DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-05-29 17:09:04

flashman1207

So slow with Vista

Have a DNS-323 with 1.05 firmware. When I access it from my Vista laptop it is so slow it's unuseable. A lot of the time I just get 'not responding' in Explorer and I end up having to restart Explorer. I have tried the usual secpol.msc change but its still the same. I also tried using "NET USE" instead of just mapping the drives but it makes no difference. Anyone got any idea how to fix this up. Please note that my my DNS-323 is standard (with RAID-1) with no funplug or the like.......

Thanks
Tony

PS It works fine with my XP laptop

#2 2008-05-29 17:29:22

blahsome

Re: So slow with Vista

Router model and firmware version? Wired or wireless? Wireless encryption mode? Detailed configs of the laptop in question?

Without knowing the details, the only blind recommendation is to upgrade your Vista to SP1, if you haven't done so. I've found my SP1 transfers as speedy as, if not a tiny bit faster than, XP.

#3 2008-05-29 17:43:08

flashman1207

blahsome wrote:

Router model and firmware version? Wired or wireless? Wireless encryption mode? Detailed configs of the laptop in question?

Without knowing the details, the only blind recommendation is to upgrade your Vista to SP1, if you haven't done so. I've found my SP1 transfers as speedy as, if not a tiny bit faster than, XP.

Router is Billion 7404VGO (firmware 5.52g). Laptop is Vista SP1 running Wireless (encryption WPA, TKIP). Don't think problem is a general transfer speed problem as downloading from the web is fine. The damn thing intermittently hangs trying to access the DNS-323 from Explorer.....

Tony

#4 2008-05-29 19:39:40

bq041

Are your Vista firewall settings set correctly?  Try disabling them and see if you have improvement.

Last edited by bq041 (2008-05-29 19:40:05)

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#5 2008-05-29 20:45:19

fordem

flashman1207 wrote:

Router is Billion 7404VGO (firmware 5.52g). Laptop is Vista SP1 running Wireless (encryption WPA, TKIP). Don't think problem is a general transfer speed problem as downloading from the web is fine. The damn thing intermittently hangs trying to access the DNS-323 from Explorer.....

Tony

That is most likely your problem right there - try plugging the laptop in and see what transfer speeds you can get.

Bulk data transfer over wireless is usually problematic - due to the limited bandwidth and susceptibility to interference inherent in wireless networks - also, you really cannot compare downloading over the web to local file transfers - that's like comparing chalk & cheese.

#6 2008-05-30 03:16:41

flashman1207

fordem wrote:

flashman1207 wrote:

Tony

That is most likely your problem right there - try plugging the laptop in and see what transfer speeds you can get.

Bulk data transfer over wireless is usually problematic - due to the limited bandwidth and susceptibility to interference inherent in wireless networks - also, you really cannot compare downloading over the web to local file transfers - that's like comparing chalk & cheese.

Hang on, local file transfers should be quicker than web transfers, surely??? and they are not. I can connect wirelessly to my router and then to my other wired laptop and get very fast transfers (from Vista laptop to XP laptop). Its only when I connect to the DNS-323 I get problems. And anyway, as I said, sometimes I get "not responding" and it hangs my computer altogether...... This is NOT due to slowish transfer speeds........

Will try connecting via ethernet later anyway and report back........

Tony

#7 2008-05-30 13:11:48

flashman1207

OK, plugged it in via Ethernet cable but the problem is still there. I have noticed that of the 2 disks mapped to Vista the first one  Volume_1 (which is defined as RAID-1) seems to be OK though this may just be because there is not much on it. The other disk Volume_2 which is not Raid seems to have the problem in some directories and files and not in others..... I have no file or folder security setup at all on the DNS-323 or in Vista....... Please see disk status from the DNS-323 GUI below:

Total Drive(s):     2
Volume Name:     Volume_1
Volume Type:     RAID 1
Sync Time Remaining:     Completed
Total Hard Drive Capacity:     394227 MB
Used Space:     99496 MB
Unused Space:     294730 MB

Volume Name:     Volume_2
Volume Type:     JBOD
Total Hard Drive Capacity:     687239 MB
Used Space:     79914 MB
Unused Space:     607325 MB

Tony

#8 2008-05-30 13:27:55

KyleK

Did you activate Jumbo frames on either the laptop or the NAS? Different MTU sizes between devices can cause this kind of slowdown.

#9 2008-05-30 14:35:10

flashman1207

KyleK wrote:

Did you activate Jumbo frames on either the laptop or the NAS? Different MTU sizes between devices can cause this kind of slowdown.

Too be honest I don't know how to activate Jumbo frames in Vista. Looked in Help and on Google but couldn't find it. I looked under TCPIP in Network Connections and there is no Jumbo Frames option. Anyway, the laptop is pretty new so I certainly haven't changed anything. When I do a "netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces" it shows MTU of 1500. Jumbo Frames is not enabled on the DNS-323...

