DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-01-07 11:39:20

corky

Need help here with my dnd-323 !!

Ok first of all i have owned a buffalo nas drive for over a year now, on it i set up network shared folders like films, music, pictures etc, then set up 3 sets of username and password and assigned these 3 users to all these shares.
So in xp or vista i can log in on any pc using one of these username / passwords and i'm in.

Now i have just got this dns-323, updated the firmware to 1.03 started setting it up and to my horror found i could not log in, this is using vista, and then using xp when you log in the username is greyed out with guest ?

All i want to do is the same as my buffalo drive, set up some shared folders and 3 users to access these shares, but it seems inpossible to do ?

My 3 pc's at home just boot up straight into the windows desktop, i don't actually log in with a username and password. On the buffalo i can set up any username and password for a user and it always works.

What am i doing wrong, help ????

#2 2008-01-07 12:17:09

bgoedel

Re: Need help here with my dnd-323 !!

For XP it should work like this: In the Windows File Explorer you can "map a network drive" (menu item under "Options"). In the dialog box that opens up asking you which UNC path (\\192.168.xxx.xxx\Volume_1) you would like to map to which drive letter (e.g., P:), you have some kind of a hyperlink to map the drive using a "different user name". (192.168.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your DNS-323.)

When clicking this hyperlink another dialog box opens up asking you to enter the user credentials with which to map the drive. Enter 192.168.xxx.xxx\<user> (no leading backslashes here!) as user name and the password you've assign to this user when setting up the DNS-323 users.

My translations of the menu items and dialog elements might not be entirely correct as I'm using the German version of XP.

Bernhard

Last edited by bgoedel (2008-01-07 12:17:42)

#3 2008-01-07 12:49:01

corky

ok thanks for the reply anyway.

The strange thing for me is it is not very obvious how to create the shared folders, when your in the config page and add a user there is the option to browse and there is only volume_1, so are you meant to type one in there or actually create one in volume_1 in windows ? only on my exisiting nas drive the shares are set up in the nas config and then they appear in windows network.

Does this dns-323 only work properly via drive mapping then ?

All i want to do is in volume_1 set up shared folders for films, music and pictures and then set up 3 users to access these 3 shared folders with various permissions.

Can the users i create be any username and password (i do hope so) regardless of the pc's, or have the users got to match the users of the pc's (i hope not) ?

Thanks in advance....

#4 2008-01-07 15:55:05

bgoedel

As far as I remember, after purchasing the DNS-323 all users (i.e. anonymous) had access to the root directory, aka Volume_1. Thus, you can simply map it and create subdirectories. After doing so, you can remove this anonymous permission. Then, you create users (and groups if needed) and give them permissions to the subdirectories you've created as you like.

Of course, as long as there are no subdirectories under Volume_1 you won't see any browsing in the config page.

I can access my NAS also using the UNC path, i.e. I don't need to map it onto a drive letter. However, I didn't encounter the problem you described above, namely that the user name field is grayed out disabling you to enter a different user name than "guest".

The users configured for the NAS are independent from the ones configured in Windows. When being asked for an user name you have to give the authorization entity additionally to the user name. That is what I've told you in my last posting: 192.168.xxx.xxx\<username> In that case the entity with the IP address 192.168.xxx.xxx will be asked to authorize the user rather than your local Windows.

Bernhard

#5 2008-01-07 16:09:11

corky

ok many thanks for the info, i will have further plays later on, cheers..

#6 2008-01-07 20:24:22

corky

well i've done some reading on here earlier and i know i can set up a share and map it to a drive letter (in xp at the moment).

But what is driving me up the wall is how to set up many users for the same share ?

When i try and do this the share name goes to share1 share2 etc per user !

How do i set up many users for one shared folder ?

i'm pulling my hair out here sad

#7 2008-01-07 23:19:13

bgoedel

You're right, I don't know for what reason they did it like this.

But there is a solution for your problem:
Simply put all users that should have access to the directory into a group and give the access rights for the directory to the group.

Bernhard

#8 2008-01-08 00:12:56

corky

thanks for that, but it's not quite solved yet, because doing that all the users have the same permissions because the group is set up.

I need two users set to read only, and myself read/write for 3 folders, films music and pictures.

thanks again..

#9 2008-01-08 00:55:08

bgoedel

Sorry, I don't know a solution for this using the web interface of the DNS.

Probably there is one if you're fun_plug'ing your device and telnet'ing into it and use the shell to add users, groups and configure the folder permissions for different groups.

But at this point I need to ask you to search the Internet to learn how to achieve this because I don't have a clue myself at the moment and couldn't do anything else but searching the Internet...

Bernhard

#10 2008-01-08 02:09:06

bgoedel

I tried a little bit to find out how the native Samba service is configured on the DNS-323 (1.04b58) but I think I have bad news:

Although there is a samba configuration file /etc/samba/smb.conf where the shares and access privileges are defined, I was unable to make a configuration satisfying your needs. Reason is that there is a section for each share you've defined and the access privileges are defined the same for all users of this share.
Example:

Code:

[ data ]
comment =
path = /mnt/HD_a2/data
valid users = christine bernhard
read only = no
guest ok = no
oplocks =  yes
map archive = yes

As you can see, the share is called "data" and points to /mnt/HD_a2/data. The users "christine" and "bernhard" have access to the share. As the flag "read only" is set to "no" both users are allowed to write to the share.

I tried to duplicate this subsection of the file to additionally give the user "peter" read-only access only. The name of the share should be the same, thus I named the section [ data ] again.

Code:

[ data ]
comment =
path = /mnt/HD_a2/data
valid users = peter
read only = yes
guest ok = no
oplocks =  yes
map archive = yes

After restarting the Samba daemon with "/usr/bin/smb restart" the former two users "christine" and "bernhard" didn't have access anymore.

I think, the reason for this is that it is illegal to have two subsections with the same name in this configuration file. That seems also to be the reason why the web form names the share for "peter" data-1.

I think you have the following options to fulfill your needs:
* Introduce two names for the same directory, e.g. "mp3_r" and "mp3_rw"
* Try whether http://dns323.kood.org/howto:bettersamba helps you solving the problem
* Install your own Samba server in a chroot'ed debian using a better Samba software replacing the native one

Bernhard

#11 2008-01-08 11:12:25

corky

ok bgoedel, thanks for the reply and having a play anyway. I am on 1.04 myself at the moment, so will do some more reading and playing, and might try this fun plug as well, see if that helps.

Or just change my setup to suit the dns-323

Cheers anyway..

Board footer