beta of 1.03, but I'm not so fond of beta firmware

btw: The fan speed variation is linear, so it rises and falls in speed like once in a second.

Last edited by tinux (2008-01-05 16:05:54)

#4 2008-01-06 13:34:43

i2Paq

tinux wrote:

Firmware = 1.02
Conceptronic has a beta of 1.03, but I'm not so fond of beta firmware

I agree and I even have a 1.03beta5 with other problems (right disk not spinning down).
But hey, if no-one tests......

btw: The fan speed variation is linear, so it rises and falls in speed like once in a second.

Maybe you could check here where someone who's in R&D at Conceptronic also sharing info and helping to get the next beta stable.

#5 2008-08-01 17:35:54

eT

Hoi Martijn, hi all!

I go myself the CH3SNAS two days ago, installed two 1 TB Seagates, and have the same problem as the original poster.

I updated the (delivered) FirmWare 1.02 to the actual stable one FW 1.03 today but no change at all:

as long as the harddisks are idle / spinned down the fan speed and its noise continu to rise and fall in this sinus curve shape like manner.

Do all the owners observe this phenomen?

Did someone solve the problem by now?

Thanks for your attention and help,
eT

tinux wrote:

Hi,

I have this CH3SNAS from which the fan contuous varies in speed.
Besides it is anoying, I wonder if this will reduce the lifecycle of the fan itself ?

I have tried to set the fan to a fixed speed with the fanspeed command, but it seems to ignore the value.

Anybody knows why it behaves likes this and what can do about it ?

Martijn

#6 2008-08-02 08:42:06

EnricoM

I don't experience the 1 second variation in fan speed on my CH3SNAS. I suggest to upgrade to 1.03 firmware from the conceptronic website.

There is a stable 1.03 firmware: HTTP://download.conceptronic.net/GRABNG … _v1.03.zip
Release Note of Other CH3SNAS_FW_UPD_v1.03.zip
=====================================
File        : CH3SNAS_FW_UPD_v1.03.zip
File length : 6.83 MB
version     : 1.03
date        : 01-04-2008

If you would like to try the latest 1.04 firmware (release candidate): HTTP://download.conceptronic.net/GRABNG … .04RC5.zip
Release Note of Other CH3SNAS_FW_UPD_v1.04RC5.zip
=====================================
File        : CH3SNAS_FW_UPD_v1.04RC5.zip
File length : 6.91 MB
version     : 1.04RC5
date        : 01-08-2005

Hardware: Conceptronic CH3SNAS, FW1.03 - 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 750 MB, no RAID  - Imation Whizz 4GB USB Flash Drive
Software:  Fun_plug 0.5 beta, SSH, Samba recycle bin, Firefly, hellanzb, nzbget, cleanboot, chrooted etch, optware, midnight commander, rsnapshot

#7 2008-08-02 12:11:30

eT

Hola EnricoM,

thanks for your reply.

I updated to FW 1.03 yesterday - but (initially) no change in behaviour.

Strangly enought: after I accidently pulled the plug of the server (however that happend, luckily it's still the test-setup on my table, no real data on it) and reconnected electricity this behaviour ended. No idea why.
Perhaps because general air temperature is lower now, therefore the server-status temperature is 'only' 104 Fahrenheit / 40 Celsius now. It was 3-4 Celsius higher during the last days (well: you're down here in the Netherlands, you know about the heat we had)

So hopefully it will not start again. Whyever it stopped.

Thx,
eT

#8 2008-08-08 18:00:37

tinux

Hi eT,

The constant fan speed variant was eventually solved by placing the unit somewhere else in the room, as it was eventually necessary for a Gigabit connection.

I suspect the the fan fluctuation was due to fluctuations in the AC power since it was connected to the same power socket as a Fax machine and a HUGE HP Color Laser.
The unit was also physically placed in between those two devices, so it could also be a EMF distortion.

So check the placement of your unit: is it near a big EMF radiating device and try to provide a clean power connection.

Regards,

Martijn

#9 2008-08-08 19:46:59

eT

Hi tinux,

thanks for your reply and comment.

I have been very busy the last days therefore my apologies for not updating earlier myself.

What happend with my unit: after I accidently deconnected the power cord once and the reboot afterwards the units behaviour stopped. =;-o
But also the sourrounding temperature has become lower these days: now the unit reports an inside temperature of 40-41 degrees celsius whereas it was 43 degrees celsius while behaving strange. maybe the fan just cooled under the threshold limit, then it rewarmed, then it reincreased the fan, then it cooled again ... etc.

allthough something just comes to my mind (as I know this phenomen with HiFi equippement): perhaps the fluctuations where power-net-frequency synchron?

Board footer