DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-01-16 23:49:22

LifeTap

disk power save option

I have another interesting issue. 

This is the second time I have noticed this with the dns-323.  I have the disk spindown set for 5 minutes.  Has been working fine.  Will stay off until I try to access a shared drive.  Last night I was moving stuff around so I powered off the unit.

This morning I see the same problem as about a week ago.  Between 8-9 minutes the hard drives spin down, one minute later they spin back up.  This cycle continuously happens, even whith the network cable to the unit unplugged.

I thought I remembered what I did last time and that was to reset to factory defaults.  That didn't work, so I re-flashed.  No go, so I reset again.  This time I'm not going to configure the device, just let it sit there.  Maybe turning off the itunes server or something doesn't like me.  Maybe this device just needs an RMA.

Last edited by LifeTap (2007-01-17 00:35:58)

#2 2007-01-17 03:48:54

LifeTap

Re: disk power save option

Well I don't know.  Re-formatted the array and now it poweres the drives down.  Odd

#3 2007-01-17 09:07:43

EndUser

I had this happen on my very new DNS-323.  It ONLY started to happen after I applied the fun_plug! I subsequently disabled my fun_plug (by renaming the fun_plug file and rebooting), and it STILL happened! Did the fun_plug script install/setup somthing more permenant that is periodic activity that causes the wake-up?

#4 2007-01-19 20:58:22

EndUser

Has anyone successfully made ths problem go away yet?  I dont like leaving my DNS-323 on all the time now, the discs are constantly spinning up and down! help!

#5 2007-01-20 12:47:05

skydreamer

Something is accessing your disks at regular intervals.
Disconnect DNS-323 from the network and see if the problem goes away. Also shut down the iTunes server.

#6 2007-01-22 02:06:35

EndUser

Nope! i Disconnected the ethernet and the disks still stay spinning -- then after the timout the spin down and right back up again.  No servers running.  Is it possible that after I applied the fun_plug it made some persistent chnanges that would cause this behavior?

#7 2007-01-22 08:22:12

Apskaft

EndUser wrote:

Nope! i Disconnected the ethernet and the disks still stay spinning -- then after the timout the spin down and right back up again.  No servers running.  Is it possible that after I applied the fun_plug it made some persistent chnanges that would cause this behavior?

The fun_plugs I've seen here doesn't install anything. The KRH variant performs the following:

#1 - Dumps the kernel ring buffer (i.e. Shows what happens during boot)
#2 - Starts NC, listens to port 10000 and at connection executes sh and sends input/output through 10000
#3 - Starts the telnet deamon
#4 - Includes HD_a2 to path

The only thing that could cause a spin-up from by the fun_plug is some program regulary accessing a non-present software and examines the path. Comment out the export PATH line (you can also comment out the 'nc' line).

What would be interresting to see is your current running processes, your at-queue and your crontab.

That is:
#ps
#atq
#cat /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

/Apan

#8 2007-01-22 09:55:25

frodo

Apskaft wrote:

EndUser wrote:

The fun_plugs I've seen here doesn't install anything. The KRH variant performs the following:

#1 - Dumps the kernel ring buffer (i.e. Shows what happens during boot)
#2 - Starts NC, listens to port 10000 and at connection executes sh and sends input/output through 10000
#3 - Starts the telnet deamon
#4 - Includes HD_a2 to path

The only thing that could cause a spin-up from by the fun_plug is some program regulary accessing a non-present software and examines the path. Comment out the export PATH line (you can also comment out the 'nc' line).

What would be interresting to see is your current running processes, your at-queue and your crontab.

That is:
#ps
#atq
#cat /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

/Apan

If the telnet daemon is leaking memory it could cause swapping...

#9 2007-01-22 10:16:23

Apskaft

frodo wrote:

Unfortunately this doesn't explain why it keeps spinning up after the fun_plug has been removed (+reboot), which is the case according to a post above. That is, I don't think that the fun_plug causing this.

One candidate is the lp-deamon (printer deamon) which uses HD_a2/.lp directory for spooling. If there is unfinished business here, I would assumed the lpd is trying to access this disk. Another candidate is the .system which is also located on HD_a2. I don't have a clue what this file is used for, but it might be some deamon using it for something on a regular basis causing the spin-up.

FFS/Apan

#10 2007-01-22 17:26:27

skydreamer

Try to unmount the disks, if there is anything open on them, the unmount command will fail.
If it goes through fine then most likely dmesg will show after a while complaints from some program that tried to access the disks.

#11 2007-01-22 18:28:43

EndUser

Apskaft wrote:

frodo wrote:

Unfortunately this doesn't explain why it keeps spinning up after the fun_plug has been removed (+reboot), which is the case according to a post above. That is, I don't think that the fun_plug causing this.

One candidate is the lp-deamon (printer deamon) which uses HD_a2/.lp directory for spooling. If there is unfinished business here, I would assumed the lpd is trying to access this disk. Another candidate is the .system which is also located on HD_a2. I don't have a clue what this file is used for, but it might be some deamon using it for something on a regular basis causing the spin-up.

FFS/Apan

Right, I renamed my fun_plug file, and rebooted --- so unless there was a persistent change, the telnted etc was not running. 

Hmm.. I like the eprinter theory, I did have a printer on it... before... but now its not, but I might have tried printing to it with the printer disconnected!   How do I clear the spool?

#12 2007-01-22 18:44:42

EndUser

I deleted all the files in ".lpr" a (for better or worse I dont know), and I think it helped... but crap, they just spun up again...doh... not sure what caused that. I'll have to do some more experiments.

Last edited by EndUser (2007-01-22 18:46:24)

#13 2007-01-23 06:51:32

EndUser

yup, I confirm deleting files in the .lpr folder did the trick. disk power save mode works again! thanks!!!

Now, my web admin page for the itunes server is corrupted! If I select that tab in the interface, the UI crashes.  A reset is needed.  Ideas on THAT? wink

#14 2007-01-23 08:14:12

LifeTap

Thats interesting as I've always had a printer connected and functioning.

I have files in my .lpd dir now and I have no issues at this time.  Thou as I write this it just powered up for the first time tonight...... 

I also had the corrupt itunes page, it didn't crash the UI, there just wasn't anything shown on that page.  I don't know if there is a better way to fix it, but I re-flashed the dns-323 and that brought the page back.

#15 2007-01-23 08:38:49

Apskaft

LifeTap wrote:

Thats interesting as I've always had a printer connected and functioning.

I have files in my .lpd dir now and I have no issues at this time.  Thou as I write this it just powered up for the first time tonight......

The key to the issue is:

EndUser wrote:

I might have tried printing to it with the printer disconnected

I.e. If you print to a printer that is connected to the DNS and the print fails there will be print-jobs in your print-queue. These jobs are stored in /HD_a2/.lpq and as the deamon will continue trying to get the job done, it'll access HD_a2 on a regular basis causing it to spin-up.

It should be possible to probe the print-queue using the command lpq and removing the jobs using lprm. Or, the brute-force way by just rm -rf ./.lpq

edit: Note that lpq and lprm are not in path so you have to issue:

/sys/crfs/LPRng/lpq
/sys/crfs/LPRng/lprm

..or add LPRng direcory to the path through your fun_plug

Last edited by Apskaft (2007-01-24 08:51:36)

Board footer