DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-01-25 06:12:11

Blutox

Playlists on the UPnP Media Server

When I use the media server that comes with the DNS-323, my mp3 files will play on my DSM-320 via the wired ethernet connection.  I can browse my media files by artist and folder and they play.  The only thing that doesn't work are the playlists.  The DSM-320 shows my m3u playlist files as having no content.  If I switch media servers to the D-Link Media Server software written specifically for the DSM-320 that I have loaded on a network PC, the DSM-320 plays the mp3 files and content shows up in the m3u playlist files.  In other words, it works just fine. 

I've tried editing the playlists to use relative or absolute references.  I've tried setting different paths in the UPnP AV server.  I've even made it as simple as 10 mp3 files with a playlist in the same directory that has only one file.  The playlists work with other media servers that I have loaded on a network PC (musicmatch, Nero Media Home, and D-Link media server). 

I bought this thing specifically for the media server so I wouldn't have to keep a PC running.  D-Link e-mail tech support has been absolutely no help and very frustrating to deal with. 

Anyone got any ideas?  Thanks.

I am using FW 1.02 on the DNS-323 with a RAID 0.  The DSM-320 has the most recent firmware 1.09

Last edited by Blutox (2007-01-25 06:16:18)

#2 2007-01-25 10:13:16

frodo

Re: Playlists on the UPnP Media Server

mt-daapd which is the server the DNS-323 is running has the following config option:

Code:

# process_m3u
#
# By default m3u processing is turned off, since most m3u files
# sitting around in peoples mp3 directories have bad paths, and
# I hear about it.  :)
#
# If you are sure your m3u files have good paths (i.e. unixly pathed,
# with relative paths relative to the directory the m3u is in), then
# you can turn on m3u processing by setting this directive to 1.
#
# I'm not sure "unixly" is a word, but you get the idea.
#

# process_m3u 0

This is not set on the config provided by D-Link. If you install telnet you can modify it yourself or request from D-Link to provide this option in the GUI.

Cheers

#3 2007-01-25 15:04:19

JMG

After reading this thread i wonder if DNS-323 really supports UPNP as it is stated on D-links homepage. Does anyone know which mediaplayers DNS-323 work together with?

/JMG

#4 2007-01-25 16:47:51

bluecar

I have tried to access the mt-daapd web interface but without success.  It is supposed to be available at:  <dns-323 IP address>:3689.  Usually there is no response from that port but once in a while a logon screen does appear.  I have tried numerous combinations of credentials without success.  These include blanks, admin, mt-daapd, etc for both the username and the password.

Anybody have any success with this?

bluecar

#5 2007-01-25 17:39:48

Apskaft

JMG wrote:

After reading this thread i wonder if DNS-323 really supports UPNP as it is stated on D-links homepage. Does anyone know which mediaplayers DNS-323 work together with?

/JMG

I don't think mt-daap is the UPNP sever in this unit. Instead, I think it's D-Link proprietry software as there is no relevant open source software in the GPL directory of this unit.

ps before starting iTunes server:
1061 root         60 S   /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/utelnetd -l /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/sh
25799 root        492 S   /sys/custom/upnp/upnp 0 D-Link Corporation http://www
30804 root       1184 S   smbd -D

and ps after:
25799 root        492 S   /sys/custom/upnp/upnp 0 D-Link Corporation http://www
30804 root       1184 S   smbd -D
30832 root        204 S   /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/sh
30881 root        548 S   mt-daapd
30882 root        984 S   mt-daapd
30883 root        984 S   mt-daapd
30884 root        984 S   mt-daapd
30885 root        984 S   mt-daapd

As you can see, enabling ITunesServer starts mt-daap and before that the UPNP deamon is up and running. And, the tagline tells us it's most likely D-Link software.

The file /sys/custom/upnp/upnpscript reveals the following:

# # cat upnpscript

kill -9 `pidof upnp`
/sys/custom/upnp/upnp 0 "D-Link Corporation" "http://www.redsonic.com" "D-Link Network Storage Enclosure" "DNS-323" "103" &

The above mentioned gives nothing, but googling the name redsonic reveals cooperaton between D-Link and this company in UPnP related business.

/sys/custom/upnp/upnp binary contains alot but reveals nothing more than what's stated above except that Cellvision Systems Inc (www.cellvision.net) might be involved somehow.

/Apan

#6 2009-07-02 15:50:07

rsreign07

I accept approved to admission the mt-daapd web interface but after success. It is declared to be accessible at: :3689. Usually there is no acknowledgment from that anchorage but already in a while a logon awning does appear. I accept approved abundant combinations of accreditation after success. These cover blanks, admin, mt-daapd, etc for both the username and the password

#7 2013-01-09 13:20:50

Prabhu Lakshmi Ujjaini
Website

Playlists on the UPnP Media Server:

The server has an integrated file system browser in the UI, that means that anyone who has access to the UI can browse your file system (with user permissions under which the server is running) and also download your data! If you want maximum security - disable the UI completely! Account authentication offers simple protection that might hold back your kids, but it is not secure enough for use in an untrusted environment!

The Allegro Media Server streams digital music from iTunes® libraries to wired or wireless networked digital music players using the same UPnP protocols that are used by Windows Media Connect. This means that networked UPnP-based Digital Music Players such as the Philips Streamium series and the Roku SoundBridge products can see an iTunes Digital Music Library over the network and play individual songs or playlists.

The Allegro Media Server runs as a background application on Macintosh (OS-X) and Windows (XP or later) personal computers and provides a bridge between an iTunes Digital Music Library and the world of networked media players. See the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about the Allegro Media Server features.

The Allegro Media Server is fully compliant with the UPnP v1.0.1 specifications and the UPnP AV DCP 1.0 specifications. The Allegro Media Server will also interoperate with Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA)® Certified Digital Media Players such as the Sony PS3 and Digital Media Renderers such as the Marantz AV7005.

The Allegro Media Server is based on Allegro’s RomPlug UPnP/DLNA Media Server toolkit, which is the same technology used in the DLNA certified RDMS 202D. The Allegro RomPlug toolkits are among the most widely used toolkits for creating certified UPnP/DLNA products. UPnP/DLNA technology is all about making home networking simple and affordable for everyone, so the connected home experience becomes a mainstream reality. The UPnP/DLNA architecture leverages TCP/IP and Web technologies to enable seamless networking in addition to control and data transfer among networked devices in the home.

Thank you , Chris, I found this exercise highly interesting.

Board footer