DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-01-14 19:43:06

amunoz_tico

How create playlist for TwonkyMedia and other questions

Hi Everyone.. Happy new year!!

I bought a DNS-323 and I already installed TwonkyMedia.  I use a PlayStation 3 to gain access to the media server. 

I'm a new user for TwonkyMedia and DNS-323, so I would like to get your help in order to answer the following questions:

- how create playlist for TwonkyMedia
- what "rebuild" the database means?
- If I add new media, I should ejecute a "rescan" or it is automatic?
- Do I install Debian on the DNS-323 will be useful?

I hope you could help me!

Regards!

Last edited by amunoz_tico (2008-01-14 23:04:03)

#2 2008-01-15 03:49:13

fickle

Re: How create playlist for TwonkyMedia and other questions

amunoz_tico wrote:

Hi Everyone.. Happy new year!!

I bought a DNS-323 and I already installed TwonkyMedia.  I use a PlayStation 3 to gain access to the media server. 

I'm a new user for TwonkyMedia and DNS-323, so I would like to get your help in order to answer the following questions:

- how create playlist for TwonkyMedia
- what "rebuild" the database means?
- If I add new media, I should ejecute a "rescan" or it is automatic?
- Do I install Debian on the DNS-323 will be useful?

I hope you could help me!

Regards!

- how create playlist for TwonkyMedia - dont know, dont use it ... YET
- what "rebuild" the database means? - rescans your media and colates that information to a db. this db is what gets queried and populates your song titles ect
- If I add new media, I should ejecute a "rescan" or it is automatic? - this is normally automatic (depending on refresh rate you put in.. ) however, you can do it manually (eg, rebuild db)
- Do I install Debian on the DNS-323 will be useful? - only if you want to do other functions OTHER than media streaming

HTH

#3 2008-01-16 15:36:16

HaydnH

"If I add new media, I should ejecute a "rescan" or it is automatic?"

There's a rescan setting on the Twonky settings page, a value of "-1" is only add new files when they are found, "0" is only rescan when I tell the server to and any positive number is rebuild the whole database every N minutes. I would recommend a setting of "-1", 0 is annoying unless your media hardly ever changes and rebuilding is pretty noisy unless you have very quiet disks. I think it's on the basic settings page of the web setup but can't remember 100%.

#4 2008-01-16 17:06:28

amunoz_tico

HaydnH wrote:

There's a rescan setting on the Twonky settings page, a value of "-1" is only add new files when they are found, "0" is only rescan when I tell the server to and any positive number is rebuild the whole database every N minutes. I would recommend a setting of "-1", 0 is annoying unless your media hardly ever changes and rebuilding is pretty noisy unless you have very quiet disks. I think it's on the basic settings page of the web setup but can't remember 100%.

HaydnH,  thanks.    I will try that option at night.

By the way, do you (or anyone) know how make playlists and where they should be placed?   The support page from TwonkyMedia is a little hard for me (i'm not  an expert!)

Regards!

#5 2008-01-16 21:28:42

Zen Seeker

I'm doing the same thing at the moment. I found "-1" doesn't take when I reboot the server, required after a change, but this is probably a file permission issue.

A rescan isn't that big a deal. It does do the entire data base but even with 700GB of movies and songs it's finished before I can get back to the living room to watch the movie.

If I copy new media over I tell it to scan right then. Otherwise it "should" show up in the deafdult "60" minutes to auto rescan. (Hmm...wonder if I open teh config file and change the default to -1 there and save if it would work properly?

Still looking forward to your compile when it supports 360 in the future. Until then Twonky's all we have.

L8r

HaydnH wrote:

#6 2008-01-17 12:33:10

HaydnH

Re: Playlists - Twonky supports WPL, PLS & M3U playlists, so searching google for software to create those playlist types should return something. I think I read on the Twonky forum that people have been having problems if they're not in the root of the mp3 media folder listed in Twonky although I could be wrong - try searching the Twonky Forum for playlist if you have problems getting it to find them.

Zen, I agree that rescanning when copying stuff over is quite easy - I'll have access to request a rescan when I copy new media to the box anyway. I find the N minute rescan annoying as my HDDs make loads of noise when a rescan happens and it really gets on my nerves if I'm listening to relaxing music and suddenly get clunking going on! I haven't checked if the -1 persists over reboot with my setup... I'll check when I get a chance!

A word of warning - If you're going to edit the config file, stop the server first and start it again after editing - you should never edit config files while a server is running unless that server specifically allows it.

#7 2008-01-17 17:32:55

Zen Seeker

Good, point. I'm used to stopping things with Webmin and then editing. Latelt I copy from telnet to a local temp drive, open in Notepad++ through windows on the temp share, update and save, then copy back. I then restart from the command line or reboot from command line...lazy.

#8 2008-09-18 18:02:06

johneboy

Hi,

Did anyone ever have any joy with getting the "-1" setting to stick under the content directory rescan options?

I've just set myself up with a DNS-323 running Twonkymedia 4.4.5 and am having exactly the same issue. Anyone found a fix?

#9 2008-09-20 23:37:58

sjmac

I only played with the -1 option briefly (Twonky 4.4.6) and I didn't think it worked. Wouldn't it need special kernel support to get notified of changes on the disk?

I use option 0, and hit the "rebuild" button after I'm finished making changes. Most of the time the files aren't changing so I don't want the disks spinning up for rescans ...

Board footer