DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2008-04-08 23:59:56

Dlink

Re: BT on Firmware 1.05

I too would love to know exactly how you got it at this "tradeshow". 1.05b6(the version you are looking at) was released 3/21 for testing so please do tell me how exactly this "tradeshow" had it let alone the fact that someone allowed you to take screenshots(not pictures) of the GUI from the PC that was browsing the device.

But regardless of where this screen came from I already know firmwares get out all the time so I just use it as some pre-feedback during development. We are getting closer to finishing up 1.05 with some minor fixes and BT support.

Also fyi the firmware will do you no good unless you have the Easy Search utility to go along with it(which installs the BT module).

#27 2008-04-09 06:43:09

richneo

Dlink wrote:

I too would love to know exactly how you got it at this "tradeshow". 1.05b6(the version you are looking at) was released 3/21 for testing so please do tell me how exactly this "tradeshow" had it let alone the fact that someone allowed you to take screenshots(not pictures) of the GUI from the PC that was browsing the device.

But regardless of where this screen came from I already know firmwares get out all the time so I just use it as some pre-feedback during development. We are getting closer to finishing up 1.05 with some minor fixes and BT support.

Also fyi the firmware will do you no good unless you have the Easy Search utility to go along with it(which installs the BT module).

so when will it release? do post the link to download and let us try if you don't mind

i am waiting anxiously for it big_smile

2xDNS-323 ,1xDNS-313, 1xDNS-343

#28 2008-04-09 09:57:25

craft
Website

Dlink :
So you have this beta 1.05b6 fw since 21/03.....
What is the "minor fixes" in this firmware ?

Is it possible to install this "BT module" on an older fw version...like 1.04 ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 x DNS-320
1 x DNS-325

#29 2008-04-09 12:31:19

Tilly

richneo wrote:

Dlink wrote:

so when will it release? do post the link to download and let us try if you don't mind

Hi richneo

These are not the answers to Dlink and my questions!

Tilly wrote:

Where did you attended a trade show in overseas? In Honolulu Hawaii?

How do you get a screenshot image on a trade show? Was it a D-Link trade show booth?

Last edited by Tilly (2008-04-09 12:31:46)

#30 2008-04-09 15:38:59

richneo

Tilly wrote:

richneo wrote:

Dlink wrote:

Hi richneo

These are not the answers to Dlink and my questions!

Tilly wrote:

Where did you attended a trade show in overseas? In Honolulu Hawaii?

How do you get a screenshot image on a trade show? Was it a D-Link trade show booth?

the show is in asia

someone i know just pop over to their booth, did a screen captured on that computer using ms paint and send it to his email

#31 2008-04-09 17:29:00

craft
Website

big_smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 x DNS-320
1 x DNS-325

#32 2008-04-09 18:05:54

Tilly

richneo wrote:

the show is in asia

someone i know just pop over to their booth, did a screen captured on that computer using ms paint and send it to his email

Hi richneo

Where in asia is that show actually?

For me the png header from your image looks not that it was made with ms paint!

#33 2008-04-09 18:16:36

rap

Give the guy a break. This thread reads like an interrogation !!

RAP

#34 2008-04-09 18:35:42

fordem

rap wrote:

RAP

Ummmm - given the nature of the issue - it might well need an interrogation/investigation - a screen capture of a beta firmware could be interpreted as a violation of non disclosure agreement with legal repercussions, or worse - a breach of corporate security.

#35 2008-04-09 18:49:55

sjmac

richneo, you probably don't want to go back to your flat tonight, they'll be waiting for you.

#36 2008-04-09 19:03:10

Tilly

rap wrote:

RAP

Hi Rap

1st: i agree with the words from fordem and also fom dlink

2nd: richneo opened this thread with his information:

richneo wrote:

BT on Firmware 1.05
Just thought that you guys might be interested in a few of the screen shots

Than please look to richneo΄s image:
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8058/323v1km1.png

For me someone has retouched that image.

How can Mr. X (someone richneo knows) made diffenrent retouchings on a screenshot image copy from an webinterface with ms paint on a D-Link trade show booth?

And why are the retouchings made, for what reason?

richneo wrote:

@Richneo

You see, there are still some questions which are waiting for your answers.  wink

#37 2008-04-09 19:16:09

sjmac

Tilly wrote:

For me someone has retouched that image.

That's pretty clear - all the URLs have been fuzzed. So taking the info in this thread at face value, MSPaint screenshot was taken, emailed, opened, URLs were obscurred, file format changed, file forwarded on.

