DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-02-12 22:51:34

tobyg

Debian install directly from DNS-323 - any interest?

I've compiled cdebootstrap to run directly on the DNS-323.  This will allow you to do the debian install directly on the box without having to start it from one box, tar it up, install all the packages manually with forcing and such.

Let me know if there is any interest in this and I will package this up and post it.

#2 2007-02-12 23:32:08

levring
Website

Re: Debian install directly from DNS-323 - any interest?

Already tar'ed (REMOVED) - but using debootstrap..

If you can host it somewhere, you can add it to the wiki (http://dns323.kood.org/howto:chroot_debian)

Last edited by levring (2009-03-05 21:21:02)

#3 2007-02-13 00:07:27

tobyg

I need to brush up on what the real differences are between cdebootstrap and debootstrap.  I wonder if debootstrap would be better to compile to run on the DNS-323.

#4 2007-02-13 03:27:47

tobyg

Ok, debootstrap and cdebootstrap are very similar.  debootstrap is a shell script, cdebootstrap is of course a c program.  I'm not entirely sure which is better.  debootstrap seems to be older.  It's kind of vague as far as which one does what better.

Anyway, I guess I will have to try debootstrap at some point.

But the entire reason I wanted to get cdebootstrap working is so I can install a fresh debian installation on my dns-323 directly, without having to install it first on a linux box, tar it up, and move it across.  And even then, there are a lot of other steps that need to be done.

With cdebootstrap running directly from the dns-323 box, I run it and I'm basically done.  I don't need to fix any broken packages or reinstall anything because it didn't install properly.

Additionally, I'm looking for a way to install debian from other media instead of downloading from a website every time.  I don't like relying on the internets for installing programs.

#5 2007-02-13 08:12:56

Apskaft

tobyg wrote:

Additionally, I'm looking for a way to install debian from other media instead of downloading from a website every time.  I don't like relying on the internets for installing programs.

The cdebootstrap takes MIRROR as an optional last argument. According to the sources you can achieve what you want by using the file:// prefix in the mirror argument. I.e.:

cdebootstrap -aarm sarge sarge file://path_to_debian_mirror

Code:

main.c
======
  else if (!strncmp (mirror, "file://", 7))
    snprintf (buf, 1024, "cp %s/%s %s", mirror + sizeof ("file://") - 1, source, target);

HTH/Apan

Board footer