DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-03-03 21:39:31

SCWells72

Can't log in as root through fun_plug telnet anymore. Suggestions?

So this is somewhat of a dumb user error, but it's also quite subtle in nature.  I have fun_plug installed on my DNS-323 so that I could install Twonky, and I'd configured a root user password and saved it to the firmware as described in the fun_plug HOWTO.  The other day I noticed that some of the permissions on the drive weren't as expected, so I updated the permissions on the user folders properly to match.  In the process of doing so, I noticed a typo in my wife's username on the DNS-323 and deleted/re-added her username and updated the files that should be owned by her user ID for the new one.  So far, so good.

However, in the process of doing so, I think the Web admin software for the DNS-323 undid my root user's password information when it updated the firmware password/shadow files and now I can't log back in as root on that machine.  I can log in as my user and my wife's user, as well as the "admin" user for the DNS-323, but just not root.  Unfortunately, none of those users are even in the "root" group, so I have no write access to anything that I could use to fix the situation to the best of my knowledge.

I was hoping I could change the telnet shell to "sh" again or something, or even automate a password change by appending something like the following to the end of my fun_plug script or one of those that it launches:

passwd <<-EOT
<password>
<password>
EOT

but as you'd expect, only the root user has write access to ANY of those files.

I've thought about an extreme scenario of popping out the drives and putting them into another Linux box so that I can edit the fun_plug scripts to give me access without a password again, then popping them back in so that when the DNS-323 comes up I can use it, but I'm not sure how software ext2fs works in terms of what it would mean to read those disks in another machine.  I assume that since it's ext2fs and the root user ID always matches, I should just be able to edit as the other machine's locale root user, but I'm just not 100% sure.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for how I might make this situation right without having to whack the contents of those disks?

Thanks in advance!
Scott

#2 2008-03-03 21:55:00

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Re: Can't log in as root through fun_plug telnet anymore. Suggestions?

Back up the config files you want to keep (you can still read fun_plug.d/etc, right?) and copy a fresh fun_plug.tar to Volume_1. If all goes well, it'll overwrite your telnet script...

#3 2008-03-03 22:00:43

SCWells72

fun_plug.d is 755 or maybe 775 for root:root across the board, I believe.  I'll verify when I get home, but I think that was the case.  Again, I think this was me locking things down, probably not from the original distribution.

#4 2008-03-03 22:43:33

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Depending on your setup there may be alternative approaches, e.g. http://dns323.kood.org/forum/p6000-2007 … html#p6000

#5 2008-03-03 22:44:29

SCWells72

Ah, fantastic!  I'll see what I can do along those lines.  Thanks so much!

#6 2008-03-04 18:58:51

SCWells72

Unfortunately the only fun_plug services I have running are telnetd and twonky, so I don't have an opportunity to drop a script into a Web root or anything.  Unless there are other options for such backdoor hacks, I'll likely just pull the disks and put them into another machine here so I can change login to use sh instead of telnet so I can set the root password again.  Thanks for the help!

#7 2008-03-04 19:21:08

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Have you tried copying a fresh fun_plug.tar to Volume 1, like I said in my first post? There's not much to fear.

#8 2008-03-04 19:51:59

SCWells72

I haven't tried that yet, but like I said, fun_plug and fun_plug.d are owned by root:root and are chmod 755, so I'm not sure how that'll work.  I'll try it when I'm home again this evening, but the user IDs of the client machines are not root for sure.

#9 2008-03-04 21:48:50

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

It's supposed to work as it did during installation. You put a fun_plug.tar into Volume 1 and reboot. The fun_plug script will find it and unpack all the files. It does this as root, so it can overwrite whatevert files there are with the versions from the tar. It, of course, includes the original version of start/telnetd.sh that doesn't ask for a password. Et voila...

#10 2008-03-05 05:55:05

SCWells72

That did it, fonz!  Actually it did require a bit of tinkering as my original fun_plug had a different directory structure and start script naming convention (telnetd.sh vs. 00telnetd.sh and no SBINDIR env var being set by my fun_plug script), but by unpacking the tarball, editing 00telnetd.sh, and putting the updated version out there, it did what I needed.  Thanks so much for the help!  I'm back in a very good state now.

#11 2008-03-05 08:03:47

jayas

Hello,

I found a sort of minimal way to install telnetd using fonz'z funplug-0.4 as per my fun_plug script below.  My basic requirement is a minimal telnet for root only, and through which I can unmount the file system for checking and so on.

Enjoy

Jaya

Code:

#!/bin/sh

# manifests
root=/home/root
disk=/mnt/HD_a2/fun_path
logs=/mnt/HD_a2/fun_logs
export PATH=.:$PATH

# switch to disk path
cd $disk
{
    # boot timestamp
    busybox date

# execution trace
    set -x

# install files
    busybox cp busybox $root

# replace shell
    busybox mv -f /bin/sh /bin/sh.old
    busybox ln -s $root/busybox /bin/sh

# establish console
    busybox mknod -m 0666 /dev/ptmx c 5 2
    busybox mkdir -p /dev/pts
    busybox mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts

} >$logs 2>&1

# switch to root path
cd $root

# setup telnet policy
busybox sed -n -e '/^root:/s|:/.*|:/home/root:/bin/sh|p' /etc/passwd >passwd
busybox sed -e '/^root:/d' -e 's|:/.*|:/:/bin/sync|' /etc/passwd >>passwd
busybox mv passwd /etc/passwd
busybox echo "/etc/passwd updated" >>$logs