File was then posted on web and forensically analysed for clues about its source :-o

Tilly wrote:

You see, there are still some questions which are waiting for your answers.  wink

But I don't think that providing the answers will help richneo or his accomplice, who are now on the run in the hacker underground.

#38 2008-04-09 19:24:26

craft
Website

oh god....

It's only a screenshoot... not the firmware.

2 x DNS-320
1 x DNS-325

#39 2008-04-09 20:16:07

mig

craft wrote:

It's only a screenshoot... not the firmware.

Exactly!  Unless there was a mandatory non-disclosure agreement
each attendee signed (which we will probably never know since richneo
is being very vague on the details) information presented at most trade
shows are usually public release.  There are lots of still and video cameras
giving free publicity to the vendors' products.

It's also no secret that D-Link is trying to put btorrent functionality into
the DNS-323.  I remember seeing this feature being added, then removed,
in the release notes from the various builds of D-Link firmware that was
finally released as 1.04

It would not be surprising that D-Link would continue the BT development,
seeing that there is a lot of activity on this forum trying to get BT functionality
on the DNS-323

I think this is encouraging that D-Link is this far along with BT development,
at least mature enough to showcase this feature at a trade show, especially
since it took over 9 months to get FWv1.04 released.

Although, I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of richneo's posted image,
the lack of detail about it does make me suspicious, too.

Last edited by mig (2008-04-10 01:43:57)

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#40 2008-04-09 20:18:19

mig

In the D-Link released FWv1.04 there are several remnants from the BT development.

on line 201 of /etc/rc.sh

Code:

#ln -s /sys/crfs/sbin/bt_torrents /usr/sbin/bt_torrents

the bt_torrents file is present in the firmware v1.04

Code:

#strings bt_torrents

/lib/ld-uClibc.so.0
libc.so.0
strcpy
_DYNAMIC
system
chmod
__uClibc_main
memset
opendir
strcmp
sprintf
_GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_
__data_start
closedir
_edata
__bss_start
__bss_start__
_end
__bss_end__
__end__
_init
_fini
input error 
touch /tmp/bt_folder_error
/mnt/HD_a4
/mnt/HD_a2
/mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog
mkdir %s
/mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/.Conf
/mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT
/mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/.Torrents
%s/%s
rm -rf %s
GCC: (GNU) 3.3.2 20031005 (Debian prerelease)
GCC: (GNU) 3.3.3
GCC: (GNU) 3.3.2 20031005 (Debian prerelease)
.shstrtab
.interp
.hash
.dynsym
.dynstr
.rel.dyn
.rel.plt
.init
.text
.fini
.rodata
.data
.eh_frame
.dynamic
.ctors
.dtors
.jcr
.got
.bss
.comment

also on line 466 and 467 of rc.sh

Code:

#eve050307:BT
./sys/crfs/sbin/linkscript &

and /sys/crfs/sbin/linkscript contains

Code:

#!/bin/sh
#if [ -d /mnt/HD_a4/.BT ]; then
#    ln -s /mnt/HD_a4/.BT/libcrypto.so.0.9.7 /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7
#    ln -s /mnt/HD_a4/.BT/libcrypto.so.0.9.7 /lib/libcrypto.so      
#    ln -s /mnt/HD_a4/.BT/libcrypto.so.0.9.7 /lib/libcrypto.so.0
#    ln -s /mnt/HD_a4/.BT/libssl.so.0.9.7 /lib/libssl.so.0.9.7
#    ln -s /mnt/HD_a4/.BT/libssl.so.0.9.7 /lib/libssl.so.0    
#    ln -s /mnt/HD_a4/.BT/libssl.so.0.9.7 /lib/libssl.so
#    ln -s /mnt/HD_a4/.BT/libcurl.so.4.0.0 /lib/libcurl.so.4.0.0
#    ln -s /mnt/HD_a4/.BT/libcurl.so.4.0.0 /lib/libcurl.so      
#    ln -s /mnt/HD_a4/.BT/libcurl.so.4.0.0 /lib/libcurl.so.4.0 
#    ln -s /mnt/HD_a4/.BT/btget /bin/btget
#    ln -s /mnt/HD_a4/.BT/btlist /bin/btlist
#    ln -s /mnt/HD_a4/.BT/chk_bt /bin/chk_bt
#    chk_bt
#elif [ -d /mnt/HD_a2/.BT ]; then
if [ -d /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT ]; then
    ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/libcrypto.so.0.9.7 /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7
    ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/libcrypto.so.0.9.7 /lib/libcrypto.so      
    ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/libcrypto.so.0.9.7 /lib/libcrypto.so.0
    ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/libssl.so.0.9.7 /lib/libssl.so.0.9.7
    ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/libssl.so.0.9.7 /lib/libssl.so.0    
    ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/libssl.so.0.9.7 /lib/libssl.so
    ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/libcurl.so.4.0.0 /lib/libcurl.so.4.0.0
    ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/libcurl.so.4.0.0 /lib/libcurl.so      
    ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/libcurl.so.4.0.0 /lib/libcurl.so.4.0 
    ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/btget /bin/btget
    ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/btlist /bin/btlist
    ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BT/chk_bt /bin/chk_bt
    chk_bt
else
    echo "BT didn't install"
fi

