DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-04-18 07:38:41

Ch1mp

DSM-G600 has no lights on after power button is pressed.

Hi all, I have a problem with my DSM-G600 and found this forum while troubleshooting.  This unit has run fine for the past 2 years but I recently moved.  When I hooked it back up (it was in a box for about 3 weeks) no lights come on when I press the power button but the fan and hard drive spin up.  "My Network Places" in Windows shows the device and its web page but clicking on either causes the window to give the "not responding" error.  The D-Link EasySearch software will not find the device on the network.  I removed the drive and stuck it into a USB external case.  Of course I can't read the data but Windows does find the drive and show the partitions so I think the drive is OK.

My theory is that the battery died and I lost something from RAM that is causing the problem.  I wonder if I can recover it by installing a serial port and following the brick recovery wiki.  Has anyone ever seen this before or have any suggestions?

I had no idea you could hack this thing so I really hope it can be recovered so I can play with it!

Thanks!

#2 2008-04-23 11:36:18

Ch1mp

Re: DSM-G600 has no lights on after power button is pressed.

Update:  Installed serial port using A232DBH3v but unit will not post anything.  I think the only hope is JTAG unless there is some hardware problem.  For now I will buy another DSM-G600 because I need my data now.  Is there any problem transferring the drive from the broken unit to the new unit?  I know some devices like XBOX "marry" the drive.  I hope this is not the case here.  Does anyone know?

Thanks

#3 2008-04-23 16:03:25

Wolfie

While you may enjoy having a new and working G600 (it is a nice little toy), if your only goal is to get the data off of it, check this out:
http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Enjoy. smile

#4 2008-04-25 10:21:33

Ch1mp

I had actually already tried the EXT2IFS driver and it shows a swap partition and a file partition.  Unfortunately, windows reports that neither partition is formatted.  I hope this is not correct.  The EXT2FSD driver gives the same results.  I could swear I read somewhere that the DSM-G600 used a proprietary file system not readable by anything else.  At any rate, I got a new G600 for $95 shipped and as soon as it gets here I will try the drive in that.  I hope my data is not gone.  I think I have most of it elsewhere but I am not sure.  I have learned the lesson the hard way this time though.

Thanks for the help.

#5 2008-04-25 12:13:21

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

DSM-G600 is not using proprietary file system. I uses ext2/3.

You can easily install your hard disk to PC and run some recovery software (R-Studio or Stellar linux) if ext2 file system filters/drivers do not work.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

Board footer