DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2008-06-03 19:52:49

fordem

Re: So slow with Vista

IP addressing can be handled in two ways - dynamic addressing - which requires a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server and - static addressing - in which you manually assign an ip addresses to each device that requires one.

The two are not mutually exclusive as it is quite common to give servers and other shared resources static addresses and use dynamic addressing for client systems - this does require the DHCP server to be configured with "exclusions" so that it will not attempt to assign an address already in use by a device with a static address.

To set a static address on the DNS-323, you use the web admin and select setup and then LAN, and to set a static address on your laptop (assuming Windows) you select the network interface you wish to configure, go to properties and then choose tcp/ip and then properties.

An ip address really consists of two parts, the ip address and the subnet mask, but in small LANs a class c subnet can be assumed in which case the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0 and you need to have unique addresses for each host.

Take a look at your router's DHCP configuration - it probably uses a 192.168.n.m address range and issues addresses starting at 192.168.n.101 - you can safely use 192.168.n.50 and 192.168.n.51 - and this will allow you some level of communication with other network hosts, for now you can ignore the DNS & default gateway settings (this will probably require you to map network drives by ip addresses)

Don't forget to set the configurations back to automatic addressing after the test.

#27 2008-06-03 20:20:37

blahsome

Sorry if you have provided the following info, but what are you doing exactly when you say explorer is not responding? Also, exploring not responding is different from network being slow. Are your trying to execute an application file by double-clicking on it? Or are you right-clicking on the application file? Or simply browsing to the directory containing those files?

Windows sometimes must retrieve the entire executable file before being able to display its thumbnail image properly as the thumbnail is stored as a resource within the file. In Vista, you can enable an option that displays a generic image instead of the true thumbnail for such files. It's one of the advanced options buried somewhere in the new explorer menu scheme. Also, you can force the explorer display to be either List or Details, none of which should attempt to display thumbnails.

#28 2008-06-03 20:29:00

fordem

blahsome - my interpretation was that explorer was hanging, which in my experience it will appear to do with a slow network and you do get a "not responding" message when/if the connection is lost.

#29 2008-06-03 20:46:00

blahsome

What I meant was that explorer not responding may be caused by, but is not synonymous with, slow or disconnecting networks. If the explorer is busying retrieving a large file from the network in the background, you can generate an "explorer not responding" in a hurry just trying to click on its UI.

If the "slowness" is only apparent when trying to manipulate some large (executable) files through explorer, I doubt it's network-related.

Many pieces of software are not optimized to deal with file manipulation across a network. For example, on Vista I get extremely long delays trying to fast-forward or rewind any rmvb (real player variable-bitrate) files using the latest Real Player 11 and had to "downgrade" to Real Player 10 to get much better response.

#30 2008-06-04 07:20:47

flashman1207

Fordem and Blahsome,
   I don't think its just Network speed as I can quite happily access my XP laptop from my Vista laptop with NO problems at all (regardless of filetype). Also, accessing films on the DNS-323 does not seem to be a problem (and these are over 700Meg). I may be wrong about the 'Application' type files its just that during my testing, any folder with them in has problems ranging from v. slow to 'not responding'. The more there are the worse it seems to be..... not sure about 'Application' file size differences making any difference as they are invariably quite small (less than 50meg anyway)....

Doing a Google search for "vista 'not responding' 'windows explorer" and similar pulls up lots of hits about problems with Mapped Network drives and Vista. Maybe there is is something in this (though I have tried just about every 'fix' listed)... but then again, my XP laptops c: drive is a mapped network drive with no problems....

Thanks
Tony

#31 2008-06-04 15:25:11

fordem

Forget about accessing XP from Vista for a minute - can you access the DNS-323 from the XP laptop properly?

#32 2008-06-04 17:12:57

mig

flashman1207 wrote:

[ think I may have pinpointed it to any folders which have files of filetype 'Application' in them. The actual Application file itself fails most of the time when doing a right click on it for example but any other files just take ages to show any info. The more files of type 'Application' in the folder the worse it is eg a folder with 4 will almost always fail with 'not responding'.....

Flashman, since this happens with files with extension .exe, perhaps you have some process
(like a virus checker) that is setup to scan the .exe files before allowing a directory listing?

If you are running a virus checking program, you could try temporarily disabling the on-access
scan to see if it improves the DNS-323 response.

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#33 2008-06-04 17:34:03

flashman1207

fordem wrote:

Forget about accessing XP from Vista for a minute - can you access the DNS-323 from the XP laptop properly?

No problems from the XP machine, very quick indeed. No problem with ANY file types or devices....

Tony

#34 2008-06-04 17:58:26

flashman1207

OK, think we have found the culprit..... I have Norton Internet Security installed on my Vista machine. Previously I had tried disabling the firewall etc to no avail. What I hadn't tried was disabling the 'Basic Security' options. When I do, lo and behold it now works.
Now, under 'configure' on the 'Auto Protect' tab I go into 'Scan Exclusions' on the 'Advanced Tab' and I can add *.exe to exlcude these files while also re-instating Basic Security for everything else. Obviously this is not ideal as I do want to protect my exe files. So, does anyone know anything else I can do to still protect them but to stop Norton getting in the way when I try and access them (or does one totally preclude the other?). the only other thing I can think of is to somehow set 'Scan Exclusions' for *.exe files on the dns-323 only. Anyone know how to do this?

Of course none of this explains why its only .exe files that are affected and that are on the dns-323. I would have at least expected it to affect me accessing .exe files on my xp laptop as well.....

Thanks to all who have contributed so far and hopefully this info/experience will help other sufferers too...

Tony

Last edited by flashman1207 (2008-06-04 18:12:16)

Board footer