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 

#41 2008-04-09 20:41:42

Biscotte

Comment on this thread (sorry it follows Mig's expose)

So there's a screenshot.  OK. 
Then there is the Spanish Inquisition. 
Justified beating up?  What's this feeding frenzy about exactly? 
If it were sourcecode, OK.  If it were firmware not posted on a dlink site, OK.  But a screenshot.  Get a life. 
Taking out the messenger and shooting him comes to mind . . . . 
Doesn’t look like we will see any more pictures like this does it?  Well done you lot. 

Biscotte

#42 2008-04-09 20:54:29

Dlink

craft wrote:

Dlink :
So you have this beta 1.05b6 fw since 21/03.....
What is the "minor fixes" in this firmware ?

Is it possible to install this "BT module" on an older fw version...like 1.04 ?

You could copy the application over to an older firmware but you would lack the proper integration with the DNS-323's web interface and user account management.

Final release notes are not finshed yet so you will need to wait a bit longer for those.

**EDIT**

Also a quick note to those jumping at rich. We did display BitTorrent running on a DNS-323 at CES 2008 in our Booth although this screenshot was not taken then.

I do not want to overhype the torrent functionality since this usergroup differs from your normal consumer group. The intial release of BitTorrent integration is very 'easy to use' which means it is not going to be like running Vuze/BT on your desktop where you can manage individual downstream speeds, set file priorities inside of a torrent etc. It is a simple client that allows you to locally and remotely add torrents via web URL or loading the .torrent file into the interface. There are features such as bandwidth limiting(overall not per file), seeding limits and download details and more but there is currently no advanced mode for users like yourselves. If you are looking for a simple torrent client that you can open a port to and throw torrents at to download without having your PC on, this is it. We will be looking into more advanced features in the future but for now this is what we have it limited to.

Last edited by Dlink (2008-04-09 21:00:54)

#43 2008-04-09 22:30:04

sjmac

Dlink wrote:

I do not want to overhype the torrent functionality since this user group differs from your normal consumer group. The intial release of BitTorrent integration is very 'easy'

I never considered BitTorrent as a useful feature until I saw the review for the ZyXEL NSA-220 at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30323/75/ that was mentioned in this http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t1970-Disc … units.html thread.

Subscribing to an RSS feed for serialized video (Oh, OK, for my fav TV series ...) sounds like something I'd actually use.

Are there apps that I could install on a fun_plugged DNS323 that could give that function?

Is that the direction that DLink are headed with this?

BTW, richneo, thanks for the screen shots - interesting to look at!

Last edited by sjmac (2008-04-09 22:30:49)

#44 2008-04-09 23:09:41

fordem

A couple of you have missed the point - or more likely, simply refused to see it.

To you it's "just a screenshot" taken at a trade show - but have you considered the implications - someone, either authorised to have access to the equipment, chose to take that screenshot and release it into the public domain - or - there was unauthorised access to the system.  This is a screenshot - not a still picture or a video, taken by a tradeshow attendee with a cell phone.  In the first case, it's probably a violation of a non disclosure agreement (NDA) or a breach of security (depending on who the person was and their relationship with D-Link), and in the second, it's a breach of security - either way there has been a breach of security.

Sure this is just a screen shot, however, the question has to be asked - in the first case, what else has been revealed in violation of the NDA - and in the second, what else has there been unauthorized access to.

Some of us work quite closely with the manufacturers of equipment and are accustomed to working within the terms of an NDA, some of us are practising network professionals and take security seriously - and by the way, I have attended trade shows and symposiums where the first order of business is a mandatory NDA - it does happen.

