DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-03-08 03:51:45

kh_naba

uShare 1.1a working fully. Finally enjoy video streaming to xbox360 :)

Hi,

Like everyone else here with a dns-323 and xbox360, I searched desparately through this forum for a working free software solution to get my box stream to the xbox360 smile. Realizing there hasn't been any one yet, I decided to give uShare-1.1a a try. There were some upnp server ports, including gmediaserver, older version of ushare, mediatomb etc. done by Fonz mainly, but none of them seems to stream to xbox360 and I didn't like the idea of twonky at all.

uShare-1.1a has full support for streaming to xbox360 and it seems to be the only free software capabale of doing it decently. The tricky part was, of course, trying to get it compile for dns-323, but after a few days, I finally managed to port it fully (with DLNA support). This is my first port of anything on dns-323, so please let me know if something went wrong in the port smile.

Anyways, the downloads:

1) Fonz's fun_plug addon (based on 0.4 release): http://anjuta.org/naba/ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz
2) The source code bundle: http://anjuta.org/naba/ushare-1.1a-dns-323-src.tar.gz

Copy of README file (it would be nice to have it in wiki):

uShare upnp media server for DNS-323 NAS box
--------------------------------------------

ushare website: http://ushare.geexbox.org/

These packages have been modified to build for DNS-323 NAS box. Also
it has been tested only on fonz's fun_plug 0.4. But I suppose it can be
easily built for fun_plug 0.5 too.

* Works with xbox360 (audio/video/pictures). I have been sucessfully
  streaming video through it.
* Should work with PS3 because it is built with DLNA support. I don't own a ps3,
  so can't test it.

Following source code packages are inside this bundle

1) ushare-1.1a
2) libupnp-1.6.5
3) libdlna-0.2.3
4) ffmpeg-export-2008-03-07 (svn)

Following standalone files are included

1) ushare.conf: Default configuration
2) ushare.sh: fun_plugin startup control file

Following build scripts are include

1) build_ushare: Builds and installs ushare-1.1a
2) build_upnp: Builds and installs libupnp-1.6.5
3) build_dlna: Builds and installs libdlna-0.2.3
4) build_ffmpeg: Builds and installs ffmpeg-export-2008-03-07 (svn)

5) build_ushare_auto: This script performs the above builds (in the reverse
of given order), moves the configuration files in right places and prepares
fun-plug package for direct installation on dns-323. A fun-plug plugin
file 'ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz' would be created at the end. No need to
the run the scripts (1) to (4) if you run this one.

Preparation:
------------
0) If you haven't done it yet, Install fonz's fun_plug in your DNS-323.
   http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.4/.
   If you are lazy, you can just pickup the pre-built
   "ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz" available online and skip the
  'Building' section.

Building:
---------
1) Follow the instructions at http://dns323.kood.org/howto:crosscompile
   to setup the cross compilation. The 'GPL' directory created there is
   the operating directory for this build.
2) Extract this source bundle right in the 'GPL' directory so
   that you get the above mentioned files under it.
3) edit the file ushare.conf and change USHARE_DIR to list your directories
   to share.
4) run: "./build_ushare_auto"
   Make sure you are still in the 'GPL' directory when running it. At the
   end, you will get "ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz".

Installation:
-------------
5) Move it to somewhere in your DNS-323 box.
6) Telnet to your DNS-323 and get to the directory where it was moved.
7) run: "funpkg.sh ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz"
8) Restart dns-323 or run: "/mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/start/ushare start"

Reporting bugs:
---------------
You may email me at Naba Kumar <naba_@_gnome.org>. Please only report dns-323 porting
releated issues. For the actual software bugs, please report them to
upstream developers.

Hope you enjoy it.

Regards,
-Naba

#2 2008-03-08 15:19:14

kh_naba

Re: uShare 1.1a working fully. Finally enjoy video streaming to xbox360 :)

kh_naba wrote:

8) Restart dns-323 or run: "/mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/start/ushare start"

Hmm, that should actually be "/mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/start/ushare.sh start"

#3 2008-03-08 22:12:11

Freway01

kh_naba,

I'm new to hacking the DNS-323 as I just got mine a couple of days ago so I'm just really starting to play with it. I purchased mine for the purpose of storing music, pictures, and video on it. I've update the firmware in my DNS-323 to version 1.04. I have two 750GB SATA 300 drives in it (setup as standard, individual drives) that I want to use primarily to be able to stream my MP4 video to the xbox 360. I was surprised when the xbox counld't see the DNS-323 after I set it up and threw some of my videos on it.

