DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-01-17 02:55:21

Slush puppie

DNS-323 problems

FW 1.01b29

1. I'm having problem with my disks constantly spinning up. No, there's no network activity, dns unplugged. Anyone but me having this problem?
2. I've found out that certain characters in filenames are a problem to the Itunes server. I can put back my music library song by song to find out what characters will make the Itunes server crash, but that's a very tedious task. Anyone who has a list of "illegal" characters?
3. The DNS-323 stops responding after a couple of days (or sooner if you play around with the configuration). The power button stops working, the reset button stops working and most of the time the web interface also stops working along with the samba share.

As I'm posting here, you probably understand that the D-Link support (Sweden) was of no help - as usual.

Regards,

Johan

#2 2007-01-17 03:53:23

LifeTap

Re: DNS-323 problems

I just posted an issue I had where the drives would enter power save and spin down after about 7-8 minutes, then about a minute later spin back up.  This would happen if the dns-323 was attached to the network or not. 

Not sure if thats similar to your issue, but I figed it by re-formatting the drives.  Going to see i fI can brak it again and figure out what caused it on mine.  Second time that has happened. 

For your other two issues I haven't played with the itunes server yet, trying to get it stable as just a raid 1 file store.  and I don't think I've had mine up for more then 3-4 days without mucking around with it so I can't comment on it locking up.  I have read some other posts here and elsewhere that talk about lockups with the ext3 filesystem, might look into that if you are running ext3.

#3 2007-01-17 09:09:58

Apskaft

Slush puppie wrote:

2. I've found out that certain characters in filenames are a problem to the Itunes server. I can put back my music library song by song to find out what characters will make the Itunes server crash, but that's a very tedious task. Anyone who has a list of "illegal" characters?
3. The DNS-323 stops responding after a couple of days (or sooner if you play around with the configuration). The power button stops working, the reset button stops working and most of the time the web interface also stops working along with the samba share.

For #2, I'd guess you have problems with åäöÅÄÖ. You can use Mp3Tag's function Filename->Filename with the $replace() script-function (nested) to rename your files. Make sure you have your tags properly set-up before doing this.....

e.g. $replace($replace($replace(%1-%2, å, a), ä, a), ö, o)

Please note that your old playlists will no longer work since you've renamed the files.....

For #3, see if it gets better by disabling Daylight Savings. For more info, see this post.

HTH/

#4 2007-01-18 23:24:04

Slush puppie

Wow, fast replies here, thanks.

For #3, I'll get back in a week or so with a report.

For #2, it's actually not the swedish characters that are a problem, seems like it's characters like ò and similar. A workaround I heard of was to let itunes on windows reorganize/rename the music library and then move it to the d-link. I'm not sure if that would help but I will give it a try.

For # 1, yeah when I get some time left over I will reformat the drives although I think it sounds like a strange solution, to me it sounds like a desperate d-link support quote.

Board footer