#45 2008-04-10 00:03:19

Tilly

mig wrote:

It's also no secret that D-Link is trying to put btorrent functionality into
the DNS-323.  I remember seeing this feature being added, then removed,
in the release notes from the various builds of D-Link firmware that was
finally released as 1.04

I would not be surprising that D-Link would continue the BT development,
seeing that there is a lot of activity on this forum trying to get BT functionality
on the DNS-323

I think this is encouraging that D-Link is this far along with BT development,
at least mature enough to showcase this feature at a trade show, especially
since it took over 9 months to get FWv1.04 released.

D-Link USA Press wrote:

D-LINK JOINS BITTORRENT DEVICE PARTNERS

Routers and Network Storage Devices from Leading End-to-End Networking Solutions Provider Complement the BitTorrent Ecosystem of Technology Partners

Las Vegas, January 7, 2008 — BitTorrent, Inc., the global standard for high-quality content delivery on the Internet, today announced D-Link, the end-to-end networking solutions provider for consumer and business, will join its BitTorrent Device Partners.

Through the BitTorrent Device Partners technology licensing and certification program, BitTorrent has certified a key D-Link router and network attached storage (NAS) device to aid consumers in accessing, storing and sharing large amounts of media content through the Internet. Currently, the latest BitTorrent Software Development Kit (SDK) is embedded in the D-Link DNS-323 storage unit, allowing it to act as a media hub for BitTorrent-enabled content, and certification has been granted to the award-winning D-Link Xtreme N™ DIR-655 draft 802.11n router for its ability to share high-speed Internet connections and link multiple home users on a network.

"We recognize the benefits BitTorrent technology brings to its large user base and are pleased to be able to add that functionality to our products," said A.J. Wang, chief technical officer, D-Link. "By integrating the latest BitTorrent SDK into our NAS devices and ensuring our routers are BitTorrent Certified, we provide our customers with the most highly optimized BitTorrent implementation for connected devices and an efficient way to control and access their NAS device via an intuitive Web interface."

"We are excited to have D-Link join our family of BitTorrent Device Partners to ensure that their industry-leading networking and storage devices are optimized for BitTorrent, and certified to provide a great user experience for advanced network applications," said Ashwin Navin, president and co-founder of BitTorrent, Inc. "By virtue of the device partnerships we have, BitTorrent provides distributors of online video, games and software the best peer-assisted content delivery platform to ensure millions of broadband users enjoy a seamless experience for Internet-delivered media."

Established in 2007, the goal of the BitTorrent Device Partners program is to work with a wide-array of hardware, middleware and application providers along the entire consumer electronics (CE) value chain to create next-generation consumer experiences that leverage BitTorrent's advanced peer delivery technology. The BitTorrent SDK for Devices is the official BitTorrent release for embedded devices; the BitTorrent SDK supports the latest protocol enhancements and is compatible with all standard PC clients. BitTorrent certification for routers seeks to ensure the best possible consumer experience by minimizing the need for users to actively manage their router settings.

D-Link is an award-winning designer, developer and manufacturer of networking, broadband, digital electronics, voice, data and video communications solutions for the digital home, small office/home office (SOHO), small to medium business (SMB), and workgroup to enterprise environments. D-Link will be attending the 2008 International CES in Las Vegas and will be at Booth 36212, South Hall, Las Vegas Convention Center.

BitTorrent's president and co-founder Ashwin Navin will deliver the keynote address at DCIA's 1st Annual P2P Summit taking place on January 6, 2008 at the Las Vegas Convention Center, North Hall. Navin will also be speaking on a CES Knowledge Tracks panel on January 8, 2008 at 1:30 p.m. in the LVCC North Hall, N253 and at Digital Hollywood at CES on January 9, 2008 at 3:00 p.m. in the LVCC North Hall.

Source: http://www.dlink.com/press/pr/?prid=378

#46 2008-04-10 01:42:10

sjmac

fordem wrote:

A couple of you have missed the point - or more likely, simply refused to see it.

OK, I see that others on the forum would never have done such a thing, and if I ran DLink, I would have full confidence in giving them full access to any future pre-release firmware ;-)

Seemed a bit mean for everyone to start pointing at richneo and shouting "He did a bad thing" though ... that's between him and someone else. And hey, it's Linux inside, and that's all about sharing, remember? :-)

fordem wrote:

some of us are practising network professionals and take security seriously

As in "would have respected the intention of any device intended to prevent it", or "would have configured DLinks systems and procedures in a way that made this screenshot impossible"?

