DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-06-02 14:33:15

rcblackwell
Website

Help !!! How Do I Stop Continueous Reboots....

I'm in desperate need of help. I think I've messed up a script and now my DNS323 will not stop rebooting itself.

Thanks to a posting by marinalink, a few days ago I configured my DNS323 to work with rsnapshot. Following two successful backups I noticed the log file contained warnings stating "Could not lchown() symlink". Research on the internet, specifically the rsnapshot web site (http://www.rsnapshot.org/faq.html and http://www.rsnapshot.org/downloads.html) revealed the need to install a patch for perl. Knowing very little about Linux and even less about Fun_Plug and the DNS323 I used the 'run perl -MCPAN -e 'install qw(Lchown)' command that is shown at the bottom of the rsnapshot Download page.

When the install initiated a blurb indicating several questions would need to be answered and that I should answer yes or no in regards to the install. Given my knowledge of Linux is next to nil I entered no. Much to my surprise a number of actions took place then another prompt appeared. Not wanting to continue the install, I hit Ctrl-C to kill the job. Upon doing so I was returned to the command prompt.

Later in the day I noticed an update to the cleanboot script had been posted so I DL'ed the file and installed it using the funpkg -u command. funpkg removed the old script then installed the new one without incident. That is until I rebooted the DNS323.

Upon reboot the DNS323 started up and appeared to be loading several files. As the unit reached the end of the boot process, as witnessed by reduced disk activity, it rebooted. The reboot appeared to going just fine until the end of the boot process when the unit once again rebooted. Unfortuneately this cycle of rebooting continues and I'm unable to access the unit long enough to see what I can do to stop it.

I'm able to access the Web interface for a very brief moment before receiving an error. The same is true for Putty. I can load Putty and see a login screen however the DNS323 reboots before I can input a password.

At first I suspected cleanboot as the cause of the problem however the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the attempt I made at installing the patch for the Lchown() warning. In any case I'm in desperate need of assistance.

How do I gain access to the DNS323 and stop its silly rebooting??

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

Last edited by rcblackwell (2008-06-02 14:42:36)

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

#2 2008-06-02 15:17:14

index monkey

Re: Help !!! How Do I Stop Continueous Reboots....

can you pull the disk(s) out of the unit and it behave okay then? - just to ensure its not a dns-323 hardware fault.
You can then mount the disks on a PC, and manually correct (or remove ) funplug files.

for details of mounting disks on a pc see http://dlink.co.uk/?go=gNTyP9CnptFMIC4A … 7faIa1GdS8

good luck old chap!

Last edited by index monkey (2008-06-02 15:18:45)

DNS-323, HW B1, 2 x 2TB WD green, fw 1.08, fun_plug 0.5, transmission, automatic, nzbget newsreader & rsync time machine backup.

#3 2008-06-02 15:27:12

bq041

Are you running RAID, or individual disks?  If the disks are individual, pull your right disk out and boot.  Put ffp on on the the disk in it and reboot.  You should be able to telnet in, then.  Once you get that far, pop in the right disk with the unit on and mount it.  You can then edit and script you need to.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#4 2008-06-02 15:35:46

fordem

Given that he has said his linux knowledge is nil - popping the right disk in with the unit on and mounting it is going to be betond his capabilties (it is beyond mine) - an easier way, again assuming separate disks, would be to swap the disks left for right - which should cause it not to find and start the fun_plug, and then install ffp on the right disk and then restart and use telnet to fix the scripts on what is now the left disk.

If the uint is running RAID1 he can probably pull one drive and insert it into a desktop and remove the fun_plug and then rebuild the RAID array at a later date.

#5 2008-06-02 16:58:09

rcblackwell
Website

fordem wrote:

Given that he has said his linux knowledge is nil - popping the right disk in with the unit on and mounting it is going to be betond his capabilties (it is beyond mine) - an easier way, again assuming separate disks, would be to swap the disks left for right - which should cause it not to find and start the fun_plug, and then install ffp on the right disk and then restart and use telnet to fix the scripts on what is now the left disk.

