DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2008-04-22 09:31:23

mig

Re: Help - can't find Admin Logon screen & Easy Search fails to find DNS32

Colin_M,

I don't know what could have caused the corruption?  The "^M" characters
are the windows style line endings (carrage return and linefeed), so I believe
the corruption came from a file that was created or edited with a windows or
dos editor.

Since this corruption was in the NVRAM, the web GUI (or similar process)
must have been evoked after the corruption.  There is a way to save the
save the DNS-323 configuration settings  tools->system->configuration settings.
This produces a file on the browsing computers drive.  If this file was edited
by a windows editor (like notepad) and restored to the DNS-323 this type of
corruption could possibly happen.  But I would expect to see more problems then
just the dns.conf file.

However, all this is just speculation, and possibilities.  The actual source of the
corruption may never be know.

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#27 2008-04-27 04:39:46

roycemek

First of all I have to say that I'm so glad this forum is around.  I had this exact same problem and the solution fixed it for me also.  Now after thinking about it a little, the one thing I did before this problem happened is I saved my configuration settings, reset my DNS323 and then the problems began with I did a load configuration settings.  As I mentioned the solution for me to get the web server back up and running was same but now when I look at my FTP settings, I see where those configuration lines from the DDNS.conf file went.  See image below.  The weird thing now is I can't erase those lines in the ftp web interface.  Is there a simmilar file analogous to the DDNS.conf file for the ftp settings?

Thanks,
Royce M

http://home.earthlink.net/~roycemek/Images/ftp.png

#28 2008-04-28 06:29:46

mig

roycermek,  do you still have a copy of the saved configurations settings from before
you restored them?  I think the best bet would be to remove the problem line ending
characters (with a capable windows editor) from the earlier saved copy (don't create a new one)
and try to restore that.

Which version of firmware are you using, which version of ffp, and what is the operating
system of your windows machine?

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 

#29 2008-04-28 22:43:13

roycemek

I actually got rid of the configuration file, restored the unit and manually put in the settings.  It didn't take long just a little tedious.  For now I've learned that the configuration restore is not the best way to go.

I'm using fm 1.04, Fun_Plug 0.4 and running Windows XP SP2.

Thanks,
Royce M

#30 2008-04-28 23:48:01

mig

roycemek wrote:

...For now I've learned that the configuration restore is not the best way to go...

Well, I'm glad your back up and running.  I don't think the configuration restore is really broken.

I believe save config creates a text file with unix line endings, so the restore config expects unix
line endings.  If you try to look at the saved config file with an windows file editor, the windows file
editor may have tried to "correct" the line endings to window line endings and this caused the
problem with the restore. 

So the lesson to be learned is...
Don't use a windows file editor, that changes the line endings,
to look (or edit) this saved configuration file and use that altered file
to restore the configuration to your DNS-323.

#31 2008-06-08 22:19:44

Queequeg

Colin_M wrote:

mig, you are a star!

I concur. Many thanks, mig. I had EXACTLY the same problem as Colin_M - tried to change the name of the share volume and ended up with a corrupted ddns.conf file. I never lost the SMB share or network access, just the web interface.

I absolutely did not, however, write any CR/LFs to the file. I use EditPadPro and made sure the file was UNIX-only before I uploaded - I checked it 3 times. I use EditPadPro (JGSoft) with Solaris all the time in my work so I know that it writes UNIX text files without the CR/LF line endings reliably. I think there is an inherent bug with the Config modifier. Or at least there is in FW1.05. Maybe it happens when the modified config file is uploading - don't know.

In any case the fix worked for me as well. I installed fun_plug 0.4, telnetted into the box, vi'd the ddns.conf file to put it right, started the web server manually, made a token change to the DDNS service and saved that config, restarted DNS-323 and it starts up normally now, albeit still with Volume_1 as the share name.

Anyone know how to change that safely, i.e. where to change it manually without using the config file download/upload process?

I also have the strange side effect that roycemek reported with his screenshot: In the web management interface on the Advanced - FTP SERVER page, there is an entry under the FTP ACCESS LIST for each of the lines in the edited ddns.conf file and those entries cannot be deleted. Quite weird, but it doesn't seem to affect anything operationally.

#32 2008-08-08 06:21:52

carlin

Queequeg wrote:

Colin_M wrote:

mig, you are a star!

I concur. Many thanks, mig.

If i could chime in and say the exact same thing. Thank you!  I had the exact same problem. The problem occurred when i had tried to upload a previously saved configuration. No, it was not edited. And,  i just double checked - still Unix Formatted.

thanks!
- c

#33 2008-08-08 20:00:37

mig

carlin,  what version of firmware were you using when the problem happened?

Just wondering if this is issue appears in v1.04 or v1.05 or possibly both?

#34 2008-08-12 05:49:31

carlin

Hey,

i was using version 1.05. but - i restored  the settings from a backup _before_ i upgraded from the 1.04 version. not sure if that would have an effect.

all of my shares were deleted and some other stuff was messed up.  i have a screenshot of all of the ddns settings showing up as User/Group entries in my "FTP Access List" :p

cheers
- c

Attachments:
Attachment Icon ddns settings as entries in ftp access list on dns-323.jpg, Size: 147,850 bytes, Downloads: 214

#35 2010-12-20 20:28:46

rolyat

Hello all,

Sorry to up that post from the depth, but I have a very similar issue.

I was using 1.07 without funplug, my unit was working well with a Seagate until August, and then we moved (14000kms).

I got back the DNS-323, let it adapt couple of days to the weather and so on, and all of a sudden I was not able to access the web admin. Tried to look around for hints, then found this post, updated to 1.08, put funplug, change the ddns.conf, was able to log on, to do slight changes to activate them, and reboot. It was OK, then I turned off the unit, the settings were still there, but the ddns.conf seems to return back to corruption.

Honestly I have no idea what did happen in the first place: I don't recall to have modified any "admin files" on the unit. Another thing, with the 1.08, I did a check disk, and I obtained a FAILED, then nothing and I was not able to access the disk anymore.
I turned the DNS off couple of days, now it's back on, the ddns.conf has still the same problem, but I can access all Volume_1 as before. I will later on try to install some SMART tools to get a more precise idea than that FAILED, and hope it's not the 1TB faulty (filled up to 88%...).

If you have any idea about what I may try next, I would be glad. Thanks for reading and your time.

Edit: I made more test and installed the SMARTTools, and the disk passed them. But all of a sudden I don't have access to the disk nor through the terminal (which is normal since the terminal part is on the disk not in the flash). The web access is now working properly, but the disk is not here, while it was present for a while... I am loosing my Latin to find the why.

Last edited by rolyat (2011-01-09 20:23:00)

Board footer