#47 2008-04-10 02:00:58

mig

sjmac wrote:

Seemed a bit mean for everyone to start pointing at richneo and shouting "He did a bad thing"

There is no evidence that any non-disclosure agreement has been violated.

And there may even be some of us on this forum that think how richneo's friend got
the screenshot was simply quite clever, as long as, there was no NDA required for the
tradeshow.

#48 2008-04-10 04:49:01

richneo

Oh i am overwhelmed by all the post over nite.

Well, its a fact that the images are captured using ms paint but its also undeniable that the images have been touched up to protect which ever parties that are involved. And Guys, please stop worrying about the NDA and violations thingy. It is not a matter of ours to be concerned about.

I started this thread with the purpose of letting the brothers and sisters here know that we might be able to have the official BT support in the next firmware and hopefully, if there are any one out there currently testing it, can share the firmware.

After all, Sharing IS Caring right?

#49 2008-04-10 16:17:25

fordem

Let me start by saying that I mean no offense to the folks here who have worked so hard to make this forum the place that is, or this device in to what it is - I do appreciate your efforts, even though I may not use your code - and most of all - I do appreciate what you have taught me.

sjmac - I'm going to specifically respond to your "it's Linux inside, and that's all about sharing, remember? :-)"

One of things I learned about linux and the GPL a few years back, is that it's very specific, especially when it comes to the sharing of code - it might be worth your time to find out how it really works - by the way there are different versions of the GPL with different requirements, the developer gets to choose which version of the GPL he wants to release his code under.

In a nutshell, the only thing I would be required to share with you is any changes I have made to any open source code that I have used - in a firmware such as this, it could be 90% open source, and 10% modules of my own creation - if I've made modifications to the 90%, I have to abide by whatever licensing terms the open source material was made available to me, but I can choose how I want to make that last 10% available, if I choose to make it available at all.

It could also go the other way, and I could use an unmodified linux kernel with publicly available drivers comprising perhaps 50% of my product - in which case I am under no obligation to provide you with anything (if I didn't modify it, you're free to download it just like I did, from wherever you can find it, I don't have to make that information available to you) - and in fact, I know of one commercially available linux based NAS OS that is distributed like this, and which I chose not to purchase, buying the DNS-323 instead, and primarily because of this forum and it's "open-ness", I'm very happy with my choice.

Open source is an ideal, but like so many ideals, when the rubber meets the road, it's not very practical - making your code freely available makes it hard to justify the continued investment in resources and development time - just take a look around you at how many linux distros are now orphaned - sooner or later the parent company must go the way of RedHat or go out of business, and the idealists who do it on their own time - well - that's what leads to the question you're askin in your other post, the one about the tool chains - documentation is typically the last thing to be updated, and sometimes it gets forgotten.

Biscotte - you posted "if it were source code OK" - I think you have it the other way around - open source is not about making the compiled product available to anyone who wants it, but about making the source code available so that anyone who needs to can make the modifications they need to make - under the GPL, the obligation is to make source code available - nothing more.

Ideals notwithstanding, we need to respect the terms under which the code, both source code & the compiled product, are made available to us.

#50 2008-04-10 18:36:58

sjmac

fordem wrote:

Let me start by saying that I mean no offense to the folks here who have worked so hard to make this forum the place that is, or this device in to what it is - I do appreciate your efforts, even though I may not use your code - and most of all - I do appreciate what you have taught me.

Completely agree, and you are one of the most helpful members!

The quote from me was not my main point, and a little flippant, but I think conveys my opinion of what is empowering about Linux and this little hacker community - and the other point I made was that if any agreement has been breached it wasn't an agreement with the members of the forum.

Talking about software licenses is a bit of distraction from that, but as a contract software developer I use GNU licensed tools and libraries for parts of my work, and I am careful to stay within the letter *and* spirit of the licenses. Your summary of the GPL isn't accurate - if I give you a binary containing GPL code *I* have to also make the source available. Regarding what you have to release if you link against or use LGPL, GPL v2, or GPLv3, that is a very long and not relevant discussion. (As would be discussing whether DLink are *completely* complying with their obligations - not that I have a problem with DLink in this case, in my other thread I'm confused about what has been made available!)

If "it isn't very practical" for a company to comply with the license of software that they find then they shouldn't use it - but you don't need to be cynical about RedHat - they release a lot of very high quality original work as open source code and it is available as binary through, for example www.centos.org as well as their own Fedora project.

smile

Board footer