If the uint is running RAID1 he can probably pull one drive and insert it into a desktop and remove the fun_plug and then rebuild the RAID array at a later date.

The unit is configured with two standard drives. Once I get home from work I'll try this suggestion then report.

I also have a spare drive that could be used in the mix if necessary.

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

#6 2008-06-03 03:37:24

rcblackwell
Website

fordem wrote:

swap the disks left for right - which should cause it not to find and start the fun_plug, and then install ffp on the right disk and then restart and use telnet to fix the scripts on what is now the left disk.

What a fantastic forum, what fantastic members big_smile!  Thanks to fordem and others who contributed to this thread my issue has been resolved.

Here are the steps I followed to resolve the problem;

1)Power down the DNS323. This is easier said then done when the unit continues to reboot itself. This is were persitance pays. Keep holding that power button and the unit will soon shut itself down.

2)With the unit powered down, the front cover was removed to expose the drives.

3)Prior to removing the drives labels were affixed to both drives and drive bays. Labels reading HD_ax were affixed the right drive and drive bay and labels reading HD_bx were affixed to the left drive and drive bay.

4)With drives and drive bays labeled, the drives wer pulled from the unit then placed in the oposite slots. The drive labeled HD_ax was placed in the slot labeled HD_bx while the drive labeled HD_bx was placed in the slot labeled HD_ax.

5)With both drives in place the unit was powered up. Follwing a few intense minutes of drive activity the unit settled down and remaind operational. Shortly afterward a shout of joy was heard throught the house.

6)With the unit up and running an attempt was made to copy the fun_plug files to drive now know as Volume 1 (Foremerly Volume 2). The first attempt failed with an access error being reported. “Now what”, I thought (And if you believe that's as I said, well....). After giving the issue some thought I launched D-Links Web tool and assigned myself full rights on Volume 1. What do you know, it worked! The fun_plug files were copied to Volume 1.

7)With appropriate files copied to the DNS323, the unit was restarted. Again, following a few minutes of intense disk activity the unit settled down and remaind operational.

8)With fingers crossed a telnet session was started and an attempted to connect to the unit initiated. A few seconds later the command prompt appeared and another shout of joy was heard throught the house.

9)With full access to the unit I made my way to the /mnt/HD_b2/ffp/start directory where the execution bit on a number of files was set off. Specifically the execution bit of the files named cleanboot.sh, lighttpd.sh and crontab_add_scripts.sh were changed using the chmod a-x filename.ext command.

10)While reviewing file status within the /mnt/HD_b2/ffp/start directory I noticed the execution bit of two *.tgz files was set active. The files in question were cleanboot-2.0.2-fp05.tgz and cleanboot-2.0.3-fp05.tgz. Thinking this didn't look right, the executiuon bit was set off.

11)Following these changes the unit was powered down, the left and right drives place back in their respective bays and the unit restarted. Following what seemed like an eternity of intense disk activity the unit settled down and remaind operational.

12)With fingers crossed an attempt was made to access data on Volume 1 (The real volume 1!). Following a brief review and a few tests I concluded that everything was operation and thus began the task of restarting the scripts that were stopped earlier. The first script started was cleanboot. Using the chmod a+x cleanboot.sh command the execution bit was set and the unit rebooted. Following a few minutes of drive activity the unit settled down and remaind powered up.

13)With exception of the file named crontab_add_script.sh, which contians initiates cron jobs associated with rsnapshot and files containing a tgz extension, one by one the execution but of each script was set active, the unit was rebooted and success achieved.

14)The only puzzle remaining is why the unit went south in the first place. I'm guessing that because the execution bit on the files named cleanboot-2.0.2-fp05.tgz and cleanboot-2.0.3-fp05.tgz was set active these files were attempting to execute when the unit started. Failed or conflicting execution of such in turn caused the unit to reboot. Could someone here confirm this was the most likely cause of this problem?