I'm a newbie so please bare with me. After I download the two files (fun_plug & uShare1.1a) you have in your thread just before the instructions, do I extract them both into the same folder on volume_01 of the DNS then Telenet into the that folder on the DNS?

After I run "funpkg.sh ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz" and restart the DNS, will both of my volumes on the DNS be available and viewable by the xbox?

#4 2008-03-08 22:37:31

kh_naba

Freway01 wrote:

kh_naba,

I'm a newbie so please bare with me. After I download the two files (fun_plug & uShare1.1a) you have in your thread just before the instructions, do I extract them both into the same folder on volume_01 of the DNS then Telenet into the that folder on the DNS?

After I run "funpkg.sh ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz" and restart the DNS, will both of my volumes on the DNS be available and viewable by the xbox?

Perform steps 0, 5,6,7,8 and you should be fine. It only shares Volume_1 by default. You can change that in the file /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/etc/ushare.conf (and restart it after that).

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba

#5 2008-03-09 00:51:01

Freway01

When I tried running this I got this error, "FATAL: ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz: File not found or not readable.

Here's what I did:

I already had Fun_plug in my root directory on volume_1 (this allows me to telnet into the DNS-323.

I then copied "ushare-1.1a-dns-323-src.tar.gz" and "ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz" into the the root directory.

I then telnet'd into the DNS-323 by typing "o 192.168.0.193"

After I was in, at the / # prompt I typed funpkg.sh ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgs. That is when I got the error.

Like I said, I'm a newbie at this and know even less about Linux so any help you can supply would really appreciated.

#6 2008-03-09 03:31:20

Freway01

This newbie could use all the help he can get. If anyone could give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. This is what I've done for far:

I've downloaded 'funplug-0.4.tar.gz' from 'http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.4/' and extracted the 'fun_plug' & 'fun_plug.tar' files and placed them in the root directory on Volume_01 of the DNS-323. I then restarted the DNS (poweredit off/on.

Once I did that I was able to telnet into the DNS by opening a telnet client  (Puttytel.exe).

The first time I i tried this I downloaded "ushare-1.1a-dns-323-src.tar.gz" and "ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz" into the the root directory, telnet'd into the DNS-323 and at the / # prompt I typed funpkg.sh ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz but I got got this error, "FATAL: ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz: File not found or not readable".

I then created a folder on Volume_01 called 'uShare11a'. I copied "ushare-1.1a-dns-323-src.tar.gz" and "ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz" into it then telnet'd into the DNS-323 again and tried to cd to the ushare11a folder but I got a message saying "/mnt/hd_a2/fun_plug.d/bin/sh: chdir: can't cd to ushare11a"

If anyone could give me a push in the right direction, I would applicate it.

Thanks

#7 2008-03-09 09:01:43

kh_naba

Freway01 wrote:

This newbie could use all the help he can get. If anyone could give me some pointers to get me going in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. This is what I've done for far:

I've downloaded 'funplug-0.4.tar.gz' from 'http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.4/' and extracted the 'fun_plug' & 'fun_plug.tar' files and placed them in the root directory on Volume_01 of the DNS-323. I then restarted the DNS (poweredit off/on.

Once I did that I was able to telnet into the DNS by opening a telnet client  (Puttytel.exe).

So far so good.

Freway01 wrote:

The first time I i tried this I downloaded "ushare-1.1a-dns-323-src.tar.gz" and "ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz" into the the root directory, telnet'd into the DNS-323 and at the / # prompt I typed funpkg.sh ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz but I got got this error, "FATAL: ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz: File not found or not readable".

You need to in the directory where you downloaded ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz. Telnet starts you from '/', which is the root of filesystem. The Volume_1 share is at /mnt/HD_a2. Change your directory to that before running 'funpkg.sh ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz'.

Freway01 wrote:

I then created a folder on Volume_01 called 'uShare11a'. I copied "ushare-1.1a-dns-323-src.tar.gz" and "ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz" into it then telnet'd into the DNS-323 again and tried to cd to the ushare11a folder but I got a message saying "/mnt/hd_a2/fun_plug.d/bin/sh: chdir: can't cd to ushare11a"

Same here. Change your directory /mnt/HD_a2, because that's where you have created the directory.

Freway01 wrote:

If anyone could give me a push in the right direction, I would applicate it.

Thanks

I hope that helps. Let me know know how it goes.