Tony

#10 2008-05-30 15:19:24

fordem

I don't think it's so much activating jumbo frame in Vista as the laptop probably not supporting jumbo frame - I would expect it to be in the properties section of the network card in device manager - at least that's where I'd look on XP.

#11 2008-05-30 15:32:46

flashman1207

fordem wrote:

I don't think it's so much activating jumbo frame in Vista as the laptop probably not supporting jumbo frame - I would expect it to be in the properties section of the network card in device manager - at least that's where I'd look on XP.

I've looked at both the Ethernet card settings and the wireless card settings and there is nothing for Jumbo Frames. I read somewhere that Vista automatically adjusts anyway depending on traffic so maybe its automatic with Vista..... Anyway Jumbo Frames in NOT enabled on the DNS-323 anyway......

Tony

#12 2008-05-30 17:04:24

fordem

I just had a look at a Vista business system - the network card properties advanced tab will have an entry for "jumbo packets" if it supports jumbo frame, so if you're not seeing that, then it doesn't, and no it's not automatic with Vista.

What wireless card does the laptop have?  Some integrated cards - the Intel PRO/Wireless - have a driver that supports logging and can be used to track recieve/transmit errors which could help locate the problem.

#13 2008-05-30 17:57:46

ithrowpicks

What are your power management settings on the 323?  I have Vista SP1 also and whenever my drives go to sleep the first time I access them I see "not responding" in some apps also.  On my 323 it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 seconds to get the 323 responsive after waking up.

I have my drives spin down after 30 minutes idle time which is the max currently in firmware 1.05

DNS 323 with FW 1.08 : FFP 0.5 : RAID 0 : 2 x Western Digital Caviar GP WD7500AACS 750GB

#14 2008-05-30 18:42:28

flashman1207

fordem wrote:

I just had a look at a Vista business system - the network card properties advanced tab will have an entry for "jumbo packets" if it supports jumbo frame, so if you're not seeing that, then it doesn't, and no it's not automatic with Vista.

What wireless card does the laptop have?  Some integrated cards - the Intel PRO/Wireless - have a driver that supports logging and can be used to track recieve/transmit errors which could help locate the problem.

Its a 4965AGN.....

#15 2008-05-30 18:44:03

flashman1207

ithrowpicks wrote:

What are your power management settings on the 323?  I have Vista SP1 also and whenever my drives go to sleep the first time I access them I see "not responding" in some apps also.  On my 323 it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 seconds to get the 323 responsive after waking up.

I have my drives spin down after 30 minutes idle time which is the max currently in firmware 1.05

I've tested with changing that but it doesn't make any difference.....

Tony

#16 2008-05-30 20:12:48

fordem

flashman1207 wrote:

fordem wrote:

Its a 4965AGN.....

The 4965AGN is an Intel card, if you're using PROSet (rather than WZC) you can check the utility for statistics (under the advanced tab) and it should give you a wealth of detail on tx/rx packets, errors etc.

#17 2008-06-02 11:39:32

flashman1207

fordem wrote:

flashman1207 wrote:

fordem wrote:

Its a 4965AGN.....

The 4965AGN is an Intel card, if you're using PROSet (rather than WZC) you can check the utility for statistics (under the advanced tab) and it should give you a wealth of detail on tx/rx packets, errors etc.

Have checked that but don't really know what I'm looking for. I started 'Logging' and the only thing that looks remotely funny to me (and this is probably normal) is 106 TX retries from the moment i tried to access the file on disk and the time it came up 'not responding'.... I did notice that in the General window the Percent Transmit Errors goes to up to 95 and then starts to go down.....

But anyway, its not much better when I connect it via Ethernet......

Could it be the way the drives are mapped. What is the recommended way to do this...?

Tony

#18 2008-06-02 16:49:21

fordem

I don't think this has anything to do with drive mappings - TX errors are network related, and a 95% transmit error level is extremely high and that is where I believe your problems are coming from, you might recall my initial suggestion was that the problem was related to the wireless network, and that was proven wrong by your connecting to the ethernet, what we have not eliminated is the possibility of there being a problem with the wired side of your network.

A couple of questions - what router/switch are you using, does it support gigabit, and where did the cable connecting the DNS-323 to the router come from.

By way of explanation - we have already eliminated jumbo frame as a possible cause but that still leaves the possibility of incorrect speed & duplex negotiation (between the switch and the DNS-323) and a bad cable.

#19 2008-06-03 00:24:30

Lindus

flashman1207 wrote:

Please see disk status from the DNS-323 GUI below:

Total Drive(s):     2
Volume Name:     Volume_1
Volume Type:     RAID 1
Sync Time Remaining:     Completed
Total Hard Drive Capacity:     394227 MB
Used Space:     99496 MB
Unused Space:     294730 MB

Volume Name:     Volume_2
Volume Type:     JBOD
Total Hard Drive Capacity:     687239 MB
Used Space:     79914 MB
Unused Space:     607325 MB

Tony

WHOA!!! Isn't the problem right here?  IF you're to run RAID-1 you need 2 drives both set to RAID-1 as one drive mirrors the other.  I think the 323 is first of all feeling confused about what it is supposed to do with the drives to begin with.  Right now it looks like hodge podge and I am surprised you get any response at all.
My suggestion would be to re-configure the drives to "Standard" to keep all your info on the drives, OR either both RAID-1 if you don't mind losing the info on the JBOD drive, or both JBOD if you don't mind losing the RAID-1 configured drive.

