DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-01-28 01:38:03

braniop

File sharing problems

We use our DNS-323 mostly to share files at our workgroup (10 users) - mostly MS Word documents - reports done for our clients (average 5 new addition per user per day).

Once we introduced personalized login file share violations occurred - for example 1 directory is shared for 2 users, but user A cannot access files created (or modified) by user B. I checked via FTP and it seems that the problem is caused by file attributes 7-0-0 so only owner can access the file (originally file was 7-7-7). I was unable to change the attributes even when logged as a owner of that file.

It is very important to me as a boss to have access to all files created by my group. The problem with created files remains even when all accounts r/w permission is granted.

Anyone know how to solve this issue??

#2 2008-01-28 01:58:19

jayas

Re: File sharing problems

braniop wrote:

for example 1 directory is shared for 2 users, but user A cannot access files created (or modified) by user B. I checked via FTP and it seems that the problem is caused by file attributes 7-0-0 so only owner can access the file (originally file was 7-7-7). I was unable to change the attributes even when logged as a owner of that file.

Looks like a umask problem.  What happens when the user drops files using network share?  What version of firmware are you using?

It is very important to me as a boss to have access to all files created by my group. The problem with created files remains even when all accounts r/w permission is granted.

Once permissions are set for a file, the are not changed when you change the profile as it only works for any new file created.

Regards,

Jaya

H/W=B1 F/W=1.04; RAID1: SAMSUNG HD501LJ T166 (500GB, SATA 3.0Gb/s 16MB)

#3 2008-01-28 13:26:45

braniop

Firmware 1.03, 2xWD 3200YS 320GB, RAID1

jayas wrote:

Looks like a umask problem.  What happens when the user drops files using network share?  What version of firmware are you using?

When the file is created on local and copied to DNS seems to work OK, but once the file is edited on DNS file attributes change - any ideas how to override this feature?

Also another problem occurred - it seems that DNS remember some file attributes created in the past by different users stored locally on my PC (XP Pro) - after I put it on DNS files and directories became unaccessible (I can see attributes via FPT as 7-7-0, no right to change it)

Any idea?

#4 2008-04-12 00:52:12

torque

Hi braniop did you manage to resolve your permissions problem?

#5 2008-05-24 01:23:06

HamDee

I have the same problem.  Running DNS323 with v1.03 FW.  All network users can share files fine, but FTP users can only access files they have copied up or have been copied to the DNS, not created there.  It only happens with MSOffice documents.  No problems with PDFs, plain txt (such as in notepad or textedit by Mac).  Mixed user group of XP and Macs.  The Mac users do not seem to have the same problems.  Windows Explorer shows the file properties as NAS/Nobody as full control.  Another user listed is "501" and then the everyone group.  Everyone only has read access.  But the parent folder shows everyone with full access.  Users in the NAS GUI have Read/Write permissions on the volume.  Any ideas???

Board footer