DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#51 2008-02-08 22:47:49

ct1000

Re: DNS323 Firmware Rev 1.04 now on ftp.dlink.com

Well, i have sure read about it. Thi issue? The disks isn´t spinning down. And if they do, they pretty soon sin up again. Very annoying.

I Have solved another one. The map failiure thing was solved by dedicating the unit to a specific ip in the router. Cool.

#52 2008-02-08 23:51:29

burdellgp

fordem wrote:

burdellgp wrote:

It isn't a defrag.  In general, the Linux ext2 filesystem doesn't need defragment (I don't think there is a current defrag program available even).

http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2.html

You should look before you link - there is no actual defrag program there.

#53 2008-02-09 00:08:57

fordem

ct1000 wrote:

Well, i have sure read about it. Thi issue? The disks isn´t spinning down. And if they do, they pretty soon sin up again. Very annoying.

I Have solved another one. The map failiure thing was solved by dedicating the unit to a specific ip in the router. Cool.

OK - I'm going to go out on a limb here and say - there is no spin down issue when in RAID - whatever is causing your disks to either not spin down or to spin down and backup has nothing to do with RAID.  There is some other cause that you have yet to identify - and the map failure thing - well that's not unusual at all, and has nothing to do with the DNS-323 - those of us who work with servers know better than to use them with dynamic addresses - please be aware that "dedicating the unit to a specific ip in the router" or as it is correctly called  "a DHCP reservation" is only slightly better than leaving it to lease a random address, a true static address would be your best bet.

burdellgp - I did read and I did notice that there was no link - BUT - that's open source for you - a patch here, a patch there and maintaing the documentation is an afterthought - I am never sure if the documentation is correct and the link missing or the documentation is wrong and the program missing?

If you're going to get hung up about a broken link - have a few more

http://linux.maruhn.com/sec/defrag.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/filesystems/

Last edited by fordem (2008-02-09 00:25:50)

#54 2008-02-09 01:47:48

jayas

ct1000 wrote:

The disks isn´t spinning down. And if they do, they pretty soon sin up again. Very annoying.

I have noticed that even though I installed telnet fun_plug in ramdisk, as soon as I telnet to the box, one disk of raid1 mirror spins up.  I suspect this is what happens when you have swap partitions on the disk.

I am wondering if DNS-323 will deliver its services without a swap partition.

Jaya

H/W=B1 F/W=1.04; RAID1: SAMSUNG HD501LJ T166 (500GB, SATA 3.0Gb/s 16MB)

#55 2008-02-09 04:29:14

Sheff

I'm still getting DLNA error when I try to connect from my PS3.  I'm using the firmware from the Dlink website.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there supposed to be some kind of index file that the PS3 will recognize?

#56 2008-02-10 18:39:01

mihar

Sheff wrote:

I'm still getting DLNA error when I try to connect from my PS3.  I'm using the firmware from the Dlink website.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there supposed to be some kind of index file that the PS3 will recognize?

I faced the same problem as you did and managed to solve it so here's a guide to see if it fixes the problem for you...

First of all, what firmware of the ps3 and dns 323 are you using?

i'm using firmware 2.10 on the ps3 and 1.04 b84 on the dns 323...

Are you using a wireless connection to stream the data to the ps3?

If you are, don't... Streaming data wirelessly to the PS3 is not particularly stable... The ps3 has, i would say, basic network settings which you can't tweak much... Use a wired connection as it is more stable... BTW, the ps3 is equipped with a gigabit port so if you connect it to a gigabit switch/router with your DNS 323, you can get full 2gb duplex throughput (theorethically anyway) which is way faster than the crappy wireless G at 54mbps...

If you are using a wired connection, check your cables for any faults... For best results, use cat5e or cat6 cables...

If your PS3 and DNS 323 is connected to a router, check to see if the required ports are open for the ps3... Here's a link to check the required ports and error codes definition for the ps3... http://www.twobrothersandasister.com/?p=1440...

Try the above and see if it fixes the problem... If it doesn't, check what the error code displayed is and i'll see if i have a workaround for it...

BTW, i suggest you open a new topic or reply to an older topic (i remember a thread about the DNS and PS3 compatibility previously - Do a search for it) since your question is not relevant to the current thread...

Last edited by mihar (2008-02-10 18:41:21)

#57 2008-04-03 17:59:26

zelium

mihar wrote:

Sheff wrote:

I faced the same problem as you did and managed to solve it so here's a guide to see if it fixes the problem for you...

First of all, what firmware of the ps3 and dns 323 are you using?

i'm using firmware 2.10 on the ps3 and 1.04 b84 on the dns 323...

Are you using a wireless connection to stream the data to the ps3?

If you are, don't... Streaming data wirelessly to the PS3 is not particularly stable... The ps3 has, i would say, basic network settings which you can't tweak much... Use a wired connection as it is more stable... BTW, the ps3 is equipped with a gigabit port so if you connect it to a gigabit switch/router with your DNS 323, you can get full 2gb duplex throughput (theorethically anyway) which is way faster than the crappy wireless G at 54mbps...