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba

#8 2008-03-09 09:06:52

kh_naba

kh_naba wrote:

Freway01 wrote:

You need to in the directory where you downloaded ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz. Telnet starts you from '/', which is the root of filesystem. The Volume_1 share is at /mnt/HD_a2. Change your directory to that before running 'funpkg.sh ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz'.

This is what is step 6 in my original post says to do. I should have been more specific by giving an example that if you have downloaded it in your share's root it actually is in /mnt/HD_a2 in filesystem. Also, use 'ls' to see what is present in the directory.

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba

#9 2008-03-09 17:07:42

Freway01

Thanks kh_naba for your help and patience. After a few attempts (lack of Linux skills) I was able to change to the root directory /mnt/HD_a2 then to the 'uShare' folder. I then ran "funpkg.sh ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz" which ran okay.

I restarted the DNS-323 and the Xbox 360 was able to see the folders on Volume_01.

I wanted both volumes to show up in uShare so I then, in Windows Vista, went into the /fun_plug.d/etc/ folder in Volume_01 and opened ushare.conf with word pad. I edited the file by changing "USHARE_DIR=/mnt/HD_a2" to "USHARE_DIR=/mnt/HD_a2, /mnt/HD-b2" but when I tried to save it I get a message that says "Access toK:\fun_plug.d\etc\ushare.conf was denied.

When I checked the properties, it was 'read' for Everyone but 'read' & 'write' for 1000 (Unix User\1000. I tried to give Everybody 'read' & 'write' but the system won't let me.

How do I get the permissions to edit and save the ushare.conf file?

#10 2008-03-09 19:14:55

kh_naba

After using ushare for a while I have observed a few things that are worth mentioning.

1. Some keys in the ushare.conf are actually wrong and don't work (e.g. ENABLE_XBOX). All the keys are required to have 'USHARE_' prefix. Once the configuration file is fixed, the ushare command in ushare.sh script no longer needs '-x' option (the option overrides the USHARE_ENABLE_XBOX setting in ushare.conf). This is now fixed in http://anjuta.org/naba/ushare-1.1a-fun-plug.tgz . The source bundle is also updated.

2. If you specify more than one directory in USHARE_DIR setting, only the first is actually visible in xbox 360, although other upnp clients could see more (I tried with Nokia n810 running GMediaStreamer).

3. ushare has inefficient indexing. It does it everytime at startup and doesn't seem to update it while running. If you update your media files after startup, you need to restart ushare (or reboot the device). This is kind of annoying. If you have large collection of media files, it could take some time to index everytime it is started. If you have ssh (dropbear) installed you may use ssh command remotely to stop and start it for refresh.

#11 2008-03-09 19:21:13

kh_naba

Freway01 wrote:

I wanted both volumes to show up in uShare so I then, in Windows Vista, went into the /fun_plug.d/etc/ folder in Volume_01 and opened ushare.conf with word pad. I edited the file by changing "USHARE_DIR=/mnt/HD_a2" to "USHARE_DIR=/mnt/HD_a2, /mnt/HD-b2" but when I tried to save it I get a message that says "Access toK:\fun_plug.d\etc\ushare.conf was denied.

When I checked the properties, it was 'read' for Everyone but 'read' & 'write' for 1000 (Unix User\1000. I tried to give Everybody 'read' & 'write' but the system won't let me.

How do I get the permissions to edit and save the ushare.conf file?

Well, I haven't myself played so much with its network permission settings. You can try to see if you can fix it from its configuration interface http://your-dns-box-ip/. That said, as I mentioned in previous post, xbox 360 doesn't really see more than 1 directoy. I think it's a bug in xbox 360 code because I could see multiple directories in other upnp clients.

Let me know if your streaming works.

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba

#12 2008-03-09 19:26:11

kh_naba

Freway01 wrote:

Oh, and of course you could edit the file directly by telneting to it. I think that's the prefered was as you need to keep all those files (under fun_plug.d directory) as 'root only' for security and tradition. You can use the 'vi' editor available in there (see if you can find an easy tutorial for it), but it's kinda going to be hard to use it. I think you can also install 'joe' editor, which has much simpler editing commands.

