DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-03-03 00:04:34

ojve

SSH tunnelling of UPnP

Hi!

Just got my DNS-323 a couple days ago, and I'm thrilled with all the possibilities that have opened up that I didn't know about before buying it.

I have it installed and its working fine within my local network. But I would like to be able to access it from outside my NAT and I dont feel like shelling out $40 on Twonky. Is there any way of tunneling the UPnP ports by SSH and access it like a local network place in windows?

I've been trying to read up but it's difficult to find information on this. If anyone could explain how to do it in for example Putty or similar I would be really grateful.

BTW, what were the flaws in the in the 323's UPnP capabilities and have they been remedied for fw 1.04?

//T

#2 2008-03-03 00:54:57

skydreamer

Re: SSH tunnelling of UPnP

OpenVPN is your friend, it is described elsewhere in this forum.

I found UPnP sharing over the Internet extremly slow, unless you have a DSL line i.e. symetrical speed up/down link. Even then there are annoying delays between the songs.

#3 2008-03-03 16:53:48

marca

ojve wrote:

Hi!

Just got my DNS-323 a couple days ago, and I'm thrilled with all the possibilities that have opened up that I didn't know about before buying it.

I have it installed and its working fine within my local network. But I would like to be able to access it from outside my NAT and I dont feel like shelling out $40 on Twonky. Is there any way of tunneling the UPnP ports by SSH and access it like a local network place in windows?

I've been trying to read up but it's difficult to find information on this. If anyone could explain how to do it in for example Putty or similar I would be really grateful.

BTW, what were the flaws in the in the 323's UPnP capabilities and have they been remedied for fw 1.04?

//T

Do you need UPnP functions?
Otherwise i woudl recommend you to check out musicbrowser -> web streaming (search in this forum)
Works great. I have about 10 people streaming music at the same time from my DNS-323 every day wink

/m

#4 2008-03-03 20:08:17

ojve

My needs are not UPnP specific, I just want to stream, that music browsers seems like just the thing! Open VPN seems cool to, but a bit over my head at the moment smile

Thank you!

#5 2008-03-13 16:01:24

knireis

skydreamer wrote:

OpenVPN is your friend, it is described elsewhere in this forum.

I found UPnP sharing over the Internet extremly slow, unless you have a DSL line i.e. symetrical speed up/down link. Even then there are annoying delays between the songs.

I would like to try this out, i have adsl but with 16mb down and 1mb up, so that should be enough for music over upnp. I probably can get the openvpn on the DNS323 going but how do I get my upnp mediaplayer on the other end to recognize the mediaserver (Twonky) in the DNS323?

Board footer