DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-03-21 11:17:01

ttarchal

313 not visible on the network

Hi,

I just bought a new DNS-313 and plugged in a Seagate 250GB drive into it (I checked it's on the supported list).

I can see the drive on USB, as soon as I plug it in it is my computer asks me if I want to initialize/format it (I am on a Macbook Pro, OSX Tiger 10.4.11). It was also tested this way at the store, when I asked them to verify that the disk would work with the DNS.

However, when I plug it into my home router (Linksys WRT54G3G) it does not seem to be getting an IP at all. The network LED glows blue (and occassionally blinks) which suggests that all is fine, but:
* I can't find the box's address through the router's DHCP table, which I can see on the router's administrative web interface -- all my other home computers are visible here, either via Wifi or via Ethernet cable
* I can't ping the box under the default address listed on the manual (192.168.0.32) either
* I can't find it via the Click'n'Connect or the Easy Search utility (I am only able to run them in Parallels virtual machine)

Any ideas what can be wrong here??

I already tried:
* a different ethernet cable. I tried resetting the box but it does not seem to reset (I insert and hold the pin in the back panel reset hole, but nothing blinks as described in the manual).
* resetting the router's DHCP addresses to 192.168.0.16-64, router is at 192.168.0.1 and mask is 255.255.255.0

I'm really out of ideas.

Tomasz

#2 2008-03-21 19:27:07

naffarin

Re: 313 not visible on the network

Hi,

i think before initializing the dns 313 the click connect utility discovers the device by a simple broadcast, so you might check your network configuration in the virtual machine . Do you use NAT for the virtual machine or bridged mode ? If you use NAT your virtual machine normally will  use an entire other subnet. If you use NAT try to switch the virtual machine to bridged mode.

Naffarin

#3 2008-03-22 22:46:25

ttarchal

Re: 313 not visible on the network

I guess you were right. But rather than fiddling with my Parallels network settings, I just borrowed a Windows laptop and ran the Click'n'Connect utility on it. Now the DNS is visible and I'm configuring it right now.

Thanks for your help!

Board footer