DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-02-27 01:14:31

vzmr82

Network throughput intermitent + networking hanging issues

Hi all

I have been using DNS-323 for some time now. I have 2 Samsung SpinPoint T166 HD501LJ 500Gb disks installed in JBOD mode and firmware 1.03. I also have installed Twonky Media UPnP server.

I have 2 problems:

1 - Network output throughput is intermitent and much slower than input

As you can see in the attached file, when copying existent files to an USB disk attached to my Vista desktop, the DNS is continuously interrupting the file transfer. I think I used to have this problem before installing TwonkyMedia server...

2 - Network hanging

Specially a little while after starting my desktop computer (using a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 motherboard, connected to DNS-323 through a D-Link Gigabit Switch DGS-1005D), the network light on the DNS-323 starts blinking continuously and doesn't stop unless I press the start button until the unit is powered off and restarted. Most of the times when this happens the switch is not able to work at all and all network trafic is interrupted (more rarely the switch hangs and I need to power it down also). The remaining of the network is not impacted.

I tried to lookup similar issues in this forum (and others) and I couldn't find anything. Does anyone can understand what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

RS

Attachments:
Attachment Icon DNS-323 Network problem.jpg, Size: 79,843 bytes, Downloads: 143

#2 2008-02-27 03:30:25

fordem

Re: Network throughput intermitent + networking hanging issues

Why do you feel it's the DNS-323 that's continuously interrupting the file transfer and not the Vista desktop?

You haven't given us much detail to work with.

The overall speed of a file transfer is only as fast as the slowest item in the channel - you have data going from a disk in the DNS-323, through a disk interface & a network interface in the DNS-323, across a network interface, through a network interface in the PC, probably through the processor, through the USB interface, through some sort of USB to ATA/SATA converter and then to the second disk.

File size also has an impact - 500 x 4 GB files will take longer than a single 2 GB file even though the actual quantity of data is the same - for each file the head/arm assembly in the destination disk has to move from the data area to the directory area and back.

Let's look at the "network hanging"

It would appear that you could have the DNS-323 powered up and apparently idle, until you switch on a particular PC, and then some sort of network activity starts - kind of sounds like something on the PC is accessing the NAS doesn't it?

#3 2008-02-27 06:10:27

briansailing

I have the same problem.  When I transfer a large file in vista to or from the drive and under task manager the graph is not smooth. Its a set of peeks in xp its smooth.

#4 2008-02-27 06:48:45

amunoz_tico

I thing this is a problem with Windows Vista.. I don't have any issue with Windows XP Pro.

#5 2008-02-27 11:09:15

sjmac

vzmr82 wrote:

As you can see in the attached file, when copying existent files to an USB disk attached to my Vista desktop, the DNS is continuously interrupting the file transfer. I think I used to have this problem before installing TwonkyMedia server...

I get the same behaviour copying from the DNS323 to my Vista machine. I get much faster and smoother transfers writing to the DNS323.

My Windows XP laptop doesn't seem to suffer from the same problem.

I'm hoping that Vista SP 1, when it's released, will fix this problem.

#6 2008-02-27 11:25:46

vzmr82

Thanks all for the replies.

fordem wrote:

Why do you feel it's the DNS-323 that's continuously interrupting the file transfer and not the Vista desktop?

I will measure this with other OSs. On the same PC I have Win XP and MacOSX (hackintosh) installed and I will try to understand if this also happens in those OSs.

The picture presented is related to a complete copy of the disks over network. I mainly have movie files, from 700k (more) to 4Gb (less).

sjmac wrote:

I get much faster and smoother transfers writing to the DNS323.

This is also what happens to me.

fordem wrote:

It would appear that you could have the DNS-323 powered up and apparently idle, until you switch on a particular PC, and then some sort of network activity starts - kind of sounds like something on the PC is accessing the NAS doesn't it?

I also have connected to this switch a MacMini. And this I am sure it happens with any of the OSs or any the 2 machines (PC/MacMini). Some times it even happens on its own, without being acessed at all. Other times happens after I turn one of the machines off.

#7 2008-02-27 12:58:08

fordem

vzmr82 wrote:

Thanks all for the replies.

I will measure this with other OSs. On the same PC I have Win XP and MacOSX (hackintosh) installed and I will try to understand if this also happens in those OSs.

You've completely missed the point - this is not about the OS - it's about WHICH device is causing the problem - the source, the network or the destination.

#8 2008-02-27 14:28:36

vzmr82

fordem wrote:

You've completely missed the point - this is not about the OS - it's about WHICH device is causing the problem - the source, the network or the destination.

OK. I will try to measure this with other computers (MacMini for example) and try to change the switch. I will then have a more clear understanding of which device is causing this problem.

#9 2008-02-28 00:26:54

vzmr82

Update:

With MacOSX and with WinXP, with the same device (so just running a different OS in the same PC), I get a stable throughput. In WinXP I get 14% (of the available 1000 band) and in MacOSX I get 16,5Mbs.

So Vista does not keep a stable connection with DNS-323. Vista sucks!

Board footer