DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-05-28 13:56:28

JackShepard

Autoupdate for funplug 0.5 ?

Hi everybody!

Does anybody you update your funplug packages automatically?

I thought about putting the line from the readme

Using rsync, you can download and install additional packages with:

cd /mnt/HD_a2
    rsync -av inreto.de::dns323/fun-plug/0.5/packages .
    cd packages
    funpkg -i *.tgz
    funpkg -i *.tgz
    rm -r /mnt/HD_a/packages

into a shell script switch is excecuted by with a cronjob (i don't know if a cronjob is available in the funplug enviroment?!?) every week.

What do you think?

BR,

JackShepard

#2 2008-05-28 14:13:30

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Re: Autoupdate for funplug 0.5 ?

Don't do this.

First, you should know what is updated and why (i.e., read the Changelog). Second, see warning here: http://dns323.kood.org/howto:ffp#upgrading_packages Third, a new version of some package might require manual changes to config files. Fourth, updated servers need to be restarted.

Further, DONT RSYNC AND RM -RF. Use rsync --delete instead and keep the files. You're wasting bandwidth.

To upgrade packages, run "funpkg -u", not "-i". Also, your script doesn't detect obsolete packages.

#3 2008-05-29 14:55:16

nsign

Re: Autoupdate for funplug 0.5 ?

Hi,

I am a little confused about updating the packages:

1. If I follow fonz's instructions on his web site:

Using rsync, you can download and install additional packages with:

telnet bob
    cd /mnt/HD_a2
    rsync -av inreto.de::dns323/fun-plug/0.5/packages .
    cd packages
    funpkg -i *.tgz

then I get en error massage that the directory "packages" does not exist (in fact, there is none). Needs a "mkdir packages" be inserted first before rsyncing?

2. As I understand funpkg -i only inserts new packages but does not update already installed packages.
Am I right, that -u inserts new packages AND updates already installed packages?

3. What's the difference between rsyncing and just downloading and updating/inserting the new package as described in [link]http://dns323.kood.org/howto:ffp#upgrading_packages [/link]

Fonz, could you please provide some more detailed instruction on your web site for upgrading or inserting packages. That would help Linux illiterates like me a lot....

Many thanks in advance and a big hand for your plugin!!
Regards,
nsign

Board footer