# clone admin password
busybox sed -n -e '/^admin:/s//root:/p' /etc/shadow >shadow
busybox sed -n -e '/^root:/dp' /etc/shadow >>shadow
busybox mv shadow /etc/shadow
busybox echo "/etc/shadow updated" >>$logs

# start telnet daemon
busybox telnetd -l /bin/login -F
busybox echo "telnet daemon started" >>$logs

H/W=B1 F/W=1.04; RAID1: SAMSUNG HD501LJ T166 (500GB, SATA 3.0Gb/s 16MB)

#12 2008-03-06 18:15:59

ojve

Hi!

Linux-noob as I am, the same thing happened to me. I fixed it with uploading a new tarball like you said fonz, thank you for that:)

My question is what caused this? Should I not mix managing accounts in the web UI and by telnet/ssh? If not, how do I manage the ftp accounts and and their access from the shell?

//T

#13 2008-03-06 18:18:41

SCWells72

At this point my assumption is that when you manage accounts in the Web UI, you should have an active root shell open from which you set and store your password again immediately upon completion of account management.  As we both now know, you can drop a new tarball in the root directory again to get back in, but given that things move around over time as with my experience (the startup scripts and sbin dir), it's probably safer just to make that a point of process.

#14 2008-03-06 18:24:24

ojve

Yes, probably.

But how do you manage ftp-accounts, access and settings by telnet/ssh?

I have only just started with linux I'm not even quite sure how the accounts types are connected. The ftp accounts are the same (as the very same instances, not even duplicates) accounts and passwords used to log on to the computer right?

//T

#15 2008-03-07 01:00:20

jayas

ojve wrote:

But how do you manage ftp-accounts, access and settings by telnet/ssh?

Hello,

I hope you are aware managing passwords through telnet/ssh will not be persistent across reboots unless you use fonz's scripts or equivalent to write these changes to flash.  If you are doing this, you also have to be careful not to interfere with the mount/umount of flash device by the web interface.

I prefer to make changes in memory and let the web interface take care of committing these to flash.

Regards,

Jaya

#16 2008-03-07 09:49:38

mig

jayas wrote:

I hope you are aware managing passwords through telnet/ssh will not be persistent across reboots...

You can also use a technique where the 'managed' passwords are stored in a file
and copied over the working root via a script at startup.  Similar to the last few
lines in jayas script in post 65.

Last edited by mig (2008-03-07 09:49:53)

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#17 2008-03-07 15:17:10

jayas

mig wrote:

You can also use a technique where the 'managed' passwords are stored in a file
and copied over the working root via a script at startup.  Similar to the last few
lines in jayas script in post 65.

I am wondering if backing up the configuration, editing what we needs to be customised, and then reloading the customised profile would be the best method, assuming of course the backup and restore of configuration works reliably.

Incidentally the backup configuration files holds email password in the clear!  So much for password security.

Jaya

#18 2008-03-07 18:11:24

mig

jayas wrote:

I am wondering if backing up the configuration, editing what we needs to be customised, and then reloading..

This is certainly a possible technique; however, you are still relying on
(closed source) D-link provided software to read the configuration file and update
the system/memory files.  If you add something in your customization that
the configuration file reader doesn't handle, it could lead to unexpected results.

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#19 2008-03-08 00:59:34

jayas

mig wrote:

This is certainly a possible technique; however, you are still relying on
(closed source) D-link provided software to read the configuration file and update
the system/memory files.  If you add something in your customization that
the configuration file reader doesn't handle, it could lead to unexpected results.

True.  Digressing ....

I am wondering [only wondering at the moment ... smile] that given the configuration backup file format appears very similar to another product  I have looked into (router from another vendor), the origins of the parser could be from a 'common' or even 'not so open' source.  I wonder if anyone else has seen the configuration files.

We could try ask D-LINK to release source for their goweb interface but I reckon it would not be a good idea to for one to hold one's breath waiting for this wink

Jaya

#20 2008-03-08 01:46:16

jayas

Hello,

This is a follow-up to my previous post.  I must caution that this post in no way suggests you should not heed Mig's (IMO) good advice relating to changing configuration files.

I had been unhappy that the GUI interface would not allow me to restrict root share (Volume_1) to "admin" user only because this user does not come up in the list of users.  So I created a dummy user, and allocated this share.  Then I dumped the configuration file, and changed the user name for this share as follows:

Code:

[ Volume_1 ]
comment = admin
path = /mnt/HD_a2
valid users = admin
read only = no
guest ok = no
oplocks = yes
map archive = yes

It works and I am happy smile

Jaya

Last edited by jayas (2008-03-08 01:47:19)

#21 2008-03-10 13:32:53

ojve

Ok, so I tried to get some help on this but no one seems to know the answer, or bother to take the time to answer.

So, if I'm supposed to continue to do user management from the web UI, does anyone have any idea exactly when theses changes will interfere with the root password?

I'm going away and would like to be able to do all management of my disks remotely. Is there any other (secure) way than to install openVPN and do it from the web UI. To be honest, the instructions for openVPN seemed a bit advanced for me.

Please help

//T

Board footer