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba

#13 2008-03-09 19:47:46

kh_naba

One way to export both Volume_1 and Volume_2 would be of course to set USHARE_DIR=/mnt

#14 2008-03-09 21:29:27

Freway01

I telnet'd into the DNS and edited the 'ushare.conf' file. I changed the 'USHARE_DIR=' line so it reads 'USHARE_DIR=/mnt/HD_a2/DVD-Video,/mnt/HD_b2/Xbox-Video' and restarted uShare but the Xbox only saw the DVD-Video file on volume_01.

I re-edited the 'ushare.conf. file and changed the 'USHARE_DIR=' line so it reads 'USHARE_DIR=/mnt/HD_b2/Xbox-Video' and restarted uShare. This time the Xbox saw the Xbox-Video file on volume_02.

At least now I've got uShare looking at the right folder. Now I need to get it to read MP4 video files. The Xbox can read and process MP4 files from a shared folder on my Vista machine so it has to be something with uShare.

#15 2008-03-10 09:33:56

rap

Hi - thought I'd give this a try to stream to my PS3

I have set it up and the PS3 "sees" the files that I'm tring to screen but they are all "Unsupported data"

Trying to trouble shoot I have tried to start ushare manually using the command below

"ushare -d -v -i -c /mnt/HD_a2/Test"

it all seams to start OK showing the uPnp and DNLA stuff starting but when it gets to indexing the MP3s in the Test folder I get an error

"mdb:225, lastbuf:0 skipping granule 0
mdb:225, lastbuf:0 skipping granule 0
Illegal instruction"

Any idea what might cause this?

Thanks

RAP

#16 2008-03-10 13:16:15

kh_naba

rap wrote:

"ushare -d -v -i -c /mnt/HD_a2/Test"

it all seams to start OK showing the uPnp and DNLA stuff starting but when it gets to indexing the MP3s in the Test folder I get an error

"mdb:225, lastbuf:0 skipping granule 0
mdb:225, lastbuf:0 skipping granule 0
Illegal instruction"

Any idea what might cause this?

I don't have much idea. Can you try with few divx video files in the test folder instead?

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba

#17 2008-03-10 13:27:13

kh_naba

Freway01 wrote:

At least now I've got uShare looking at the right folder. Now I need to get it to read MP4 video files. The Xbox can read and process MP4 files from a shared folder on my Vista machine so it has to be something with uShare.

I am sure ushare developers would be aware of that, if not filing a bug report to them would be helpful. I will keep an eye on their releases to update dns builds.

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba

#18 2008-03-10 17:15:06

Freway01

Yes, I did send them an email notifiying them of the problem. The other think I noticed was after adding any files to any of the folders, you have to restart the DNS-323 for the Xbox to see them.

#19 2008-04-10 01:42:38

zenji9

Fantastic!! Works a treat, many thanks kh_naba, never thought I'd get streaming going......

Any news on future releases?

Cheers.
Zenji9

#20 2008-06-02 16:49:58

freyes01
Website

Can this be installed in the DSM-G600?

#21 2008-06-26 00:09:24

dahlj

Yet another newbie;-)
I've installed funplug and the ushare addon, restarted DNS. When starting ushare I get:

/ # /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/start/ushare.sh start
   Starting ushare...
   / #

From posts above it looks like I should get some more response, or?
Anyway, without changing any default values anywhere (UPnP activated though) I can't get my xbox360 to see the DNS. What have I missed out?

#22 2008-06-26 09:45:02

dahlj

I think I redraw my question, it looks like I wasn't patient enough. Later on in the evening the xbox did find the DNS, so I guess it was just a matter of ushare getting a grip over all the files to share.
It's looking very good at the moment, thanks Naba for this excellent tool.

Cheers
             dahlj

#23 2008-06-26 12:10:26

Sinobato

This sounds interesting. Do you need an "opened" Xbox360 for this to work?

DNS-323:  F/W:1.07  H/W:B1  ffp:0.5  HDDs: 2x1TB Standalone HDD (Hitachi HDS721010KLA330, Seagate ST31000528AS)

#24 2008-06-27 17:55:01

dahlj

No, not from what I can see so far.

#25 2008-06-27 18:58:16

Sinobato

I tried to download naba's 1.1a fun_pkg, but when I tried to install it on my dns-323 (FW: 1.05, ffp: 0.05) I am getting error saying "ffp not found in package". So this one seems applicable only for ffp 0.04? How can I run it under ffp 0.05?

Thanks.

DNS-323:  F/W:1.07  H/W:B1  ffp:0.5  HDDs: 2x1TB Standalone HDD (Hitachi HDS721010KLA330, Seagate ST31000528AS)

Board footer