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

Last edited by rcblackwell (2008-06-03 03:46:47)

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

#7 2008-06-03 10:26:55

SilentException

how did you end up with those two tgz files with +x in start? the package doesnt put them there for sure..

anyhow, they wouldn't get executed in the first place because /ffp/etc/rc script only looks at *.sh files

Last edited by SilentException (2008-06-03 10:27:21)

D-Link DNS-323 v1.05 fun_plug-ed + many mods,  2 x 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RAID0, Cat6 Gigabit Network, 9k Jumbo Frames, Average (WRITE): 19,32 MB/sec, Average (READ): 28,6 MB/sec

#8 2008-06-03 16:00:17

rcblackwell
Website

SilentException wrote:

how did you end up with those two tgz files with +x in start? the package doesnt put them there for sure..

I placed them there in preparation for installation. Based on your comment I'm guessing the /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start directory is not the correct location for such files. Where should these and other such files be placed?

Bob Blackwell
Picker, ON

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

#9 2008-06-03 17:15:20

marinalink

Concerning cleanboot-2.0.x:
I have to check at home, but it could be that I marked the file as +x in the /ffp/start. BUT this should not be a problem. However I will update the package to have them -x tonight and post a new version.

Anyhow, it would still be interesting, what has happend that you ended up in constant reboots...

Do you encounter the problem now after having fixed everything if you reinstall cleanboot-2.0.3 (with /ffp/start/cleanboot.sh executable)?

marinalink

#10 2008-06-03 18:41:22

rcblackwell
Website

marinalink wrote:

Do you encounter the problem now after having fixed everything if you reinstall cleanboot-2.0.3 (with /ffp/start/cleanboot.sh executable)?

cleanboot-2.0.3 reinstalled and the cleanboot.sh file has the x bit set. The unit's been restarted twice without incident. Is there a means by which I can confirm the cleanboot.sh script actually ran?

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

#11 2008-06-03 18:57:25

SilentException

rcblackwell wrote:

SilentException wrote:

I placed them there in preparation for installation. Based on your comment I'm guessing the /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start directory is not the correct location for such files. Where should these and other such files be placed?

Bob Blackwell
Picker, ON

you can put them wherever you want smile they arent getting executed or anything...

/ffp/start/cleanboot.sh should have x bit set if you wanna run it upon start and to have cleanboot working.. without it, you dont have cleanboot..
to verify do ls -la /sbin/cleanboot.sh
if it exists, /ffp/start/cleanboot.sh was executed..

D-Link DNS-323 v1.05 fun_plug-ed + many mods,  2 x 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RAID0, Cat6 Gigabit Network, 9k Jumbo Frames, Average (WRITE): 19,32 MB/sec, Average (READ): 28,6 MB/sec

#12 2008-06-03 19:26:16

marinalink

OK, here is a new version (2.0.4) of cleanboot with the cleanboot.sh in /ffp/start not enabled with the execution bit:

http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t2346-smal … nboot.html

marinalink

#13 2008-06-03 19:32:54

rcblackwell
Website

SilentException wrote:

you can put them wherever you want smile they arent getting executed or anything...

Appreciate the insight.

SilentException wrote:

/ffp/start/cleanboot.sh should have x bit set if you wanna run it upon start and to have cleanboot working.. without it, you dont have cleanboot..

to verify do ls -la /sbin/cleanboot.sh

if it exists, /ffp/start/cleanboot.sh was executed..

As confirmed by the following reply to an ls -la /sbin/cleanboot.sh command, cleanboot is running;

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1240 Jun  3 11:35 /sbin/cleanboot.sh

I've no idea what caused the continueous reboots however I'm pleased the problem is resolved.

Thank you all.

Bob Blackwell
Pickering. ON

Last edited by rcblackwell (2008-06-03 19:34:56)

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

Board footer