Second; we all know that Vista and the 323 doesn't play nice together to begin with.   I had to play around a lot to be able to have my Vista machine and the 323 talk to each other but after a while on the same network it seemed like they became fast friends and now are on speaking terms.

Again, if I recall correctly the drives have to be configured properly to work properly.  If you have a RAID-1 configured drive the other one have to be too.  If you have a JBOD configured drive the other one has to be too. On the other hand I haven't tried this configuration on my 323 so I cannot say this is the case with certainty.

With hopes this helps somewhat,
/Johan

Last edited by Lindus (2008-06-03 00:25:27)

#20 2008-06-03 00:50:09

fordem

Lindus - this is not necessarily a problem.

Normally, when you create a RAID1 array on a DNS-323 utilizing the entire capacity available, it shows one volume - Volume-1.  You can however create a RAID 1 array using less than the total space available - for example if you have drives of different capacities - in which case the DNS-323 will automatically create a JBOD volume utilizing the remaning space, and in this case there will be two volumes, the first, Volume_1 will be a RAID1 array and the second, Volume_2 will be JBOD - this is what is depicited in the status screen posted earlier.

#21 2008-06-03 07:20:18

flashman1207

fordem wrote:

I don't think this has anything to do with drive mappings - TX errors are network related, and a 95% transmit error level is extremely high and that is where I believe your problems are coming from, you might recall my initial suggestion was that the problem was related to the wireless network, and that was proven wrong by your connecting to the ethernet, what we have not eliminated is the possibility of there being a problem with the wired side of your network.

A couple of questions - what router/switch are you using, does it support gigabit, and where did the cable connecting the DNS-323 to the router come from.

By way of explanation - we have already eliminated jumbo frame as a possible cause but that still leaves the possibility of incorrect speed & duplex negotiation (between the switch and the DNS-323) and a bad cable.

The router is a Billion 7404VGO modem/router and does not support Gigabit..... The cable is the standard Cat-5 cable that came with the DNS-323 (between the router and DNS-323). The cable between laptop and router is a Cat-5 cable I got from work. I've got several others so can try that but as I may have said before this problem does NOT happen when I connect to Internet etc, ONLY when I try and access the DNS-323.....

Many thanks for your continued help..
Tony

#22 2008-06-03 07:21:35

flashman1207

fordem wrote:

Lindus - this is not necessarily a problem.

Normally, when you create a RAID1 array on a DNS-323 utilizing the entire capacity available, it shows one volume - Volume-1.  You can however create a RAID 1 array using less than the total space available - for example if you have drives of different capacities - in which case the DNS-323 will automatically create a JBOD volume utilizing the remaning space, and in this case there will be two volumes, the first, Volume_1 will be a RAID1 array and the second, Volume_2 will be JBOD - this is what is depicited in the status screen posted earlier.

Fordem, you beat me to it, thats exactly what I have done....

Regards
Tony

#23 2008-06-03 15:48:42

fordem

flashman
- a couple of suggestions

1) Try setting the DNS-323 to 100 mbps rather than the default (auto)
2) Try a different cable
3) Try connecting the DNS-323 directly to the laptop, you will probably need to set static ip addresses for this to work.

I understand what you're saying about the problem not happening when you're connected to the internet, but the symptoms and the network statistics point to there being a network related problem.

#24 2008-06-03 17:14:55

flashman1207

fordem wrote:

flashman
- a couple of suggestions

1) Try setting the DNS-323 to 100 mbps rather than the default (auto)
2) Try a different cable
3) Try connecting the DNS-323 directly to the laptop, you will probably need to set static ip addresses for this to work.

I understand what you're saying about the problem not happening when you're connected to the internet, but the symptoms and the network statistics point to there being a network related problem.

I tried 1) and 2) above to no avail (with brand new cable). I couldn't get 3 to work at all (probably due to the static IP thing which I don't really understand that well)...

I did some more playing around and the problem does not happen accessing ALL files. For example, I can watch a movie streaming from the DNS-323 quite all right but within certain folders its either very very slow or goes belly up with 'not responding'.  I think I may have pinpointed it to any folders which have files of filetype 'Application' in them. The actual Application file itself fails most of the time when doing a right click on it for example but any other files just take ages to show any info. The more files of type 'Application' in the folder the worse it is eg a folder with 4 will almost always fail with 'not responding'.....

Most bizarre...
Tony

#25 2008-06-03 19:16:18

fordem

Take a look at it referencing the file size - do larger files (or if you're transferring folders - folders with more files) give more trouble than smaller files?

Last edited by fordem (2008-06-03 19:53:41)

Board footer