If you are using a wired connection, check your cables for any faults... For best results, use cat5e or cat6 cables...

If your PS3 and DNS 323 is connected to a router, check to see if the required ports are open for the ps3... Here's a link to check the required ports and error codes definition for the ps3... http://www.twobrothersandasister.com/?p=1440...

Try the above and see if it fixes the problem... If it doesn't, check what the error code displayed is and i'll see if i have a workaround for it...

BTW, i suggest you open a new topic or reply to an older topic (i remember a thread about the DNS and PS3 compatibility previously - Do a search for it) since your question is not relevant to the current thread...

This DLNA protocol error from Playstation 3 is killing me.  I have searched all over to resolve this issue, however, it does not work.  I have the latest firmwares for both (1.04 for DNS-323, 2.20 for Playstation 3).  My Playstation 3 sees my drive (the name appears on XMB menu), however, when I choose it, I got DLNA protocol error and nothing shows up.  My PS3 is connected wirelessly and I have no problem to connect to the Internet with the PS3.  I forward all the ports mentioned in the link above and add PS3 to DMZ. BTW, I use a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and upgrade the firmware of the router yesterday to see if it makes any difference.

My conclusion over the last few weeks of research (and doing) is that once you get DLNA error, there is no solution (there might be some lucky guys who don't have problems.  This DLNA errors are mentioned in other PS3 forums and no solution is given.

I was excited that the DNS-323 and the PS3 can get along.  Now I give up.  sad

#58 2008-04-03 18:09:27

mig

zelium, perhaps this post might shed some light on the problem
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=1150.0
The response from D-Link claims this works with PS3 fw 2.10,
perhaps PS3 fw2.20 requires some DLNA component that the
DNS-323 fw1.04 does not provide.

Last edited by mig (2008-04-03 18:09:58)

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#59 2008-04-03 19:56:42

zelium

mig,

Thanks for your info.  I really appreciate it.  I put my question there and wait for the answer.
I envy the people who don't have any problem between DNS-323 and Playstation 3.
It would be really cool if I can watch thousands of media files that I have on 323.

#60 2008-04-05 08:27:20

mihar

zelium wrote:

This DLNA protocol error from Playstation 3 is killing me.  I have searched all over to resolve this issue, however, it does not work.  I have the latest firmwares for both (1.04 for DNS-323, 2.20 for Playstation 3).  My Playstation 3 sees my drive (the name appears on XMB menu), however, when I choose it, I got DLNA protocol error and nothing shows up.  My PS3 is connected wirelessly and I have no problem to connect to the Internet with the PS3.  I forward all the ports mentioned in the link above and add PS3 to DMZ. BTW, I use a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and upgrade the firmware of the router yesterday to see if it makes any difference.

My conclusion over the last few weeks of research (and doing) is that once you get DLNA error, there is no solution (there might be some lucky guys who don't have problems.  This DLNA errors are mentioned in other PS3 forums and no solution is given.

I was excited that the DNS-323 and the PS3 can get along.  Now I give up.  sad

Don't be disheartened Zelium... We're all here to help... I'm quite puzzled why you are experiencing such problems on the PS3... I'm using firmware 1.04 on the dns 323 and my ps3 is now at 2.20... Everything works perfectly...

I understand your frustation... i kept getting the same error when my ps3 was on 1.93... Apparently that firmware wasn't very good for DLNA...But after tweaking around a bit, i got it to work and subsequently no more problems...

First of all, i must stress that it is imperative that you DO NOT use wireless connection for streaming... This was one of the main reasons why i encountered protocol errors.... You have mentioned that you connect your PS3 wirelessly... i guarantee you that this is the main culprit... Use a WIRED connection... Why? Let me explain from experience and my own understanding of networking... Wireless G has a THEORETICAL max speed of 54Mbps... That's theoretical... Meaning, it's highly unlikely you will achieve that maximum speed... This is due to many factors such as the distance, interference, etc...If you attempt to stream, say a video file, wirelessly, it is most likely that the video file is encoded with a VARIABLE BIT RATE... If the video file is being streamed slower that the PS3 is decoding/playing, you will most likely encountered DLNA protocol erros as i have...

If you use a WIRED connection, then the overhead is much higher than wireless... You'll get on average, speeds in excess of 54mbps...Which means, that the data is being streamed at a rate which is more than what is required minimally for the PS3 to play/decode...

Ok... Now that i'm past explaining the advantages of WIRED vs WIRELESS, let's try to figure out if your networking settings is the culprit... Is your PS3 on a static IP? if no, then pls set it to a static IP... If your DNS 323 on a static IP? If no, pls set it to static IP... Have you enable UPNP in the DNS 323 configuration? If not, pls enable it... Sometimes, the DNS 323 has a bug in which it stops mapping into the network... You can see it but can't access it, to reset this bug, just go to the DNS 323 configuration page, under SETUP then Device and just click on save settings...

Try all of the above and see if it fixes the problems... If not, you can email me at mihar1978 AT gmail dot com and i'll be happy to help you further...

Regards

Board footer