DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-01-19 16:37:05

Stampeed

specified network name no longer available

Whenever I do transfers, usually on the large files/long transfers, the transfer fails with the message "The specified network name is no longer available".

Anyone receive this message while doing transfers?

Does anyone feel like they have issues with the reliability of transfers?

---
My current config is a WRT54Gv5 wired to the DSM-G600, using wireless clients to transfer files over samba.

From what I have observed, while SSH'd into the box-

I can see a new smbd process is started when a client connects to the G600, but when the transfer fails with "The specified network name is no longer available", the smbd process is gone.

I'm not entirely sure if it's because smbd is crashing because it's unreliable, or if some other network error is causing the error.

Anyone have any experience with this?

-Stampy

#2 2007-01-31 23:15:32

hawkin

Re: specified network name no longer available

I have experienced issues with the stability too.
I just got my DSM-G600 hooked up with a 400Gb drive, and have vopied alot of music (mp3) and movies onto it.
Now when I try to do a scan of all the music from my xbox (XBMC) I get about the same issue as you mentioned, that the network name /device is no longer available.
The same issue has also happened sometimes from my other windows XP client, just playing some music with WMP.

I havent gotten around to set up fun_plug yet, so its hard for me to say if the smb process is dying, but I would not be suprised.
I am running FW 1.02eu. Is there anything that one can do to solve this issue?

#3 2007-02-01 15:21:40

BertrandB
Website

It's generaly a problem of quality on wifi link.
The parameters of wlan are not well sets on boot you must revalidate "by hand" to get the right ones
take a look at :
http://dns323.kood.org/forum/p1011-2007 … html#p1011

#4 2007-02-01 16:22:09

hawkin

I realized after this that I had removed the .smb.ses file in the root of my share, and this post says this might make problems: http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t63-Samba- … tools.html

But I still had issues after I fixed this. And I am not even running the wireless part of the DSM-g600 (it is hooked up with wire to a WRT54G; same as Stampeed). Ofcorse it could be a problem between the wireless clients and the router, but I have had a computer shared the same data before, without any of these issues.

#5 2007-02-01 23:29:00

Stampeed

a lot of reliable transfer issues have been fixed by me updating the firmware on my WRT54Gv5.

i still receive the error sometimes, but usually now only on extremely long transfers. It's not as frequent as before.

Board footer